Ray Ray

357 Sig, can it come back?

I figured if the 10mm is supposedly making a comeback as the 40S&W fades away, will the 357 Sig do the same?  Well, it won't eclipse the wonder 9 or the 45 ACP but it could fill a gap in between.  What's not to like?  Ammo cost is the main reason new calibers die.  

45 minutes ago, AlexTheSane said:

What makes you think that .40S&W is dying?  I see articles dating back to 2012 stating that it's dying.  It's still around, still readily available.  

New gun and LEO guns are declining in sales.  Sure you'll be able to buy ammo for the next 50 years.  To me personally I never saw the need for it.  As well as the fact I don't shoot it well.

Raymond - I have a free GLOCK coming and am seriously considering a 357 Sig.  Mainly for hunting and shits and giggles. Only mods I'll make will be adjustable sights and a 5.5" barrel as opposed to the stock 4.5"

1 hour ago, AlexTheSane said:

What makes you think that .40S&W is dying?  I see articles dating back to 2012 stating that it's dying.  It's still around, still readily available.  

There is another thread discussing this.  It's been proven.  The caliber is falling.

@Old School, can I get a barrel in 357 Sig for a Glock 22?

5 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

There is another thread discussing this.  It's been proven.  The caliber is falling.

@Old School, can I get a barrel in 357 Sig for a Glock 22?

Yes you can bubba...https://kkmprecision.com/product/22-match-357sig-2/

$165

• Like 1

Where did it go? Should I go down and look in my safe to make sure it's still there.

These threads kind of remind me of the Mark Twain quote, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

Great caliber - PITA to reload, but a terrific SD round.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Well, my long winded non-expert answer :)

...Seems there are a few standards that have stayed reasonably popular through the years (9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, 44 special, 44 mag, 45 acp and 45 colt) then there are a few that pop up every now and then with a good following like 38 super, 454, 500, 50ae, etc. I tend to think of them as tier 2 calibers or maybe niche calibers that fill a specific need but maybe not as generically used as the standards due to suitability or cost (45 colt may be in this list too, I waffle on it :) )

40 S&W may be along those lines at some point, maybe with a bigger following. It seems to be losing a lot of backing in law inforcement in favor of newer 9mm options but it also seems to be getting a lot of love in the sport shooting genre which is giving it a new life. 

10mm is being given a strong second look by the pistol hunting crowd as well so that is also experiencing a bit of a resurgence and 380 acp seems to be getting a strong second look by personal defense oriented folks so that seems to be on the rise too. 32 S&W is coming back a little mainly on the heels of the 327 mag round as a lower recoiling training round but acceptance of the 327 mag round seems tepid so time will tell on that one. I suspect if these stick around for a while they will all fall into the niche ammo category and not get to the popularity of the standards. 

With all that other stuff going on with various calibers, I don’t see any reason why the 357 sig couldn’t come back at some point. It seems a very accurate round. The biggest negative I can think of is that as a necked cartridge it has a slightly more complex reloading process (Checking the neck to shoulder length and trimming if needed). I have never used or reloaded them though so I may be off or there may be something else limiting to them that I am not thinking of. 

Just some thoughts...

-Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

Where did it go? Should I go down and look in my safe to make sure it's still there.

These threads kind of remind me of the Mark Twain quote, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

Great caliber - PITA to reload, but a terrific SD round.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Agreed, but name 5 guns chambered in it right now.  I bet a few start with a G and end with a lock.

25 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I'm going to assume the magazines, extractor and firing pin don't need tinkering in a Glock 22.

357 Sig is based on a 40S&W / 10mm case so the 40S&W mags should be good...Breach face is good as well as the extractor.  Recoil spring?  I would look up the part #   They're cheap anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Agreed, but name 5 guns chambered in it right now.  I bet a few start with a G and end with a lock.

Aside from the Blocks - Sig 239, 229,226, 1911, S&W M&P Steyr M357 A1,I'm sure there are many I've missed.

@JimB1 - It's not just the measuring and stretching, but the fact that since they aren't straight-walled pistol cases, carbide dies cannot be used, meaning the cases must be lubed - PITA, even with One Shot.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Old School said:

357 Sig is based on a 40S&W / 10mm case so the 40S&W mags should be good...Breach face is good as well as the extractor.  Recoil spring?  I would look up the part #   They're cheap anyway.

Yeah, good point.  The recoil spring.  Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Aside from the Blocks - Sig 239, 229,226, 1911, S&W M&P Steyr M357 A1,I'm sure there are many I've missed.

Yes, I forgot to mention the company that created the cartridge.  No, you basically mentioned them all.   Thanks for making my point.

11 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Yeah, good point.  The recoil spring.  Thanks. 

Yes, I forgot to mention the company that created the cartridge.  No, you basically mentioned them all.   Thanks for making my point.

