Zeke

Grocery/ meal kit delivery service

20 minutes ago, TokenEntry said:

Zeke,

Are you referring to Meals on Wheels or grocery store delivery?

Regards,

TokenEntry

Um, not meals on wheels.. isn’t that for seniors?

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

We do blue apron, and we love it.

Hmmn looking into blue apron

We do Blue Apron too. But only about every other week, or every three.

Bottom line: pretty interesting recipes we would never think of. work required to make the meals, but generally we think it's worth it. $10/person/meal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

We do blue apron, and we love it.

That's interesting. I had looked into a few of them (Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, etc.) because I thought the idea was intriguing. But I opted out because I found the price point was higher than compared to just buying enough groceries for the week and doing a certain amount of "meal prepping" one night. But, then again, I'm just cooking for one, which makes a big difference. For a busy family, it does sound like a nice balance between healthy eating and convenience. If it turns cooking the meal into shared "family time", so much the better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TokenEntry said:

Sorry, misunderstood the question.

Regards,

TokenEntry

No biggy

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

We do Blue Apron too. But only about every other week, or every three.

Bottom line: pretty interesting recipes we would never think of. work required to make the meals, but generally we think it's worth it. $10/person/meal.

What about Home delivery of just groceries? Only thing that concerns me is the quality of the veggies and fruits ( like bacon)

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

What about Home delivery of just groceries? Only thing that concerns me is the quality of the veggies and fruits ( like bacon)

If I had that service in my area, I'd do it in a heartbeat. How convenient! Even if I used it just for non-perishable items - detergents, paper goods, etc. It would cut down my time at the grocery store.

Just now, Zeke said:

That’s meal preped correct? Like kits

Yes, that list I gave is some of the most popular companies that send the "kits" with all the fresh ingredients, the recipe, etc. 

• Like 1

We tried Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. Decided we liked Blue Apron better.

We get two meals for four people every week. 

Making the meals takes about 35-45 minutes and has become much loved family time. Even my 7 year old helps chop and cook and set the table with no arguing.

The quality of the food has been very good and the recipes we have chosen have mostly been winners - a few I have not cared for - with a few recipes making our favorite dishes list. 

My favorite part is that we try different dishes and new food that normally we wouldn’t (I had Romanesco Cauliflower the other day for the first time and it was delicious) and makes us cook dishes we normally wouldn’t tackle on our own.

The Little Chef:

xPnAM1t.jpg

the finished product:

BypWF63.jpg

This was Chicken with Drop Biscuits (basically Chicken Pot Pie). It was really good

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

We tried Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. Decided we liked Blue Apron better.

We get two meals for four people every week. 

Making the meals takes about 35-45 minutes and has become much loved family time. Even my 7 year old helps chop and cook and set the table with no arguing.

The quality of the food has been very good and the recipes we have chosen have mostly been winners - a few I have not cared for - with a few recipes making our favorite dishes list. 

My favorite part is that we try different dishes and new food that normally we wouldn’t (I had Romanesco Cauliflower the other day for the first time and it was delicious) and makes us cook dishes we normally wouldn’t tackle on our own.

The Little Chef:

xPnAM1t.jpg

the finished product:

BypWF63.jpg

This was Chicken with Drop Biscuits (basically Chicken Pot Pie). It was really good

Why blue apron Better?

2 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Blue apron is good.  But. I eat like 3 of the four servings.  And those freezer packs build up too much.  

You can send the freezer packs back for free. They will give you a shipping label and you pack up one of your BA boxes and drop it off at the Post office. 

• Like 1

We have tried several of the meal kit delivery services, Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, and Home Chef. 

Mrs Tex and I have found we prefer Home Chef. We liked the ingredients better, as well as the recipe selections. They fit our calorie and palate preferences the best. We schedule a delivery once a month, just as a break from our regular cooking. It’s fun to try new dishes, a little outside the box from what we normally cook. 

I encourage anyone to try them. Lots of fun and good cooking!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

No biggy

So far (four months) all the Blue Apron ingredients have been obviously very fresh. And they way they pack and cool it ensures they stay fresh even for 24 hours after shipment. We had that test. (See below)

Yes, the cost is more than a meal you can construct from Shoprite. But for us the point of Blue Apron is they send you the portions of all the ingredients you need for the dish. If you need two ounces of Balsamic vinegar, they send you two ounces of Balsamic vinegar. If we wanted to construct the same menu we'd be searching for hours and have to buy way more than we needed for a meal for two of us, and end up throwing out remainders of exotic ingredients. Just go on their website and peruse the menus. You'll see what I mean.

Early on there were shipment problems (wrong ingredients, missing ingredients) and delivery problems (lost shipment, delivered to the wrong address). Every time I pointed out the errors they issued an appropriate credit and apology. We got three or four shipments for free because their carrier (LaserShip) screwed up. But the last several shipments have been on time and correct, so maybe it was just growing pains.

They send complete recipe cards with ingredients and instructions. If you like one and want to recreate it, nothing stops you from buying the ingredients all over again on your own.

Look, if you want to eat cheaper Blue Apron is not your thing. If you want to experiment with new recipes and ingredients they're pretty good. No fuss, no muss, just some more time dedicated to prep and cook. Based on our schedule we only take deliveries every two weeks at a maximum. We let the orders through when we know we'll be here to cook them and have the time and inclination. I would only add that out of about 40 meals, only three or four have been just 'OK'. The others were 'I wouldn't have thought of that'!

We do Blue Apron.  It works for us.  Different flavor profiles and pretty convenient.  We shop at Whole Foods (for a variety of reasons) so it's not that much more expensive for us.  

We also have delivery from Fresh Direct.  Again, it's just easier.  

The food delivery is for my wife on the nights she cooks.  She works full time and wrangles two teenagers thru the crap that teenagers deal out.  I cook mornings and two nights and go and gather stuff that day for the meal I'm preparing.  I used to cook for a living so it's relatively easy for me to make something happen.

We've been doing Blue Apron for about 2 1/2 years now and still love it.  We get 3 meals for 2 people every week.  I have a few free boxes to give away (3 meals for 2 people), so if you want, PM me your email and I can send you a link.