vladtepes

Gun Safe Rifle Organization?

I saw this advertised, but thought it was too much $$$$ for what it was. Envision an engine exhaust valve, but with a long stem. On the mushroom end it is covered with Velcro and the "roof" of the safe with corresponding Velcro . The long stem is stuck down the barrel and then it is extended upward to mate the Velcro surfaces, thus making the rifle free standing, but supported by the stem/dowel down the barrel.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I use this stuff. Much easier. Removed all guts except for top shelf and the rest just fits in anyway you want it.
https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/gun-safe/gun-safe-kits/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

I saw this advertised, but thought it was too much $$$$ for what it was. Envision an engine exhaust valve, but with a long stem. On the mushroom end it is covered with Velcro and the "roof" of the safe with corresponding Velcro . The long stem is stuck down the barrel and then it is extended upward to mate the Velcro surfaces, thus making the rifle free standing, but supported by the stem/dowel down the barrel.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I spent the $ and they have really made a difference in my long gun storage.

image.png

25 minutes ago, bhunted said:

I use this stuff. Much easier. Removed all guts except for top shelf and the rest just fits in anyway you want it.
https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/gun-safe/gun-safe-kits/

I really like the look of that.. but is it sturdy.. and how does it attach to the back of the safe.. 

I looked at the velcro dowel thing.. but I don't know.. I have some pretty bulky heavy guns.. doesn't seam like it would hold them?

I really like the look of that.. but is it sturdy.. and how does it attach to the back of the safe.. 

I looked at the velcro dowel thing.. but I don't know.. I have some pretty bulky heavy guns.. doesn't seam like it would hold them?

The panels screw into the back and then you mount the top part of the racks at any height you want and the butt of the gun sits in the footing. Its sturdy. Even more so if you use the bungee balls they give you but you don’t need them. You can cheat if you have carpet interior walks. Just get the hook side of velcro and attach it to the back plate. Just make sure it sticks good. I just screwed them in. Was easy.

I was able to get 8 across. So just bought a 6 pack and 2 pack. Every so often they are on sale on Amazon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bhunted said:

The panels screw into the back and then you mount the top part of the racks at any height you want and the butt of the gun sits in the footing. Its sturdy. Even more so if you use the bungee balls they give you but you don’t need them. You can cheat if you have carpet interior walks. Just get the hook side of velcro and attach it to the back plate. Just make sure it sticks good. I just screwed them in. Was easy.

love it.. you think it would be OK.. with like AR.. optics.. and flashlight? like enough room?

1 hour ago, vladtepes said:

LOL I am actually buying a job site box to move all my ammo to.. which will make plenty of room in the safe.. but I just want a more organized layout.. 

I would not recommend that - if God forbid you have a fire - you just kinda made a bomb.

Unless you properly vent it and or do not keep the lid locker down.

As far as I recall for at leat powner storage most recommendation are wood.  Ymmv

• Like 2

love it.. you think it would be OK.. with like AR.. optics.. and flashlight? like enough room?

I have 1 bolt action, 1 Tavor, 3 ARs, 1 Wasr, 1 Ben M4 and 1 lever action. It takes some experiments with the bolts, charge handles, or anything sticking out the sides, but optics are no prob. The upper bracket keeps things away from back wall. I have optics on everything except the shotty and lever. Just got to experiment.

I would not recommend that - if God forbid you have a fire - you just kinda made a bomb.

As far as I recall for at leat powner storage most recommendation are wood.  Ymmv

Pshaw... Saami set a whole trailer of ammo on fire with minimal fireworks. [emoji12]

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

not really a bomb... powder is inside cartridge.. round is in metal ammo can.. metal ammo can is inside metal chest.. 

the rounds will cook off.. but at different times.. the powder will burn.. but not explode.. and it will be a mess.. but not really a "bomb".. without a barrel to really build pressure.. nothing is really going to happen.. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

By the time the rounds "cook off" the house will be toast anyway.  I have stored ammo in M2A1 cans since the 80's.  As long as they are kept in a cool place, they work fine,  Still shooting CF I loaded in the early 90's and surplus from the 80's.  Nice idea using a job box, only problem is when you are looking for something. PIA moving cans in and out to find what you want or having to move the job box to a different location.   It'll end up like a chest freezer, something always manages to park it's self on the lid. Hate that.