Raymond - G22 and G31 use the same recoil spring.  Though, it might be advisable to start out with a new one.

Glock Recoil Spring Assembly

$7.99

• Like 1

I've always wanted a 6" barreled 1911 in 357Sig.  Just seemed so right for being so wrong.  

Feed issues are non-existent from all that I read.  Bottle necked cartridges do well in 1911's apparently.  Seems to me to be a great "pig gun" for those that are allowed that opportunity.  Some day, I'll make one mine.  Right now I have other callings.

For once, a cartridge lives up to its name and hype.  They labeled it as a semi auto 357 magnum.  A 124 grain projectile out of a Glock 31 moving at 1430 FPS is basically a 357 magnum out of a 4 inch barrel.  

54 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

No love for the 45 GAP in here?

Now here's a dumbass cartridge if I ever seen one. Glock's answer to the 45ACP, because case head blowouts were such a problem in the 45ACP (only in Glock pistols due the unsupported barrels, nimrods).  Trying to get the same HP out of a smaller case by strengthening the brass case head and jackin' up the powder.  Ah, didn't work.  Only four state LEOs ever adopted it, (NY, SC, FL, GA) and GA and SC have dropped it since.  Even pistol makers have dropped the GAP offering, only Glock still hanging in there.  357 Sig is nice but not sure of the need. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bully said:

I've always wanted a 6" barreled 1911 in 357Sig.  Just seemed so right for being so wrong.  

Feed issues are non-existent from all that I read.  Bottle necked cartridges do well in 1911's apparently.  Seems to me to be a great "pig gun" for those that are allowed that opportunity.  Some day, I'll make one mine.  Right now I have other callings.

I have a 400 CorBon 1911 and it feeds flawlessly with my home rolled goodies.  It’s 45 caliber brass necked down to 40 cal.  It’s a blast so I don’t see why .357 sig wont work.  I have a Polymer80 glock lower that I finished, in FL, and a G35 slide which will take a .357 sig barrel. Maybe a fun piece. 

Pistol calibers to me should be available, cheap and straight walled for ease of loading.

40 unfortunately pollutes my range so when i get home I have a bunch of it.

357 sig I rarely ever see Im sure everyone shooting it polices it but i've only picked up 2-3 in the last few years.

17 minutes ago, George Yetka said:

40 unfortunately pollutes my range so when i get home I have a bunch of it.

I giggled on that one.

2 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

No love for the 45 GAP in here?

A caliber for a problem that didn't exist.

3 hours ago, T Bill said:

Now here's a dumbass cartridge if I ever seen one. Glock's answer to the 45ACP, because case head blowouts were such a problem in the 45ACP (only in Glock pistols due the unsupported barrels, nimrods).  Trying to get the same HP out of a smaller case by strengthening the brass case head and jackin' up the powder.  Ah, didn't work.  Only four state LEOs ever adopted it, (NY, SC, FL, GA) and GA and SC have dropped it since.  Even pistol makers have dropped the GAP offering, only Glock still hanging in there.  357 Sig is nice but not sure of the need. 

Not that I'm supporting it, but the .45 GAP was developed so that the front to back dimension of the grip was shorter, thus accommodating smaller hands. And you left out a state, our neighbor PA, although I think they have since dropped it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

On 11/30/2017 at 5:54 PM, Pizza Bob said:

Not that I'm supporting it, but the .45 GAP was developed so that the front to back dimension of the grip was shorter, thus accommodating smaller hands. And you left out a state, our neighbor PA, although I think they have since dropped it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Glocks goal was a 45 caliber handgun in a 9mm sized grip. 

Adios,
Pizza Bob

Yep... P227. They went with the right .45 round.

.45 GAP is because Glock did the 21 wrong. You have the 21, 36, SF guns, then the GAP. They obviously wanted a less thick grip, and with as much 21 magazines have become a standard, they can’t go thinner than the SF. If they knew what they know now, back when they were designing the 21... you’d probably have a capacity similar to the PX4 (similar stack as the GAP guns, slightly longer grip).

.357 SIG is a niche cartridge... just like 10mm. With the move back to 9mm, I feel .40 got pushed into the same boat. Good thing is you have a metric buttload of .40 trade ins, and ammo sitting on the shelves.

I’m not a fan of .357 Magnum, so .357 SIG never appealed to me. Considered conversion barrels for my M&Ps, but don’t want to mix up a magazine loaded with .357 SIG and my .40 SUB-2000 (uses M&P magazines). I would still consider a .357 and .40 conversion barrel for my 1006, if that project on S&W Forum ever gets going again... but unlikely. And that is more because I’d just like the extra barrels that likely won’t be available ever again.

2 hours ago, Screwball said:

Good thing is you have a metric buttload of .40 trade ins, and ammo sitting on the shelves.

Yup, and a conversion barrel is like 2 guns in 1.

• Like 1