45Doll

2019 Corvette ZR1

I was just forwarded this link from a PA firearm friend of mine who also digs cars. First I heard about this.

212 MPH? Where will I do that? Hahahaha! My driveway! The one with the hairpin turn!

For the time being I'll settle for my C5.

Jake (As in the avatar)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

I was just forwarded this link from a PA firearm friend of mine who also digs cars. First I heard about this.

212 MPH? Where will I do that? Hahahaha! My driveway! The one with the hairpin turn!

For the time being I'll settle for my C5.

Jake (As in the avatar)

it doesn't matter if you will ever do that speed. what does matter, is that you would then have a car that COULD......  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

If I had that much $$ to spend on a car, it would be an Aston Martin or a Ferarri. Not a Chevy. 

Displaced Texan: 

I agree...

The photos of the 2019 Corvette ZR1 preproduction model in the link provided by the OP are interesting, showing a more aggressive design approach.  I see an influence from German and Italian sport coupes in the front end air takes.  This new Corvette has 4 additional radiators for a total of 13 heat exchangers.  That is why the front-end air intakes have been increased in size for added cooling air flow.  I agree that the high wing on the rear deck that is part of the ZTK Performance Package, while probably very effective, detracts from the overall aesthetics of the car and looks way over the top, with a ricer/after-market appearance to it.  This rendition is a continuation of the design direction and a logical next step from the most recent model. 

But IMHO, while it may be "attractive", it does not have a graceful style and beauty that is immediately noticeable, that makes a car really stand out from others.  To be fair, that is something that can be said about many current supercars from different manufacturers.  But at an anticipated initial MSRP of $120,000 for the coupe and $124,000 for the convertible, it remains the best bang for the buck for any truly high-performance car.

AVB-AMG

FYI, the Corvettes I like the most from a purely styling aesthetic are the relatively early models from the late 1950’s to early 1960’s.  My favorite is the 1960 Corvette model year with the quad headlights and swooping rounded rear tail lights that create IMHO, a very attractive and stylish composition, before they began the more knife-like design approach in the subsequent years.  In case you are interested, the approx. current value for a 1960 Corvette that is in a freshly restored, number 1 Concours condition, is around $103,000.

AVB-AMG

1960 Corvette (Front Qtr. View).jpg

1960 Corvette (Rear Qtr. View).jpg

Now if you want to stay in the current model year, for my money I would much prefer a new 2019 front-engine, rear-wheel drive Ferrari 812 Superfast over the 2019 Corvette ZR1.  This Ferrari’s 6.5 liter V-12 generates 789 hp with a top speed of 221 mph vs. the Corvette’s 6.2 liter supercharged V-8 that generates 755 hp and a top speed of 212 mph.  Of course, as I said earlier, the expected $120,000 MSRP for the Corvette is an excellent deal, compared to the $315,000 MSRP for the Ferrari.  But in comparing the exterior design of the Ferrari to the Corvette, I think the Ferrari has won hands down…

AVB-AMG

2019 Ferrari 812 Superfast (Front Qtr. View).jpg

2019 Ferrari 812 Superfast (Front & Rear Qtr. Views).jpg

2019 Ferrari 812 Superfast (Side View).jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

those newer astons....i think the vantage? are friggin gorgeous! but....they're also huge. but the prepped versions do decently in the imsa races......

They are deceptively large, but fast! Gorgeous cars!

On 12/13/2017 at 6:49 PM, Displaced Texan said:

1963 Split Window ‘vette for me. 

While I find the ‘19 Vette attractive, and it’s performance impressive, for the $$$,  give me an Aston Martin, or a Ferarri. Not a GM product. 

The AM is 60k more and is not near the performance of a z06 let alone a zr1. It it’s a taste thing I get it there’s no arguing that.  I test drove the AM a couple years ago and didn’t buy, it was nice and drove nicely in city driving and of course at speed. My issue was sometime they aren’t that indistinguishable from their jaguar cousins and they have bad reliability especially the electrical systems.  The Ferrari is 4x the cash and probably on fairly equal ground with a zr1. If you don’t like them cause they’re Chevy that’s cool but your gonna have to dig really, really deep into your pockets to get something that performs better.

Id consider a vette but I’m a bit of a p-car person.   