I don't think a job site box used for storing ammo will create enough explosive force to make a bomb.  There was a lot of ammo stored in WTC on 9/11.  Yes there were injuries by this ammo cooking off but those were mostly eye injuries.  I saw lead bullet 38 spl that had the lead melted out of the brass and set off the powder but did not get hot enough to set off the primer.  Keep in mind the lead melted  before the powder cooked off. There is a SAAMI video on ammo cooking off which shows that small arms ammo cooking off only has the potential to cause eye injuries.  It doesn't get much velocity due to the early expansion of the case.  Storing small arms ammo in a container doesn't cause much danger to firefighters.   When Ray's Sport Shop burned to the ground in the early 70s most firefighters backed off from the sound of the ammo cooking off not from the effects.

I was also witness to the aftermath of the ammo dump in Chu Lai blowing up in 1968 from enemy action.  Small arms ammo did no real damage.  500 lb bombs and artillery rounds did. Both both required an explosion from another source to set them off.  I witnessed 500 lb bombs that the VC and NVA had fires built around them to melt the explosive out of.  Of course there are those who consider me an old fart that doesn't know what he's talking about.

If you feel you must lock up ammo I think a security cabinet will do if you have that much.

As far as organizing a safe I've found that you'd be hard pressed to store 10 guns with scopes in a 10 gun safe.  If you use gun socks and store some muzzle up and some muzzle down you might get 20 long guns in a 10 gun safe.

Also some words of advice regarding "gun collections".  A friend of mine after Sandy had about a dozen nice guns he lost and claimed them as a "collectiion". His homeowners carrier told him that "collections" needed to be covered by a separate rider and wouldn't cover them.  He went to an attornery who told him that if he had claimed them as "household contents" they would have been covered.  Read your policy and determine if they're covered.

I understand most legal gun owners are concerned with their guns being stolen and used for nefarious purposes.  If you have $20,000 shotguns and $50,000 drillings your priorities would be different.

I am not a believer if you own two or three guns you need a "safe".  If you want some suggestions where to hide your guns PM me.

JMO

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

I don't think a job site box used for storing ammo will create enough explosive force to make a bomb.  There was a lot of ammo stored in WTC on 9/11.  Yes there were injuries by this ammo cooking off but those were mostly eye injuries.  I saw lead bullet 38 spl that had the lead melted out of the brass and set off the powder but did not get hot enough to set off the primer.  Keep in mind the lead melted  before the powder cooked off. There is a SAAMI video on ammo cooking off which shows that small arms ammo cooking off only has the potential to cause eye injuries.  It doesn't get much velocity due to the early expansion of the case.  Storing small arms ammo in a container doesn't cause much danger to firefighters.   When Ray's Sport Shop burned to the ground in the early 70s most firefighters backed off from the sound of the ammo cooking off not from the effects.

I was also witness to the aftermath of the ammo dump in Chu Lai blowing up in 1968 from enemy action.  Small arms ammo did no real damage.  500 lb bombs and artillery rounds did. Both both required an explosion from another source to set them off.  I witnessed 500 lb bombs that the VC and NVA had fires built around them to melt the explosive out of.  Of course there are those who consider me an old fart that doesn't know what he's talking about.

If you feel you must lock up ammo I think a security cabinet will do if you have that much.

As far as organizing a safe I've found that you'd be hard pressed to store 10 guns with scopes in a 10 gun safe.  If you use gun socks and store some muzzle up and some muzzle down you might get 20 long guns in a 10 gun safe.

Also some words of advice regarding "gun collections".  A friend of mine after Sandy had about a dozen nice guns he lost and claimed them as a "collectiion". His homeowners carrier told him that "collections" needed to be covered by a separate rider and wouldn't cover them.  He went to an attornery who told him that if he had claimed them as "household contents" they would have been covered.  Read your policy and determine if they're covered.

I understand most legal gun owners are concerned with their guns being stolen and used for nefarious purposes.  If you have $20,000 shotguns and $50,000 drillings your priorities would be different.

I am not a believer if you own two or three guns you need a "safe".  If you want some suggestions where to hide your guns PM me.

JMO

I believe if you own ONE gun.. you need a safe.. lol

I definitely don't want to suffer the loss of theft.. but equally or even more important.. I don't want MY guns to end up on the street in the hands fo a criminal.. my safe is on a live video feed whenever I am not home.. the safe just has to stop them long enough for the police to get there.. the police department is walking distance to my home.. so I think I am OK.. 

good info on the insurance.. 

• Like 1

Now is the time dude. 50% Black Friday deals!

7e15cdc3-1b57-4dc8-9c8b-7ed322c30d23.png

Shop SecureIt and Save!

Save big this Black Friday when you shop SecureIt. Starting today, you can save up to 50% on select SecureIt products like the Steel 6 Retrofit Kit, Agile Model 52, Model 84 24/24 Gun Cabinet, and more! Visit our website to learn more about these specials.

Exclusive Website Specials

$80 for a 6 pack! Damn, wish this sale was around when I got mine.

• Like 1

I think there might be some misconception of what I am concerned about -

I understand the physics of how and why rounds cook off in a chamber as opposed to just a fire without brass case support.

What my concern was/is if the expanding hot gasses - if the expanding hot gasses either are released quick enough and/or contained to such a level that the pressure can build in the storage vessel - at some point the integrity of the containing vessel will yield to the ever expanding gasses and go "boom"  :)

That is why for a powder storage magazine the NFPA calls for WOOD and not steel storage.  YMMV but I personally would avoid the job box for the ammo.

It is also nice to see all the other valid empircal data.

Powder by itself is a different issue than loaded ammo.  If powder at one side of the storage container gets hot enough to cook off it will set the rest of the powder in the magazine off.  That will build up a lot of pressure.

Loaded ammo cooking off will do so more progressively as it gets hot. When some rounds cook off they will not set off all of the ammo.  No where near the pressure of a powder magazine would experience.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bhunted said:

Shop SecureIt and Save!

Save big this Black Friday when you shop SecureIt. Starting today, you can save up to 50% on select SecureIt products like the Steel 6 Retrofit Kit, Agile Model 52, Model 84 24/24 Gun Cabinet, and more! Visit our website to learn more about these specials.

already ordered the steel one for like $90 LOL 

thanks for the info.. I am pretty excited to finally get the safe organized.. and this allows for the last firearms purchase I have on my radar.. it won't be soon.. but some type of bolt gun.. = O 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2017 at 9:20 AM, bhunted said:

Shop SecureIt and Save!

I definitely like their storage concept. I'm interested in the Model 52 gun cabinet since it's light weight (upstairs apartment and I hope to move soon), but I wonder if it would be better to get a cheaper security cabinet and put in a SecureIt retrofit kit? It seems a bit much for a gun cabinet, but I guess the payoff is mobility and their cradle grid system. For reference, no safe yet...just a locked closet. 

2 hours ago, Persona non grata said:

I definitely like their storage concept. I'm interested in the Model 52 gun cabinet since it's light weight (upstairs apartment and I hope to move soon), but I wonder if it would be better to get a cheaper security cabinet and put in a SecureIt retrofit kit? It seems a bit much for a gun cabinet, but I guess the payoff is mobility and their cradle grid system. For reference, no safe yet...just a locked closet. 

IMO a safe is significantly more resistant to break in than a cabinet.. I would not personally trust a cabinet.. I have a 400lb safe on the top floor of my house.. and it holds fine.. 

12 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

IMO a safe is significantly more resistant to break in than a cabinet.. I would not personally trust a cabinet.. I have a 400lb safe on the top floor of my house.. and it holds fine.. 

I guess I figure that any determined criminal with a $20 Harbor Freight grinder can get into most gun "safes" rather easily by simply popping a hole into the side. I'm more worried about the smash and grab type, which is much more likely.

3 hours ago, Persona non grata said:

I guess I figure that any determined criminal with a $20 Harbor Freight grinder can get into most gun "safes" rather easily by simply popping a hole into the side. I'm more worried about the smash and grab type, which is much more likely.

I guess with a cabinet.. I am more worried about them taking the whole damn thing with them.. and opening it later.. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I guess with a cabinet.. I am more worried about them taking the whole damn thing with them.. and opening it later.. 

If not bolted to the floor or the wall behind it (preferably studs) I would agree. Anything I would get would be bolted.