AlDente67

FIOS stuff

Longtime FIOS subsciber....yeah yeah...

Anyway, I see the ads for 79 triple play.  So I call and ask for it.  Nope, new subs only... the best I can offer you is the same 75mb package for $40 extra.  What?  Huh?   Gimme the retention dept...

Oh, mr Dente, we give you our 1gb/sec upgrade, and it runs 25 less per month.  Bang.

I was one of the first to have Fios in my old house, used Verizon from 2005/6 until this year paid ~$250/mo (wife likes her shows).  Moved into a new house, no deals and had to pay installation (2 weeks after calling) even though there was already Fios equipment installed.  Going to wait out the contract then "cut the cable".

Customer service has gone downhill.

Tell them you will switch to, cable, tin can and wire, become a Luddite, whatever....  you will have to listen to a low level cs rep's schpiel blah blah blah, they will offer to shave $5 $10 but nothing close to a competitors introductory offer (or a fair price). When they are done, tell them to schedule an appointment to have the equipment removed, bam... you will be invited to speak with someone from the magical customer retention department.  they are the only ones that can offer you a good deal.  You will still have to be on your game, they are not going to offer $99 internet/cable/phone without a bit of sweating it out.  Make THEM sweat it out.

it's a pain in the ass game of chicken, but you will always win.  I have saved thousands over the years doing this.