I have a question here that last time I see it mentioned here was 2011, and wanted to make sure it holds true today. I am looking for a concealed carry ammo, I live in NJ but will be carrying while out of state.  I am looking at the hornady critical defense/duty ammo for my carry weapon, and wanted to see if anyone has any recent information on its legality in NJ and beyond.  The kid at the store was going to sell me hallow points and thought because they sold them, they are legal to carry, I know this is not true. Any advice would be appreciated. I know you can get in quite a bit of trouble in NJ transporting the incorrect ammo if you are not using it for hunting/range etc..

If you transport the gun unloaded and stored per NJ statute and you are headed for a public range across the bridge you are good to go. You are allowed to transport hollow point ammo from your residence to a range and back. If the range you are using is in another state, so be it. You may not transport a handgun for the purpose of CCW in a free state where you are permitted to do so. Tell the cop you going to a range that is on the route you are taking. I carry my ears and range directions with me to make it more believable even though I don't have to!

As to the Hornady ammo, I never got a straight answer on that one. It is obviously expanding ammo so I doubt it would pass muster here.

• Like 1

As stated above keep them separate until you enter free America. Then who cares what NJ Law is. Once you cross back into the PRNJ separate again. Remember not matter where you went you are on your way to and back from a Range.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

If you transport the gun unloaded and stored per NJ statute and you are headed for a public range across the bridge you are good to go. You are allowed to transport hollow point ammo from your residence to a range and back. If the range you are using is in another state, so be it. You may not transport a handgun for the purpose of CCW in a free state where you are permitted to do so. Tell the cop you going to a range that is on the route you are taking. I carry my ears and range directions with me to make it more believable even though I don't have to!

As to the Hornady ammo, I never got a straight answer on that one. It is obviously expanding ammo so I doubt it would pass muster here.

IANAL, but is my understanding that one can transport a firearm from one legal location (such as your home) to another legal location (like a place where one can concealed carry), without having to stop at a range.  Certainly, your charade can't hurt, if it makes you more comfortable, but I don't believe it's necessary.  

As for the Hornady ammo, I agree that this is still somewhat ambiguous.  Someone posted a letter from NJSP saying that it is OK, since it's not hollow point, but the language of the statute mentions "expanding ammunition."  I believe they are legal to carry in most states, and since we can't carry in NJ anyway, the point is mostly moot (aside from transportation issues).  

12 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Not true. There is a case decided by the State Appellate Court, where a New Jersey resident had a New York City, carry permit. He applied for a permit to carry in New Jersey and was denied, however, the judge said it was legal for him to transport his gun to New York City, because he had a legal purpose for it at his destination.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

<tinfoil> another strange ammo question:?

I know what you're saying... but then again...

1)  The election of Murphy is undoubtedly going to drive new users to these forums, or perhaps make them more active. We can't afford to be too paranoid... or we drive people away from these forums (or worse yet, the shooting sports) by accident.

2)  And let's consider the worst... that anti-2A people are suddenly "snooping" around here... what will they really learn?

• They might look at the resources section which has the results of large credible crime studies (they'll see that law-abiding gun owners have been proven to be incredibly unlikely to commit crime, and that an overwhelming proportion of serious crime - including those using guns - are committed by career criminals/former felons). They'll learn that the dreaded AR-15 is RARELY used in gun crimes. Etc., etc. For me personally, looking at the results of crime studies was nothing less than eye-opening.
  • They'll also realize that gun owners in NJ are subjected to a quagmire of laws which often make NO sense --- and yet they go out of their way to know them, and help educate newbies.
  • Taken together - they might even start wondering (as many crime researchers themselves have done) - wow, are we putting emphasis on the wrong people? Instead of making life harder for law-abiding gun owners, should we instead focus on tougher sentencing, parole, bail programs --- and more importantly, programs that keep kids off the gangbanger/felon path in the first place?

I read this site on and off for a few years before I joined --- one of the reasons I joined is because people sounded rational, well-informed, helpful, etc. - not the "gun nuts" I had been programmed by the media to expect. I'm not as worried as some of you about people snooping. If they're zealots, you won't change them anyway, but if they're even slightly rational --- they might find themselves looking at things differently.

• Like 4

that's why i did the "<tinfoil> thing.......and they could glean things such as above........:::: Remember not matter where you went you are on your way to and back from a Range. :::::::::: then relay to pd's who then would be much more suspicious in those situations(even though no one is legitimately doing anything wrong in the first place) or of course there'll inevitably be the "well i carry XXX ammo and jersey laws be damed!" response sooner or later.

yea.....i'm paranoid, and generally try to not say too much in that area.......

