diamondd817

Official Wheel Gun Picture Thread

My smallest and largest

NAA-hogleg-revolver-with-Taurus-Judge-a.

NAA mini-revolver "hogleg" .22LR with .22Mag conversion cylinder.

3" Taurus Judge .45LC / .410.  I've been beat up before for owning the Judge but everyone who's ever shot it has left with a big goofy grin on their face.

• Like 2

OK, I'll share four interesting Smith & Wessons (some of these have been posted before)... First up is the one that Alec requested - and given the breadth of his competitive Smiths, I'm flattered. This is a Performance Center 627-4 chambered in .38 Super. These were made ca 2003 for the distributor Bangers. I believe that there were two production runs of 300 guns each. This is from the first run and is #214. It has a non-fluted stainless cylinder (chamfered charge-holes) in DLC black and a 5.5" barrel. It came with both a ported muzzle cap and a plain one. It has a ball detent in the yoke. I use this gun for USPSA and ICORE and as such have changed out the sights to a plain LPA rear and a Dawson FO front. It has had an action job and been converted to DAO. The grips are made by KSD.

72xaab.jpg

Next up is a gun that I had built in the early 70's. I was a big fan of Skeeter Skelton (a gun writer of the time) who was a big fan of the .44 Special cartridge. I badly wanted an N-frame .44 Spl. This was after Smith discontinued the Model 24 in 67 and before they reintroduced it in early/mid-80's. J&G in AZ had original 6.5" Model 24 barrels available. I bought one and then found a Model 28-2 for the foundation of the conversion. George Matthews of Downey, CA did the conversion which consisted of boring out the cylinder - including rebating the chambers and squaring the face, and installing the barrel. It had a Patridge sight on it, which I had changed to a Baughman ramp with a gold insert. My buddy and I changed the trigger to a smooth combat trigger and installed a Model 14 SAO rebound spring (this was well before the days of just buying a Wolff spring). The optic was added sometime in the 80's and is a first generation (Japan) Tasco ProPoint red dot on a B-Square mount. The grip is a custom, one-off Hogue monogrip in Micarta with brass spacer.

2ptdq8j.jpg

The next two are limited run S&W L-frames. First is a Model 646, which is chambered in .40 S&W. Smith made about 400  Performance Center 646's with slab-sided barrels. Several years later they discovered left-over cylinders from that run. Smith is famous for never letting anything go to waste, so they utilized the remaining cylinders in a production run of regular production 646's with the round profile barrel with full underlug. There were appx 300 of these made. I used this for IDPA, until I retired it several years ago. It has an LPA plain rear sight and a Dawson FO front and basic action job - light stoning, Wolff springs and chamfered charge-holes. The grips are from the Smith X-frame Emergency Kit (they made an orange and a yellow one - one in .460 and the other in .500)

jzazpc.jpg

Lastly we have what is known as a Brazil Contract Model 586-4. These are unique guns in a number of respects and it is hard to pin Smith down as to number made and how many ended up in the U.S. If you have the SCSW (Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson) 3rd Edition and the fourth edition, you will notice there is additional info in the 4th edition - I was the source for that info. The most obvious feature is that these are chambered in .38 Special, not .357 Magnum. They have a 4.2" barrel which is the legal minimum for importation into some countries. The SCSW 3rd Ed talks about the 586-5 Brazil Contract guns which were shipped in 1993. The paradox is that the 586-4 (a chronologically older engineering change) were shipped in 1997 - four years after the 586-5's. The contract for the 586-5s was filled and the small overrun (<30) of the 4.2" guns were sold to U.S. distributors. The research that I did indicates that the second contract (the 586-4's) may have been canceled and the entire order sold to U.S. distributors, but I found nothing to corroborate this. Even if true, we are talking only several hundred guns. These 586-4's came with several features not found on regular production 586-4's. They have MIM cylinder releases (reg prod 1997) and MIM triggers (also 1997, but part of engineering change 586-6), yet retained the hammer mounted firing pin which was dropped in 1997 as part of 586-6. Suffice it to say that these are Frankenguns from the factory. This is a current IDPA gun and, again has an LPA rear sight. The front is a Dawson FO, but the original blade was integral with the ramp and base, so the blade and base were machined off and a Weigand sight base was installed that uses the interchangeable front blades. Light action job & springs and charge-hole chamfering plus the X-frame grips.

34xf501.jpg

Sorry if I got mired in minutiae, but that's what makes these special - besides, you asked for it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 5

9 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

My smallest and largest

NAA-hogleg-revolver-with-Taurus-Judge-a.

NNA mini-revolver "hogleg" .22LR with .22Mag conversion cylinder.

3" Taurus Judge .45LC / .410.  I've been beat up before for owning the Judge but everyone who's ever shot it has left with a big goofy grin on their face.

Isn’t a mini hog leg like a piglet leg? Or a wittle piggy toe?