Sign in to follow this  
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Prepping 101 - Interesting read

9 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

One of the more practical intro to prepping reads I’ve seen. It’s a long read but good food for thought.

http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/prep/

I read thru most of the document.  I am extremely impressed with the quality of it’s content and how comprehensive it is.  His discussion of security and firearms shows a good understanding of the topic.

An excellent  resource on the topic along with the book “Family Guide to Emergency Preparedness” which I also highly recommend.

Thanks for sharing. Took couple of days to go through but great practical advice.  Prepping without looking like prepper. 

Investing in market:

"3.2.1 Dealing with normal inflation".  I wish I can find a mom&pop shop, a paper mill, a staple electronics, home & office supplies or a basic metals company(ies) to invest in without expecting too much. However, I am yet to find one that wouldn't go out of business before any S&P disappears all together.  The entire industries are changing rapidly and small companies are going belly up under severe competition and threat of larger, more divested companies. 

If anyone knows good, stable businesses to invest in, I am all ears. But for now, S&P and/or select diversified funds have to do it. 

Gold:

I was reading bunch of articles related to inflation adjusted prices of various commodities (and stock market in general). For lot of different reasons, Gold turns out to be a terrible long investment (adjusted to inflation) in the last 100 years. People may flock to it in times of stress, but long term, it lost against general market.  Dow atleast performed inline (but slightly below) inflation. I guess it makes sense in certain way .

Health & Skills (both defensive and job):

I love how author elaborated on this. I think this is often overlooked in typical prepper material. Its critical that everyone get on to continued education, hobbies and new skills. 

1 hour ago, jackandjill said:

Thanks for sharing. Took couple of days to go through but great practical advice.  Prepping without looking like prepper. 

Health & Skills (both defensive and job):

I love how author elaborated on this. I think this is often overlooked in typical prepper material. Its critical that everyone get on to continued education, hobbies and new skills. 

remember doomsday preppers? i can't tell ya how many people they had that just by looking at them you could tell they'd be in the first wave of dead people........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

remember doomsday preppers? i can't tell ya how many people they had that just by looking at them you could tell they'd be in the first wave of dead people........

Never underestimate people based upon looks.  At least they were doing something to prepare...