On 12/14/2017 at 10:22 AM, myhatinthering said:

20170527_113242.thumb.jpg.450bafddbe4e9755d2bbfca7e1fd3a2c.jpg20171021_133648.thumb.jpg.2fd5ab878849499329ac10dd6c7b2cbc.jpg69 is where my heart is

FB_IMG_1506433673505.jpg

I’m with you but prefer the 70 when they updated the side vents from the shark gills.  Other than that it’s the same.  

32 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

The AM is 60k more and is not near the performance of a z06 let alone a zr1. It it’s a taste thing I get it there’s no arguing that.  I test drove the AM a couple years ago and didn’t buy, it was nice and drove nicely in city driving and of course at speed. My issue was sometime they aren’t that indistinguishable from their jaguar cousins and they have bad reliability especially the electrical systems.  The Ferrari is 4x the cash and probably on fairly equal ground with a zr1. If you don’t like them cause they’re Chevy that’s cool but your gonna have to dig really, really deep into your pockets to get something that performs better.

I’m with you but prefer the 70 when they updated the side vents from the shark gills.  Other than that it’s the same.  

It’s purely a theoretical exercise for me, as I don’t have the scratch for a supercar of any flavor, much less a use for one. It would be difficult to drive something like that out at the ranch...a pickup suits my needs best. 

Besides, it’s not ALL about performance. Everyone knows what a Corvette looks like. Ferarri is also pretty well recognized, even the more obscure models are still easy for most to ascertain by most people. Aston Martins are much less familiar, and although Jaguar has somewhat copied the AM body style, it’s still not immediately recognizable by most. The AM is pure sex on wheels, and leaves you cranking your neck around thinking’ ‘DAMN, what WAS that??!!!’. 

The AM may not be the best dancer, but from my eyes, she’s the hottest girl at the dance!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

It’s purely a theoretical exercise for me, as I don’t have the scratch for a supercar of any flavor, much less a use for one. It would be difficult to drive something like that out at the ranch...a pickup suits my needs best. 

Besides, it’s not ALL about performance. Everyone knows what a Corvette looks like. Ferarri is also pretty well recognized, even the more obscure models are still easy for most to ascertain by most people. Aston Martins are much less familiar, and although Jaguar has somewhat copied the AM body style, it’s still not immediately recognizable by most. The AM is pure sex on wheels, and leaves you cranking your neck around thinking’ ‘DAMN, what WAS that??!!!’. 

The AM may not be the best dancer, but from my eyes, she’s the hottest girl at the dance!

All about personal preference.  When buying a stupid car, and these are stupid cars, albeit cool, there really is no right or wrong.  

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

1) i can't afford any of them. probably never will be able to.

secondly.....it's got nothing to do with the vette being a chevy. if my only intention were to beat the vette, i'd buy a shelby(or a gt for way way less) invest a few bucks, and the only thing the vette would be seeing would be tail lights.

for me, concerning my comment about the ferrari.....it's just slick. it's lightyears better looking than the vette. nthat's not saying the vetts not gorgeous, 'cause it is. just not as pretty as the italian girl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

1) i can't afford any of them. probably never will be able to.

secondly.....it's got nothing to do with the vette being a chevy. if my only intention were to beat the vette, i'd buy a shelby(or a gt for way way less) invest a few bucks, and the only thing the vette would be seeing would be tail lights.

for me, concerning my comment about the ferrari.....it's just slick. it's lightyears better looking than the vette. nthat's not saying the vetts not gorgeous, 'cause it is. just not as pretty as the italian girl.

DT made a comment about not spending that size cash on a GM.  For four times the dough it better be better looking. :)  I’d agree it’s tough to beat the looks of the Ferrari, but hasn’t that almost always been True?  The 488 looks fantastic.  It’s all about personal taste in the end.  From your avatar you’re obviously a ford guy.  

On 12/16/2017 at 11:10 AM, Rob0115 said:

DT made a comment about not spending that size cash on a GM.  For four times the dough it better be better looking. :)  I’d agree it’s tough to beat the looks of the Ferrari, but hasn’t that almost always been True?  The 488 looks fantastic.  It’s all about personal taste in the end.  From your avatar you’re obviously a ford guy.  

i am. but......i've owned driven chevys, dodges, fords, even a mercury. until i got my expedition, the best 4x4 i ever had was my 1970 c-10. smallblock 400, 4 speed, lifted a bunch with 36" tires.....i loved that truck. never once got me stuck. ever. sadly it rotted away around the drivetrain. i sold the engine to a buddy of mine, he dropped it in his 68 camaro, and ran 12's easy with it.