Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

Honolulu PD: "Surrender Your Firearms"

This story is self-explanatory. If this stands a legal challenge, there could be real problems in the homeland. Pot and firearms don't mix legally at the Federal level.

I presume the confiscation could be extended to any users of marijuana, not just medically approved ones.

• Like 1

No way. This fake news. That letter is photoshop'd. Never happens in the land of the free, where community and enforcement works together as brothers & sisters upholding the Constitution to achieve liberty and justice for all.

Note: For sarcasm challenged, see 1A thread on Policing and Constitution.

• Like 1

No way. This fake news. That letter is photoshop'd. Never happens in the land of the free, where community and enforcement works together as brothers & sisters upholding the Constitution to achieve liberty and justice for all.

Note: For sarcasm challenged, see 1A thread on Policing and Constitution.

That's the problem they don't work together

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, capt14k said:

That's the problem they don't work together

sorry, there is nothing to "work together".  Supposedly there is a law and good guys are enforcing the law with the blessing of politicians in the office.  This is another good example of People waiting, hoping that the law would not be enforced by good guys. Nobody got arrested for.....<plugin-your-favorite-nj-firearm-law-here>, yeah sure, not yet.

I am shocked that others are shocked and this has become news.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

This story is self-explanatory. If this stands a legal challenge, there could be real problems in the homeland. Pot and firearms don't mix legally at the Federal level.

I presume the confiscation could be extended to any users of marijuana, not just medically approved ones.

Our friends at 9th Circuit already set the president. Love the way those guys reasoned.

------------------------------

Many state laws allow patients to medicate with cannabis, but the federal prohibition on cannabis consumption crosses that legality when it comes to firearms. The supremacy of federal law on this point was upheld last year by the 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals.

“It may be argued that medical marijuana users are less likely to commit violent crimes, as they often suffer from debilitating illnesses, for which marijuana may be an effective palliative,” the federal ruling stated. “But those hypotheses are not sufficient to overcome Congress’s reasonable conclusion that the use of such drugs raises the risk of irrational or unpredictable behavior with which gun use should not be associated.”

• Like 1

sorry, there is nothing to "work together".  Supposedly there is a law and good guys are enforcing the law with the blessing of politicians in the office.  This is another good example of People waiting, hoping that the law would not be enforced by good guys. Nobody got arrested for....., yeah sure, not yet.

I am shocked that others are shocked and this has become news.

Your way of thinking would be fine if we were a true democracy. We are a Representative Republic which allows for those with wealth to be in control and other manipulations of the system. When they push too far and the courts don't provide the checks and balances needed our forefathers installed a failsafe that being the 2nd Amendment and revolution.

If the path someone chooses is to be a jackboot thug that is their choice. However if Revolution were to ever happen I personally would rather be on the side of American Patriots. The British Red Coats were just enforcing laws too.

• Like 1

I think the correct course for this to take is the way it has always worked when state law is in conflict with federal law.

There are three options as I see them;

• the feds take the states that legalized pot to federal court. If the feds win, pot is illegal everywhere and the gun thing is no longer an issue. If the states win, the feds have to allow it so therefore it is no longer illegal and the gun thing is no longer an issue.
  • The states take the feds to courts, see option 1, results are the same.
  • The people take the states to court for suspending a right for an illegal action that is obstesibly legal in that locale. This is where it is messy. It would need to go to state court first but might end up in option 1 or 2 depending on the results and drag on for years. This is the option these blue states really want to happen.

JMHO

-Jim

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimB1 said:

I think the correct course for this to take is the way it has always worked when state law is in conflict with federal law.

There are three options as I see them;

• the feds take the states that legalized pot to federal court. If the feds win, pot is illegal everywhere and the gun thing is no longer an issue. If the states win, the feds have to allow it so therefore it is no longer illegal and the gun thing is no longer an issue.
  • The states take the feds to courts, see option 1, results are the same.
  • The people take the states to court for suspending a right for an illegal action that is obstesibly legal in that locale. This is where it is messy. It would need to go to state court first but might end up in option 1 or 2 depending on the results and drag on for years. This is the option these blue states really want to happen.

JMHO

-Jim

Correct way would be for people to kick Mayor and his/her henchmen out of office and elect someone different. And then sue the Mayor and henchmen for being d*cks.

Option #1 and #2 are not happening any blue state that "intentionally" legalizes marijuana and turns around to enforce federal firearm laws. I hoping some place like NH legalizes and goes after Feds in court. But then again, the 9 circuit already ruled with 'ya we understand but we dont give a F about people's problems and their rights".

24 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

Correct way would be for people to kick Mayor and his/her henchmen out of office and elect someone different. And then sue the Mayor and henchmen for being d*cks.

Option #1 and #2 are not happening any blue state that "intentionally" legalizes marijuana and turns around to enforce federal firearm laws. I hoping some place like NH legalizes and goes after Feds in court. But then again, the 9 circuit already ruled with 'ya we understand but we dont give a F about people's problems and their rights".

Well, if Trump can ever get his justice dept in order, option 1 could very well happen...

• Like 1

If this works in Honolulu expect California to follow suit followed by the rest of the Communist States including NJ. It is actually a genius backdoor confiscation plan on their part. Make a Federally Schedule 1 drug legal with a registered ID card, require firearms purchases to be registered, then turn around and use the fact that since Marijuana is Federally illegal you lied on your firearms forms and now if you are convicted you are a disqualified felon. Not only do you loses your firearms you lose your future rights to own firearms and very little investigative leg work is needed. Even without marijuana registration cards they can use credit card receipts. Any firearms owner in NJ who has been hoping for legalized state sold pot may be getting a case of be careful what you wish for.

For the record I am for the legalization of marijuana and other drugs because the war on drugs is a gigantic failure and waste of time. Personally I do not like marijuana and never did.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, capt14k said:

If this works in Honolulu expect California to follow suit followed by the rest of the Communist States including NJ. It is actually a genius backdoor confiscation plan on their part. Make a Federally Schedule 1 drug legal with a registered ID card, require firearms purchases to be registered, then turn around and use the fact that since Marijuana is Federally illegal you lied on your firearms forms and now if you are convicted you are a disqualified felon. Not only do you loses your firearms you lose your future rights to own firearms and very little investigative leg work is needed. Even without marijuana registration cards they can use credit card receipts. Any firearms owner in NJ who has been hoping for legalized state sold pot may be getting a case of be careful what you wish for.

For the record I am for the legalization of marijuana and other drugs because the war on drugs is a gigantic failure and waste of time. Personally I do not like marijuana and never did.

OK, you've convinced me. I'll stick with whiskey, it's just safer :)

• Like 3

OK, you've convinced me. I'll stick with whiskey, it's just safer [emoji4]

Alcohol is one of the worst drugs. However we saw what banning it did. You'd have thought we would have learned our lesson then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

9th is by far the most overturned court. However SCOTUS isn't risking 2A case til Kennedy retires or Ginsburg kicks the bucket.

Probably the REAL reason here....

50 minutes ago, Bt Doctur said:

Aside from guns, also turn in your state CDL license, and Federal licenses you have, pilots license, etc.

That's true, but we knew from the outset that pot would disqualify a person from having a CDL, pilot license, etc.   I don't think many people saw the gun disqualification thing coming.  I certainly didn't.