Displaced Texan

The OFFICAL Displaced Texan’s smoked meats thread

Texas=Beef

South Carolina=Pork.

Two completely different "Q"s.  

Then the regional difference. Eastern Carolina, vinegar based. Western, tomato based.  Hatfield and McCoy attitudes between east and west.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I don't get why someone in South Carolina would want Texas BBQ.  Both sections of the US have top notch BBQ.  

Because they're not the same, different styles.

Carolinas favor pork while Texas is all about beef.  You'll find 3 different sauces in SC:  vinegar based near the NC border, mustard based in a central swath running NW to SE, and sweet tomato near GA.  Texas tends to be less about the sauce and while it's tomato based it's also thinner and not sweet.

• Like 1

I'll hijack Displaced Texan's thread to detail my latest smoker run.

I'd previously bought a whole boneless pork shoulder at Costco.  It was so cheap, it followed me home.  Then it sat in the chest freezer for months, once I realized how long it would take to smoke (it weighed 16 lbs).

This past weekend, I decided it was time. I figured I may as well do it right, and follow one of Myron Mixon's competition  recipes for pulled pork.   Myron wins a lot of competitions, but his recipes tend to be pretty complex...

I cooked up a batch of his hog injection, and injected the shoulder with almost two quarts of the stuff, leaving it to marinade overnight in the overflow.  Then I mixed up a batch of his basic BBQ rub, dried the shoulder, and gave it a good coating of rub. I fired up the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker with a crap ton of charcoal, lumps of pecan and apple, and filled the water pan to the brim.  The shoulder went on at 7:30 pm Friday, because it was going to have to smoke for 20 FREEKIN' HOURS!

Because I was committed to spending the night minding the smoker, I assembled my gear.   A bottle of Jim Beam Black bourbon, and a wireless thermometer that lets one monitor both smoker and meat temperature from up to 100 yards away, and also set minimum/maximum temperature alarms.  Around midnight, I set the smoker alarms to sound if the temp got too high or too low, and I went to sleep on the downstairs couch, just yards from the smoker.   Alarms around 3 am and 6 am prompted me to add more charcoal, and spray the meat with apple juice to keep it moist.   In the morning, I put a big tray of mixed nuts on the top rack to smoke for three hours.   The smoker got more charcoal and smoke wood, the meat got more apple juice sprays, and I got more bourbon as needed throughout the day.   In the afternoon, I put on two dozen ABTs (bacon-wrapped jalepeno poppers), and started cooking up a batch of Mixon's hog glaze, which first requires making a batch of his vinegar sauce, because he lists that as an ingredient in the hog glaze.   I told you his stuff is complicated...   The shoulder was glazed at 2:30, and between 3:30 and 4 everything came off of the smoker.   

The guests feasted on the poppers and smoked nuts, while the shoulder rested until it was cool enough to pull.

The pulled pork was exquisite!   Best I've ever had.   People are still raving about it, which is good, since I've got well over 10 pounds left over to freeze.

I served it with homemade cole slaw, Bush's baked beans to which I'd added a lot of the smoked pork, and biscuits.   The pork was too good to sauce, so I served sauce on the side.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

THATS how you do good bbq!! Great job!

I noticed pics are missing! Did y’all tear into it before photo documenting it? Lol

It's more a matter of not being able to post photos here directly, and being too lazy to put them on an external service and link to this board.   I do have a decent photo of the poppers.  The meat, as you know, looks pretty hideous after that much time in the smoker, so the only photo I took was after it was pulled, and that can't convey the gustatory joy of consuming the pork.

I get it, I was just busting your balls...and implying that it was too good to stop and take pics of that lovely pulled pork!

Sounds like you hit it out of the park with this one. 

Please, feel free to post your bbq stories and processes! We can all learn and be inspired!