Sign in to follow this  
tomgwarrior

Cabelas is charging Sales tax

16 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Looks like they have a store in Hamburg, so they have to charge NJ sales tax. Internet or not.

I wonder how long that's been there.

Pretty sure that's the Hamburg, PA store you're referring to...? Their website doesn't list a NJ store. Not sure why they would charge tax to the OP...? Perhaps a mistake. But, hmmm... didn't they merge with another chain? Maybe it has something to do with that - if they have "affiliated/sister" stores in NJ? Just a guess.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Looks like they have a store in Hamburg, so they have to charge NJ sales tax. Internet or not.

I wonder how long that's been there.

That’s Hambug Pa.  Bass pro is in AC and that merger went through 

• Like 1

LOL, yes it's PA. When I looked on their store map I mistook the big green dot in NJ as the nearest store location. It wasn't. It was my house location with a route to Hamburg PA. I didn't bother to read the address.

More coffee please.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, tomgwarrior said:

I just spoke to someone from Cabelas customer service and she stated since we have a Pro Bass shop in NJ they are now charging us sales tax. This started last month

I would ask for copy of nj sales tax certificate.. it is a cabela's store not bass pro!!

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, tattooo said:
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, T Bill said:
They have a warehouse in Florence NJ now. Moved out of Brooklyn.

Dang it

Check your shipping label see where it was shipped from.

9 hours ago, tony357 said:

How do you know that they may be pocketing the 6.85% If they are collecting sales tax they have to display their sales tax certificate.

.....and, as a good, law-abiding NJ resident, you are supposed to report your out-of-state purchases on your NJ 1040 and pay the 6.85% sales tax directly to NJ.  

4 hours ago, W2MC said:

.....and, as a good, law-abiding NJ resident, you are supposed to report your out-of-state purchases on your NJ 1040 and pay the 6.85% sales tax directly to NJ.  

went to there website put scope 129.99 in cart went to check out sales tax was 9.96  still charging the 7%  sales tax should have been 8.90  Just sayi'n...

sales tax.jpg

Math says they are charging the proper sales tax, just charging tax on the shipping.

From NJ Div Taxation:

As of October 1, 2006, delivery charges (shipping, handling, postage, etc.) are subject to tax if the goods purchased are subject to tax.

And tax is applicable because BPS and Cabelas merged.  Just electing to keep Cabelas name for now.  DBA so to speak.