Ray Ray

Recommended smokers

I would like to start smoking meat, but I don't know what to look for.

Bass Pro shops has one on sale and I want to pick it up. 

http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/smoke-hollow-36-propane-smoker-with-window

Where is @Displaced Texan!

Ray Ray I have the master built sportsman elite . Its electric and does and great job ive only used it for venison snack sticks and jerky so far one thing I did find out is carful on how much wood chips you put in a hand full is good 3 um not the best idea LOL I was tossed between the propane and electric and decided on electric since I don't have to worry if the tank will run out. 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the Weber Smokey Mountain.  I have several in 18" and one 22".  The 18 is a good size for most. 

There is an excellent website dedicated to methods and recipes:  http://virtualweberbullet.com

I have competed in KCBS sanctioned matches with nothing but WSMs and have placed multiple times.

Look up the "minion method" for an easy way to smoke something over a long period of time.  Once you lock in the temperature you are good to go and leave it unattended, for the most part.

If you're willing to spend a little more (above $500) you're into Green Egg and/or Pellet smoker territory.  I have a friend with a Rec Tec who really likes it and produces some amazing stuff on it.  

• Like 1

Here I am!

I’ve used several types of smokers/cookers over the years, but the one I get the best and most consistent results from is the Pit Barrel Cooker. 

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/

It’s easy to use...set it and forget it, no fooling with temperature. Almost idiot proof (which is why I use it). Be sure to get the poultry hangars if you plan on doing chicken/turkey on it. 

We are cooking our thanksgiving turkey tomorrow, so if you’ll tune into the ‘Displaced Texan’s smoked meat’ thread, I’ll walk you through what I do. 

• Like 1

Most purists will tell you that you'd get a better smoke and texture using only wood.

Reality is that you'll get very good results by using pellets in an electric smoker, and undoubtedly more consistent than using a wood smoker. It'll be plenty to cut your teeth on and you can find out what your likes/dislikes are.

Keep in mind.

Don't oversmoke.

Start with a mellow wood at first.

Pork butt is probably the easiest to start with and get great results.

I'm also a fan of the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.   They have quite a fan base online.   I've got the 18", which is their mid-sized version.   Just big enough to smoke a turkey of up to 14=16 lbs.   Using both racks, you could smoke 6 racks of ribs at a time, and it's fairly economical of charcoal/smoke wood.   Plan to add a good remote reading thermometer, both for greater accuracy, and so that you can keep an eye on the smoker and the meat temps from wherever you happen to be.   

• Like 1

Well, depending on how much you are looking to smoke at a time, I am using a Weber kettle grill for smoking most of the time and it doubles as a charcoal grill. You can get very good results using charcoal and smoke bombs made up from soaked wood in aluminum foil. When the wood stops smoking, drop another bomb on the charcoal.

Some random thoughts:

• Pecan wood goes well with nearly everything, it's a mild wood with a sweet flavor.
  • Fish smokes really quick
  • Do not eat the skin on poultry that you smoke (it turns to leather)
  • Beef ribs are better slow smoked. Don't under smoke them because they get tough first then once they get past that they get tender.
  • Soak poultry in a brine for at least 12 hours before cooking to keep it moist
  • Indirect heat is the name of the game
  • Aluminum foil is your friend
  • Do not spoil good BBQ with too much sauce (some say any sauce is too much but I like carolina mustard sauce and anything vinegar based)

You can go the dedicated smoker route and initially I got one of the bullet ones but I like using the kettle more. It just works well.

This is the first Thanksgiving in years that I am not smoking a turkey (making a spiral cut ham this year) so you can definitely do a 16lb turkey in the kettle, I know from experience :)

-Jim

IMG_1327.jpg

Love the kettles too.  Once I picked up a 26" it has become my main workhorse.  I would recommend the 26" size for smoking.  I do some great ribs on it.  Pork shoulder too.  Brisket... that one is tough (no pun intended) on a kettle.  The 22" kettle just isn't large enough, IMO.  I started smoking on a 22" kettle.  

One thing to note, temperature control is a lot more labor intensive and temperamental on the kettle than with a WSM.  A WSM is mostly set and forget, but a kettle will require regularly maintenance throughout the cook.  

If I could only have one bbq/grill it would be the 26" kettle because it is the most versatile.  The WSM is not a good grill, but it's a much better (purpose built) smoker.  

Here are some pics of kettle and WSMs over the years

wsmkettle.png

brisket.png

ribs.png

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Would wood burning ones have better flavor?

Purists say yes and all the top BBQ pit masters use wood or pellet burning smokers so that tells me a lot.

I personally like charcoal/wood better then electric or propane for smoking but a lot of that is philosophy.

When I am smoking stuff it forces me to slow down and not be doing a hundred things at once. Every hour or two drop a smoke bomb, drop in a few briquettes of charcoal when it's getting low, maintain the temps, etc. I have to be aware of what I am doing. Not necessarily constantly on top of it like grilling fish or something but just aware.

I use propane when I just need to get stuff done, grilling steak or chicken for dinner after work or something.

Charcoal/Wood cooking is just more relaxing to me. Sit on the deck, have a beer, play guitar, check on the temps, drop some charcoal, have another beer. Repeat until the food is ready.

-Jim

• Like 2

I bought the Rec Tec 680 3 years ago and loved it so much that I bought the 300 to take camping with us. They're a little pricey but I use mine almost everyday. Turkey and Mac n cheese are in my 680 right now, stuffing is in the 300. These things are truly set it and forget it, no babysitting. Never once have we had anything we didn't like come off of it. Not only is it a smoker but you can bump up the temp to 550 and do some burgers and steaks too. I recently built a UDS (ugly drum smoker). Very cost effective way to get into smoking and it hold temps VERY well for hours. Rec Tec just came out with another version of pellet grill that looks like your typical weber charcoal grill but runs off pellets. $400 shipped I believe. Probably gonna buy that too, just because. Happy Smoking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichP said:

Keep in mind.

Don't oversmoke.

Start with a mellow wood at first.

Pork butt is probably the easiest to start with and get great results.

Pretty good advice. 

Oversmoking is a crime, IMHO. I want to taste the meat, not be overwhelmed by the smoke. Mesquite is a pretty strong smoke, I only use it for brisket/beef short ribs, and even then, only a little. Less is more!!

• Like 1

One last thing, while I am a huge fan of Memphis BBQ and prefer it overall to any of the rest; the single best BBQ I've ever had was at Aaron Franklin's place in Austin.

Luckily, he has all of his recipes and step-by-step cooking instructions on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQwithFranklin/videos

I have a BGE, masterbuilt electric and use my Weber kettle.  

If you’re trying to keep cost down get the electric, it has a wood tray and it turns out great food.  I’ve used my charcoal grill with coal holders but it’s a lot more work to manage termperature and you have to add lump or coals throughout the process.  It’s fine for ribs, etc if you have spare time but it a pain for longer cooking things. 

Electric is easy to get consistent temp with the built in settings and the single air vent. I’d recommend it anytime for the casual and occasional smoker.