• Like 1

15 hours ago, demonicdave said:

I have a question here that last time I see it mentioned here was 2011, and wanted to make sure it holds true today. I am looking for a concealed carry ammo, I live in NJ but will be carrying while out of state.  I am looking at the hornady critical defense/duty ammo for my carry weapon, and wanted to see if anyone has any recent information on its legality in NJ and beyond.  The kid at the store was going to sell me hallow points and thought because they sold them, they are legal to carry, I know this is not true. Any advice would be appreciated. I know you can get in quite a bit of trouble in NJ transporting the incorrect ammo if you are not using it for hunting/range etc..

What store?

What firearm you going to carry?

What state(s)?

Under what non resident liscense?

Not true. There is a case decided by the State Appellate Court, where a New Jersey resident had a New York City, carry permit. He applied for a permit to carry in New Jersey and was denied, however, the judge said it was legal for him to transport his gun to New York City, because he had a legal purpose for it at his destination.
That is very interesting. Do you recall the case name?

Zeke,

I applied for my NJ FID, waiting on that to get back now, I applied for NH non-resident since they have resiprocity with PA, I also applied for Virginia non resident that gets me like 28 states or something. I have put a deposit down on a HK VP40, that should be in next week but will be held until my NJ FID gets approved which, if I don't hear back by mid next week I will be calling, they have 30 days by law to approve it.

3 minutes ago, demonicdave said:

Zeke,

I applied for my NJ FID, waiting on that to get back now, I applied for NH non-resident since they have resiprocity with PA, I also applied for Virginia non resident that gets me like 28 states or something. I have put a deposit down on a HK VP40, that should be in next week but will be held until my NJ FID gets approved which, if I don't hear back by mid next week I will be calling, they have 30 days by law to approve it.

Welcome to the forum. 

• Like 2

Thanks, just getting my feet wet in it now, I travel a lot and go to some crazy areas at times for work. Nowhere seems totally safe anymore. There was just a shooting/suicide at a truck stop in the middle of Kentucky that we go to sometimes when we are out that way, it is getting to the point that you never know when you will need it, and I don't want to be unprotected anymore. I am getting too old to fight and I'm too out of shape to run away.

Capt, Maybe this one?

www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/USDisCtOnTransportingFirearmsThruAirports.pdf

Just now, demonicdave said:

Capt, Maybe this one?

www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/USDisCtOnTransportingFirearmsThruAirports.pdf

mentions airports specifically separate, but sounds like if you are transporting them legal in NJ for use where you can, you are OK

53 minutes ago, demonicdave said:

Zeke,

Good luck on your 30 days! 

And also! Welcome to the forum!

did you also put in for handgun permit (s)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, demonicdave said:

Supposedly my town is pretty quick, a friend that lives down the street said they are anyway, he knows the guy that does the permitting though, I may have him check into it for me if I don't hear anything.

VA or WV? One is online and like $30 bucks or sumtin..

Virginia, nonresident is like an hour class online, then you request your packet, fill it out, get fingerprinted, send a good photo and a cashiers check and a couple copies of personal documents then wait, the paperwork says it could take 3-6 months though. hopefully not, but I should have New Hampshire back next week and be able to go a few places legally until Virginia comes back.

Zeke,

Took me 7 months. Every subsequent package of pistol permits also 6-7 months. I live in the town I grew up in and I went to school with the wife of the guy who handles the firearms.

took me about 9 months the first time, 8 months the second time. pisses me off. in a big way. no excuse.
Nope there is none whatsoever I'm curious what town OP is in and if calling after 30 days will get him anywhere. It didn't get me anywhere.

2 hours ago, demonicdave said:

Virginia, nonresident is like an hour class online, then you request your packet, fill it out, get fingerprinted, send a good photo and a cashiers check and a couple copies of personal documents then wait, the paperwork says it could take 3-6 months though. hopefully not, but I should have New Hampshire back next week and be able to go a few places legally until Virginia comes back.

What states does VA get you? Curious 

40 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Nope there is none whatsoever I'm curious what town OP is in and if calling after 30 days will get him anywhere. It didn't get me anywhere.

it didn;t get me anywhere. and i went to school with the lady that works the desk in my pd. grew up with the chief(although we fell outta touch like 20 years ago). got to a point where i was calling every week. then every other day. didn't do squat.

47 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

it didn;t get me anywhere. and i went to school with the lady that works the desk in my pd. grew up with the chief(although we fell outta touch like 20 years ago). got to a point where i was calling every week. then every other day. didn't do squat.

I am in Asbury Park, NJ, supposedly they issue quickly, but we will find out, I will be calling next week, if I don't hear anything. I will probably have my NH carry permit, before I get my purchase permit in NJ. I hope not, I already made a down payment on the pistol.

I believe it is somewhere  around 28 states or so

It looks like VA and Utah both cover the same amount of states. The difference is Utah gives you Washington and Virginia gives you NM. The rest are the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk