Ray Ray

Remington 870 DM (magazine feed shotgun)

On 12/4/2017 at 10:34 PM, ChrisJM981 said:

I'd save my money and use it to get the hell out of NJ. 

That is what I did. Been 8 years. Just went back to NJ two weeks ago, unarmed but it was just EWR airport and then to NYC where I could not even carry one of my knives. I keep a Shockwave loaded with 8 Aguilar buckshot rounds next to my desk in my home office. I must say that I went crazy when I moved to Florida. I bought about 70 firearms and all sorts of automatic and illegal NJ knives. Even got a sword cane which I can use legally. 

I must say that I do not miss NJ at all. I have more land here than I had in NJ where I was paying $14K in property taxes. Now I pay $1,8000 in prop. Taxes. My wife and I carry guns and I can carry a sword as long as it is concealed. Life is good here despite the once every 10 year hurricanes that hit central Florida. I am wearing shorts and a tee shirt still.

I can understand that guns do not and should not be the deciding factor in major life decisions but we have no kids and I can work from anyplace in the world with an internet connection so we moved and despite a 20% salary cut, no city/state taxes along with the lower cost of goods, I actually have more disposable income. Plus my home cost half of what it did in NJ so I have a tiny mortgage that will be paid off before the end of next year.  Then I live mortgage free, can carry a gun anywhere not prohibited by Federal and State law, and continue my hobby of gun collecting and recreational shooting without having a FID or applying for permits every time I see a handgun I like.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 0:01 AM, samtechlan said:

If the DM shotgun (and the Mossberg version to come) prove to be big hits it might be possible to buy a traditional pump action for a song.

No, NOTHING will take traditional pump actions crown as kintg of the gauges.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

No, NOTHING will make traditional pump actions crown as king of the gauges.

Agreed.  First pump was Winchester in 1897.  First semiautomatic Browning 5 years later.  So we're talking over a 100 years for each.  Still more traditional pumps out there than anything else.

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Agreed.  First pump was Winchester in 1897.  First semiautomatic Browning 5 years later.  So we're talking over a 100 years for each.  Still more traditional pumps out there than anything else.

Understood but this new variant is still a pump, which I think is part of the appeal--it's not that radical a departure.  What I meant to say is that the DM versions might overtake the magazine tube versions at some point.  I don't see it happening but it's possible.

Understood but this new variant is still a pump, which I think is part of the appeal--it's not that radical a departure.  What I meant to say is that the DM versions might overtake the magazine tube versions at some point.  I don't see it happening but it's possible.

Anything is possible... but it isn’t a new idea, and has been done multiple times with no real success.

For it to be successful, I see two things needing to be met. First, reliability. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos on them, and they seem to work. But what happens when you start having people run them hard? Do those tabs get out of wack easily? Any issue with storing loaded magazines? And then also add in the fact that Remington has been spotty with shotgun designs that have been around for decades... how well will this be rolled out?

Second, they need to market it correctly. I also include designing magazines in the correct capacity... as neither one introduced thus far is hunting legal (why make a three rounder, which cannot be used since the total capacity is four?... three in magazine, one in chamber). While the competition and defensive buyers are important, it is a drop in the bucket compared to hunters. That is a big market... especially when you’ll see clay sports sticking with current designs (break opens are big in those, but you still see a lot of 870s on the lines at trap ranges; can’t single load one of these easily). Why wasn’t a hunting legal magazine offered from Jump Street?

I like Remington, even with current management. Have four shotguns (well, one is a “firearm”), and not have had a major issue in any of them. Only problem I’ve had was the newer follower jamming when cold... so I swap that out. From hearing talks of bankruptcy, I wish them the best... just I don’t see this being their way back into safes. Fix your reputation, then put out new stuff. It’s sad because if you look at most custom tactical shotguns (Nighthawk, Wilson, Salient, Robar), they have mainly been built off the 870 platform. It was one thing when people recommended the Police models because of stupid things to get over the civilian shotguns (magazine dimples)... then it was because they were better made. When it got to the point where there are currently at, someone at Remington should have looked at how consumers view the company and rethink their choices.

14 hours ago, Screwball said:

Any issue with storing loaded magazines? 

Probably THE biggest issue that isn't being discussed.   It's one thing for magazines to wear out but plastic shells held under spring tension will end up deforming over time.

• Like 4

Probably THE biggest issue that isn't being discussed.   It's one thing for magazines to wear out but plastic shells held under spring tension will end up deforming over time.

That, and what will go on with those exposed metal tabs...

People are likely going to be carrying them in pouches, so how will they interact there. Ovaling out the shells is a big concern, but looking at the magazine... it leaves a lot to be desired. Wouldn’t want it to be as finicky in function as it looks. Magazines tend to be the deciding factor in reliability... judging the action is sound.

I asked a question or two on YouTube, by a channel that is pushing it very well. Received a very cocky response, which made me side that he is being paid for the review (no issue with that, but don’t come off as independent; unsubscribed from him due to it). But direct info I got from him... magazines do load fully loaded, on a closed bolt.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

I asked a question or two on YouTube, by a channel that is pushing it very well. Received a very cocky response, which made me side that he is being paid for the review (no issue with that, but don’t come off as independent; unsubscribed from him due to it). But direct info I got from him... magazines do load fully loaded, on a closed bolt.

Which channel sir?

On 12/16/2017 at 1:53 PM, Ray Ray said:

I have heard this from several sources.  Anyone have any personal experience with deforming of shells?   Over what period of time?  Did it cause a  failure to feed?  

1 hour ago, Blueskybob said:

I have heard this from several sources.  Anyone have any personal experience with deforming of shells?   Over what period of time?  Did it cause a  failure to feed?  

I remember paper shells being deformed in a tube magazine over a couple of weeks.  Yeah, I'm an old guy.

I've also seen plastic shells deformed in tube magazines.  Not sure how long they were loaded.

I didn't try to load them in either case.  That's how bad they looked.

• Like 1

Thanks Griz !

Yep remember papers shells.  I am also older than dirt!  :-)   I was asking specifically about deforming in a magazine not tube.  But you observations are noted.  I have a couple of Adaptive Tactical  mags so I guess I should set up a semi controlled experiment.

My guess  is that low vs high brass,   size of shot, and loading one less may have a bearing on the outcome.

Bob

Which channel sir?

Sorry, thought I answered this...

Same as the video you listed... TheFireArmGuy. Forget the other channel I had a question on regarding the same design, but was along the lines of questioning what the magazine tube looks like compared to a standard shotgun (never was notified that it was replied to). The YouTube app on the iPhone really isn’t that fun to navigate for comments.
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 10:05 PM, samtechlan said:

I don't see it happening.  A mag fed pump shotgun would be very unwieldy to hunt with.  It would snag on things that a tube fed gun couldn't.

21 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I don't see it happening.  A mag fed pump shotgun would be very unwieldy to hunt with.  It would snag on things that a tube fed gun couldn't.

Hunting?  No

Home defense?  Maybe

Competition shooting?  Yes

Life and Liberty gun?  'Murica

• Like 1