Barms

Bitcoin...

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

I think it's time to switch investments from Bitcoin to Bulletcoin.... The ROI seems to be way better, and it even has a utility use, too!  And, you can hold it in your hands  :crazy:

You aren't wrong.

If you purchased thousands and thousands of the most common caliber rounds 2-3 years ago you could easily sell it now for 3-4x what you paid.  And it hardly ever goes bad!

Ammo even has intrinsic value.  You can sell spent brass casings or trade them.  Or make more ammo if you have all the tools.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

You aren't wrong.

If you purchased thousands and thousands of the most common caliber rounds 2-3 years ago you could easily sell it now for 3-4x what you paid.  And it hardly ever goes bad!

Ammo even has intrinsic value.  You can sell spent brass casings or trade them.  Or make more ammo if you have all the tools.

It's pretty amazing. I showed wifey a case of 223 a little earlier, told her if I sold in now, it would be a 300% ROI.

Showed her a case of 9mm, close to a 400% ROI...

Crazy stuff... she would roll her eyes when the UPS guy would deliver it. Now she says, why didn't you buy MORE back then??  :xD:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

It's pretty amazing. I showed wifey a case of 223 a little earlier, told her if I sold in now, it would be a 300% ROI.

Showed her a case of 9mm, close to a 400% ROI...

Crazy stuff... she would roll her eyes when the UPS guy would deliver it. Now she says, why didn't you buy MORE back then??  :xD:

Same here....

I don't own and won't own Bitcoin or any other crypto.

Anyone here that does should read this article: The Bit Short    (Think 'The Big Short')

I am not very literate in this area, but I'd be interested to hear those of you who know a lot more about it than I do comment on it.

The gist is that the entire crypto market is being propped up to a large extent by an outfit called Tether Ltd. And crypto purchases are being made with 'Tethers' (as opposed to money), and then on certain dubious exchanges leveraged up to 100x their value. Resulting of course in an explosion of price.

There's a ton a charts and analysis here to review. The anonymous author said he cashed out completely on January 9, up 600% on his trades, and will not be reentering the market. He was very nervous until the wire transfer was confirmed at his bank.

• Informative 1

know all about it and still not phased.  ETH is a different type of currency, we've got CME options coming in Feb, Pensions are now accepting this as a reality here to stay, DeFi is here to stay and only expanding, there is a litany of reasons why crypto could go much much higher but none more important than freedom.  With crypto, you could avoid all taxes, have anonymity in purchases and bypass traditional controls.  If the Fed could have shut it down years ago they would have.

Now I think BTC is crazy high but the ETH network is vastly different and has real, practical application

what ETH network is today is akin to the internet of the mid 90s.  It has that much upside.  I recall similar articles on the dot coms etc and while there is always bubbling, the application remains

23 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I don't own and won't own Bitcoin or any other crypto.

Anyone here that does should read this article: The Bit Short    (Think 'The Big Short')

I am not very literate in this area, but I'd be interested to hear those of you who know a lot more about it than I do comment on it.

The gist is that the entire crypto market is being propped up to a large extent by an outfit called Tether Ltd. And crypto purchases are being made with 'Tethers' (as opposed to money), and then on certain dubious exchanges leveraged up to 1000x their value. Resulting of course in an explosion of price.

There's a ton a charts and analysis here to review. The anonymous author said he cashed out completely on January 9, up 600% on his trades, and will not be reentering the market. He was very nervous until the wire transfer was confirmed at his bank.

That's a great article. 

But it's also, sadly, optimistic. 

We have had crypto exchanges get "robbed". I put that in quotes because the only proof that it wasn't the owners of the exchange walking off with the contents of the exchange is them saying it wasn't them. At least when you get down to it. 

This article ignores the possibility that the crooks at tether aren't playing chicken with a bunch of crooks at the offshore exchanges trying to drive bitcoin into their exchange in high enough volume that getting "robbed" becomes incredibly profitable. And they can either just walk off with the coin by emptying the exchange's wallet into their wallet. Or they can walk off with it by just cashing out all the bitcoin into dollars via kraken and leave their exchange full of nothing but tethers and a promise.  

Interesting reading.  So to this layman, the strategy should be:

- Wait for the next Bitcoin plunge once Tether can no longer keep all the plates spinning

- Buy ETH (Ethereum) shortly after.

1 hour ago, RUTGERS95 said:

...have anonymity in purchases...

Uh, I thought it was trivial to trace the movement of crypto from wallet to wallet.  Isn't that the blockchain part of cryptocurrencies?

5 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

So to this layman, the strategy should be:

- Wait for the next Bitcoin plunge

That might be sooner than later.... this doesn't sound good... Houston, we have a problem...

