Moose11872

S&W M460 XVR

Just picked it up last night. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these. It has an 8.38" barrel and comes with two compensators one for jacketed bullets (ports on top) and one for lead bullets (longer with no ports on top). Im going to the range tonight and plan on firing both lead and jacketed. My question is: to avoid changing compensators mid session can I just fire everything through the lead compensator (no ports on top) or do I have to switch them out?

Sure. The reason for the different designation is the possibility of lead build-up in the ports of the compensator when used with lead bullets. The other barrel extension isn't a compensator, just a muzzle cap. I believe that you should be able to use plated or coated bullets with the comp - maybe even cast lead if they are hard cast. The problem would most likely arise with swaged, pure lead bullets, as would be found in .45 Colt cowboy loads.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

22 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Sure. The reason for the different designation is the possibility of lead build-up in the ports of the compensator when used with lead bullets. The other barrel extension isn't a compensator, just a muzzle cap. I believe that you should be able to use plated or coated bullets with the comp - maybe even cast lead if they are hard cast. The problem would most likely arise with swaged, pure lead bullets, as would be found in .45 Colt cowboy loads.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks PB! They are both ported though the only difference is the shorter one has ports on the top and sides and the longer one only has ports on the side. Doesnt the side ports make it a compensator? I have heard rumors of an un ported end cap though. Just attached a pic from the manual.

20171201_110455.jpg

13 minutes ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

You can fire everything through the comp for lead rounds (no ports) you'll just have a little less effective recoil/muzzle flip control

Thanks! I thought so....im gonna give it a try tonight. I have the Underwood 360 grain lead flat nose cartridges.

36 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

I have the 7.5” performance cente version and just love it.  

That has the un fluted cylinder? They are awesome guns! I'm considering getting the 14" barrel with bi pod some time next year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Junior said:

Can’t you pre lube (or something) the compensator to help with lead buildup?

Im not sure. Wouldnt that make more build up? I put 40 mixed (lead and jacketed) rounds thru it last night with the comp for lead bullets. Im going to clean it tonight and see how things went.

6 hours ago, Moose11872 said:

That has the un fluted cylinder? They are awesome guns! I'm considering getting the 14" barrel with bi pod some time next year.

Yes exactly. 

11 hours ago, Moose11872 said:

I have the 14” Performance Center one with the bipod. Put a scope on it.  It’s pretty cool but honestly I haven’t fired it in about 3 years. I bought it for that great bore hunt that never happened. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

I have the 14” Performance Center one with the bipod. Put a scope on it.  It’s pretty cool but honestly I haven’t fired it in about 3 years. I bought it for that great bore hunt that never happened. 

Yeah me too! Im not a hunter but I always wanted to go hog hunting. The wife wont allow it so I went for the 8.38 so I can have fun at the range and maybe still bag a hog. That is definitely a cool gun!