Dan0713

Greetings from Voorhees!

Hi everyone,

New here, just wanted to say “hi”...I’ve scoured many forums over the years for various topics, especially this one as of late, but this is literally my first forum post ever.  I apologize in advance if I post something in the wrong spot or ask a question that’s been answered 100x.

I have limited handgun experience, have fired 10-12 different handguns, no more than 50-100 rounds each (my father has acquired many handguns since his move to NC, and I’ve also rented a few).  I am working on my FID/handgun permit application now.....that’s a story for another day.  The most “fun” shooting I’ve had was with .45’s, but will likely end up getting a 9mm for now for lower cost of ammo - I want to really work on basics and cost of ammo is a huge factor in that for me (I know .22 may be optimal, but I wouldn’t be in the market for another gun for quite some time)

Being new, I likely won’t be able to provide much insight for other members of the forum, but for now I will be happy to at least share my experience in getting the FID with my township to help out anyone in my area that is trying to do the same.

Welcome aboard Dan0713. Enjoy your stay!

Did you have to go for an interview as part of the process in Voorhees? I scoured the forum and it seems they are pretty quick which is good for the PRNJ. What kind of questions do they ask you?

I’m just in the very beginning stages (this is actually my 2nd time around, I lost patience the first time and wasn’t as committed).  

So, they require you speak to the firearms clerk before you can submit your application, to get a form for fingerprinting that has to come from the clerk directly (the form is available on NJSP site, but I’m assuming it’s common practice in NJ that you need to get it specifically from your township).

Anyway, I called the clerk, and her VM said “I will return your call in several days”.  After a week I emailed for status, and received the response that my call will be returned in the order it was received.

I received a call the next day.  The clerk was very nice, helpful, and willing to answer all questions - I was very happy after speaking with her - and she offered to take the application with a receipt from the fingerprinting the same day that I got it done (with advance notice of my appointment date). I was initially concerned after the delay at the beginning, but after speaking to her, I think it should be a very smooth process.  As I get further into it, I will definitely keep you updated!

edit: I was frustrated initially because of horror stories from various areas in our state, but want to add that the clerk offered to have the fingerprinting docs available same-day for pickup at the police station if I was in a rush.  I chose to have her mail it.

49 minutes ago, Dan0713 said:

Hi everyone,

The most “fun” shooting I’ve had was with .45’s, but will likely end up getting a 9mm for now for lower cost of ammo - I want to really work on basics and cost of ammo is a huge factor in that for me (I know .22 may be optimal, but I wouldn’t be in the market for another gun for quite some time)

Welcome Dan!  Consider a 9MM that has a 22LR conversion available for minimizing ammo expense and to help with mastering sight picture and control.  This is an easy way to have the ability to shoot two calibers. Allows you to make custom upgrades you would like.  Example, Glock 19 with a Advantage Arms Upper. Good Luck,

9 minutes ago, T Bill said:

Welcome Dan!  Consider a 9MM that has a 22LR conversion available for minimizing ammo expense and to help with mastering sight picture and control.  This is an easy way to have the ability to shoot two calibers. Allows you to make custom upgrades you would like.  Example, Glock 19 with a Advantage Arms Upper. Good Luck,

I looked a lot at the EAA witness .45 with .22lr conversion combo...VERY affordable.  In my optimal price range, but read bad things about the .22 not doing well with inexpensive ammo.  Any thoughts?  Something like this would be perfect especially taking my wife out for the first time, to go with a 22LR should be perfect.  But if there are malfunctions with lower cost ammo, would it be worthwhile having to spend roughly the same as 9mm on good 22 ammo?  There’s the rub.  

13 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

welcome neighbor!

work in cherry hill, live in lindenwold......

Do you go to a range in NJ or PA?  

I moved to Camden County from Ocean County in January.  The range my friend recommended requires an FID to rent (never encountered this before), and another local one is so expensive for non-members - and members IMO - that I wouldn’t go back. 

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Welcome!

Thank you!

Not all 22 ammo works with all 22 guns, that's a given in this industry.  It's a case of trial and error to find a combo that works. Otherwise, some tinkering is required. Be that as it may, I have no reference to EAA so that could be learning curve for you.  

• Like 1

As far as cheap .22 ammo causing malfunctions, most .22 ammo will go bang 99.99 percent of the time. Some ammo is dirtier than others. Any CCI ammo is good. The CCI Mini Mags are around for $7 per box of 100 on sale and work well in all my .22s.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dan0713 said:

I moved to Camden County from Ocean County in January.  The range my friend recommended requires an FID to rent (never encountered this before), and another local one is so expensive for non-members - and members IMO - that I wouldn’t go back. 

For cheap indoor RAF in Bristol. It’s a shithole. But it’s cheap. We will probably spend a further drive time to hit shooters In LEH. Or TTC up in Flemington.

hopefully someday Legacy opens up in Cinnaminson...

I check weekly for updates on this range opening in Cinnaminson.  I went to Bob’s in Glassboro one day, require FID just to rent.  Another here locally is so expensive I could sell my first born son....and u can’t use your own ammo unless you are a member (this is okay for rentals, but can’t use ur own ammo with ur own gun as a non-member?!?!)

• Like 1

Somebody has been to Hagues in West Deptford!  Hagues is great to purchase anything Sig Sauer since they have the lowest pricing I have found. As a range, they suck with their crazy rules and prices. Bob's is not an option for me because he is a Fudd and vehemently anti CCW for the citizens of New Jersey. 

I am a member at USANA in Elmer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Somebody has been to Hagues in West Deptford!  Hagues is great to purchase anything Sig Sauer since they have the lowest pricing I have found. As a range, they suck with their crazy rules and prices. Bob's is not an option for me because he is a Fudd and vehemently anti CCW for the citizens of New Jersey. 

Bobs was quickly out, and like you said Hague’s is ridiculous on pricing for us newbies.

i moved from Ocean County to Camden County just under a year ago.  I used to go to Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood.  Acceptable staff and acceptable prices there.  Seems “acceptable” is the best you can find in our fine state.

1 hour ago, JohnnyB said:

I will never ever Bob’s

1 hour ago, Dan0713 said:

I check weekly for updates on this range opening in Cinnaminson.  I went to Bob’s in Glassboro one day, require FID just to rent.  Another here locally is so expensive I could sell my first born son....and u can’t use your own ammo unless you are a member (this is okay for rentals, but can’t use ur own ammo with ur own gun as a non-member?!?!)

I fear it’s a long ways away. If it were open my wife would be there 3 x a week.... lol

5 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

welcome neighbor!

work in cherry hill, live in lindenwold......

I work on the road all of Camden and Gloucester Counties....would be easy to get to the range on weekdays if there is a good one here.  Any experience locally, or with Delaware Valley Sports Center in NE Philly?  After moving to South NJ and encountering many issues, I contacted them and they were nice enough, but haven’t been out there yet.  It’s no more than 10 minutes further drive from me than Bob’s

On 12/2/2017 at 3:09 PM, Dan0713 said:

Thank you!

when i shoot indoors, i shoot at bobs in glassboro. outdoors, i shoot at iron horse. that one's a small private range, which i enjoy a lot. bobs is good, 'cause his range is well lit, well ventilated, and the people there are always nice. they are also super nice to my mother, which matters a LOT...'cause she went from being afraid of guns to enjoying herself. and she likes the guys there too.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:16 PM, JohnnyB said:

i've been guested in to hagues. i like the people there. all helpful, friendly and nice. their range sucks though. shitty ventilation, shitty lighting.

• Like 1