Bitcoin’s skid rings alarm bells as money manager says retreat to $20,000 ahead

Values for the world’s most prominent cryptocurrency were off by over 10% around Thursday’s lows at about $31,000, with the crypto having shed 12% over the week, according to FactSet data.

Indeed, Guggenheim Partners Chief Investment Officer Scott Minerd, a recent proselyte from traditional Wall Street instruments to cryptos, told CNBC on Wednesday that he believed bitcoins may stage a retreat back to $20,000, after reaching a record peak at $41,962.36 on Jan. 7, according to CoinDesk.

“For the time being, we have probably put in a top for bitcoin for the next year or so,” Minerd told the business network.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoins-skid-rings-alarm-bells-as-money-manager-says-retreat-to-20-000-ahead-11611260058?mod=home-page

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

That might be sooner than later.... this doesn't sound good... Houston, we have a problem...

Bitcoin’s skid rings alarm bells as money manager says retreat to $20,000 ahead

Values for the world’s most prominent cryptocurrency were off by over 10% around Thursday’s lows at about $31,000, with the crypto having shed 12% over the week, according to FactSet data.

Indeed, Guggenheim Partners Chief Investment Officer Scott Minerd, a recent proselyte from traditional Wall Street instruments to cryptos, told CNBC on Wednesday that he believed bitcoins may stage a retreat back to $20,000, after reaching a record peak at $41,962.36 on Jan. 7, according to CoinDesk.

“For the time being, we have probably put in a top for bitcoin for the next year or so,” Minerd told the business network.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoins-skid-rings-alarm-bells-as-money-manager-says-retreat-to-20-000-ahead-11611260058?mod=home-page

will be interesting to see if he is right or wrong.  I think wrong as the new CME inclusion of ETH will be big and more money flows to Alt Coins but fully expect a divergance from BTC by alt coins given it's price and the view that many alt coins haven't hit their highs

I watched Cryptopia last night on Amazon Prime. A lot of interesting stuff. Those who are crypto currency participants may be especially interested. The documentary had access to some very secure and clandestine locations.

They discussed crypto vs. money too, noting that there is not enough money on the planet to pay off all the accumulated debt backing it. Due to interest charges of course.

• Thanks 1

BTC @38k

Crash or correction?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoin-prices-tumble-50-from-peak-and-mark-cuban-calls-the-crypto-crash-the-great-unwind-11621790964

I have thought about buying some BTC, or other crypto, but I'm lazy and also suffer from FOFOMO (fear of FOMO).  If I feel a FOMO, it's already too late.

I wonder if Elon got out?

On 2/6/2018 at 11:20 PM, Barms said:

It’s ironic that a board full of people who embrace freedom are against bitcoin.  The  purpose of bitcoin was to establish a global currency that could not be oppressed or stolen or controlled by a government or dictator or corrupt banking system.  It’s the ultimate freedom.  The white paper is called “a decentralized peer to peer currency system”. All you guys who want silver and gold because you don’t trust the banks or the government or are fearful of inflation?  Satoshi is one of you!   He just invented s way for that to happen digital, that’s all.   But if you don’t want a “regulator” of your currency you need trust in something else to make it work.   That trust is the Bitcoin operating system 

didn't the fbi seize some of the bitcoin that the pipeline people paid in ransom?

crap...sorry for quoting such an old post

4 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Its funny how torn people are regarding it. People are thinking its either a flash sale or its going to zero. 

If you buy it, buy it KNOWING it could go to zero.

If you can sleep easily at night with that knowledge, buy some.  

Or buy a little now and if it goes up, great!  

Buy some just to give the middle finger to China.  :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Here you go, all you Bitcoin billionaires...  a way to save all those capital gains taxes!

....."As the name suggests, Plan B Passport offers crypto-rich clients a path to a second passport in their pick of seven, mostly tropical, tax-haven states, all of which are exempt from capital gains taxes on crypto holdings.

Every year, Plan B Passport helps hundreds of people from countries like the U.S., the UK, Australia, and Canada obtain a second passport in one of seven countries: Saint Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Vanuatu, Grenada, Saint Lucia, and Portugal. The company works in tandem with each government’s residence- or citizenship-by-investment programs.

“It’s an attractive way to draw foreign investment and especially prominent in countries with few natural resources,” said Ernest Marais, an attorney with international tax law firm Andersen.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/11/plan-b-passport-tax-break-bitcoin-profits.html

On 6/22/2021 at 6:43 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Its funny how torn people are regarding it. People are thinking its either a flash sale or its going to zero. 

Back up to almost $46k.  Up about $13k since you posted.  

Could go to zip tomorrow.  Only put in what you don't mind losing.

• Like 1