T Bill

Cabelas Joins The Sales Tax Train.

Seems with the merger with Bass Pro, Cabelas now charges applicable sales tax on items shipped to NJ.  This in addition to a general noticing of higher prices this holiday season.  Just letting you know!

1 hour ago, JimB1 said:

At least they still ship ammo to NJ. Bass Pro didn’t last time I checked... :(

-Jim

Why buy ammo from Cabelas when there are so many better alternatives?  Don't get me wrong, I like Cabelas and order certain things from them, but not ammo.

14 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Why buy ammo from Cabelas when there are so many better alternatives?  Don't get me wrong, I like Cabelas and order certain things from them, but not ammo.

Because sometimes it's the cheapest.

Using their $20 off coupon in addition to a sale in addition to purchased discounted gift cards I was able to get a dozen flats of remington 12ga gunclub shells for $38/flat (250 shells) delivered to my door

If there's a better price than that please tell me where!

• Like 2

I purchase the majority of my ammo from Cabela's. 

With the combination of their sale prices, free shipping coupons, 10% discount gift cards purchased via ebay and the rebates via activejunky.com I'm usually realizing a 20%-40% discount on ammo shipped price versus other online retailers.

Plus they do a great job on packing, unlike other places where I've received the outer box split open with individual ammo boxes just about ready to fall out.

Amazon charged me sales tax on a case I ordered last night. I was surprised to say the least when I clicked buy at x price, then looked back and saw a few dollar increase when I checked out. I haven't noticed this before.  Seems a few more places are doing this as well, not just cabelas.

5 minutes ago, Chris1 said:

Amazon charged me sales tax on a case I ordered last night. I was surprised to say the least when I clicked buy at x price, then looked back and saw a few dollar increase when I checked out. I haven't noticed this before.  Seems a few more places are doing this as well, not just cabelas.

amazon's been charging us "estimated sales tax" for awhile now.

Just now, 1LtCAP said:

amazon's been charging us "estimated sales tax" for awhile now.

My last purchases were relatively small so this may have been why I've never noticed.  Not that the case was expensive, but I did notice the few dollar increase in price after checkout. 

I may have to start ordering ammo from cabelas given the discounts that are offered. 25$ for 50rd box of .45 is adding up!

1 hour ago, Chris1 said:

My last purchases were relatively small so this may have been why I've never noticed.  Not that the case was expensive, but I did notice the few dollar increase in price after checkout. 

I may have to start ordering ammo from cabelas given the discounts that are offered. 25$ for 50rd box of .45 is adding up!

yea. i noticed it when i went to the checkout a couple months ago. i don't like it.....but i guess they hafta do it

5 hours ago, Chris1 said:

Amazon LLC has "tax  nexus" in NJ due to the warehouses it built there. They've been there for quite some time. So it has to charge sales tax for any orders shipped to NJ addresses.  Same thing in Florida. It's why, probably, Amazon got all kinds of incentives by the state govts. for building the warehouses in those states.  Thus, anything sold by Amazon LLC itself will incur sales tax if shipped to a state where it has tax nexus.  If the item is sold by a partner (but "fulfilled by Amazon") and that partner does not have tax nexus in the state to which the merchandise is being shipped, then it might not incur sales tax, or if it's a full 3rd party merchant, etc. that doesn't have tax nexus in NJ.

As for Cabelas, could it be that they also built some facility in NJ that would give it tax nexus, or perhaps the merger has completed enough that there is only one corporate entity with merged assets that would also give tax nexus to Cabelas?  To be honest, I was wondering where this merger stood, as I'd figure that Bass Pro would, eventually, consume the Cabela's brand and make them all Bass Pro, and that hasn't seemed to have happened.... not yet.