MichaelDiggs

Magnifier with Red Dot?

It is me again!

Anyone here use a magnifier with their red dot? Is the whole idea to let you see further out or just more in your face with the red dot? How do you hit a 12 x 24 target at 100 yards? Will a magnifier let you take that task? I know for sure a nice scope would do it, but I wanted the red dot for those shorter outings and I would be shooting < 100 yards most of the time. So I picked out a 3x magnifier that isn't very expensive but has a good name behind it. They also make a 6x model. Comes with a mount where you can just push the magnifier to the side when you don't want to use it or QD right off the rail. Is it something to eventually look at? 

Thanks.

A magnifier behind a red-dot magnifies the reticule (dot), as well as the image going through the sight. The idea is that you have a 1x image with just the red-dot, which is preferred with shooting closer in... then a magnified 3x (or 6x) when you are shooting further away.

Your question about whether to see the image better or bring it closer to the eye... it is actually both. However, the size of the target you mention is roughly the size of a torso. At 100 yards, judging you have somewhat decent vision, you should be able to make that shot without the need of a magnifier. The magnifier should make it an easier shot, but will also allow you to more clearly see the target. The same can be said for a 1.5-6x scope, but some prefer to have 1x instead of 1.5x for short range. Having a red-dot/magnifier combo, as well as a 1.5-6x scope... I actually prefer the red-dot/magnifier. The scope still gets used in a similar role because of offset backup iron sights.

In regards to hitting the target, rezero your red-dot with the magnifier. I say that because you may see that at 50 yards (zero I use), you look dead on. But when you add the magnifier, you may be slightly off. Not that your zero shifted, but your zero wasn’t as clear as it was using just your eye (little off at 50 shifts more the further you move out). While I have the one Aimpoint magnifier, all of my Aimpoints have room for me to mount it behind... which I use when zeroing. Difference will not make a you hitting off, but it puts the POI even closer to the POA (excluding drop and wind).

If you can't hit a 12x24 target at a hundred without a magnifier, something is really wrong with your eyes. 

I'm -5.25 in my right eye and I have been using my 3MOA dot to hit 8" targets at 200. It's far from ideal, which is why I saved up my pennies for a good 1-8x scope. Technique and knowing how to aim matter more than being able to see the target really well so long as you can actually discern the target and it's edges. 

6" targets at 100 off hand are pretty easy with the above mentioned dot after some practice. 

22 hours ago, raz-0 said:

If you can't hit a 12x24 target at a hundred without a magnifier, something is really wrong with your eyes. 

I'm -5.25 in my right eye and I have been using my 3MOA dot to hit 8" targets at 200. It's far from ideal, which is why I saved up my pennies for a good 1-8x scope. Technique and knowing how to aim matter more than being able to see the target really well so long as you can actually discern the target and it's edges. 

6" targets at 100 off hand are pretty easy with the above mentioned dot after some practice. 

Come on now. Nothing is wrong with my eyes. Right now I'm shooting standing up, no monopod/bipod or AR mounts holding the rifle so I can pinpoint the red dot on the target with ease. Yes, I can do that. But as I said in a previous post I'm learning and practicing using the rifle with just free standing and shooting. Even some of the best have a little shake here and there. I guess all the guys I see at the outside range shooting their rifles at 50 or 100 yards using monopods/bipods, scopes, dots, magnifiers with their rifles sitting on a nice mount on the bench while they are sitting down and rifle has no movement whatsoever are all pros when holding the rifle themselves and freestanding shooting. My dad was in the Navy and saw some war time. He recommended to me to learn how to shoot and be %100 comfortable while standing up and just holding the rifle and shooting. Once I get that phase over with and feel comfortable enough I'll try to do it the easy way and sit my butt down on a bench and take 5 minutes to line up my shot. Do I know if this is the best way, of course not...but it is the best way for me. This is why I zeroed and learned how to use my BUS first, before anything. I'm slowly progressing at my own pace that's all. Eyes checked, no nearsightedness at all. This is a 12x24 target with me using UN-zeroed BUS around 80 yards I would say. Needed to empty a couple mags, my time was getting up. I take everyone's recommendations and listen, listen, listen, since I know some of you have been shooting these type rifles for many years. That experience is valuable to a new kid on the block and I really appreciate some of the feedback I've gotten here already. And my Dad, who is of course old school says using a red dot is cheating. I know, the technology makes things just a little easier and easier.

UN-zeroed irons sites 80 yards standing up free shooting

18 hours ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

I would skip the magnifier and invest that money into training, you should be able to hit a 12x24" target out to about 400-500 yards unmagnified unless your eyes are real bad.  

I'm just thinking this in my head. 5 entire football fields. That is pretty far for an unmagnified shot, at least when I think about it sitting in my chair here. Haven't seen a field big enough yet to get the chance. Maybe a nice big cornfield during the winter I'll try.

You'll note I said 6" targets at 100 aren't that hard offhand with a 3moa dot with practice. But it'll take a bit of practice. Offhand is standing with no support aids.

Offhand accuracy is practical, so it's good to practice. 

12x24 at 100 is gigantic. You don't need a magnifier for that. With a dot, it's something I would expect to have a new shooter hitting regularly if I took them to the range to shoot for an hour and they had nothing wrong with their eyes or something.

Adding a magnifier will make some things at 200 easier, and will probably add performance out to 300. Past that you are doing hold over by pure eyeball and no reticle  references. Also no reference for cant, which will matter a lot at that point.

For example the 12x24 aT 500. Its probably easier with irons than a dot. You can see it, but not awesome. If your irons have a 600 yard setting, you can kind of aim at it at least. With a dot, you are trying to estimate 7moa holdover with no reference other than a 2-4 mow dot in the wrong place.

Nit trying to bust your balls, just provide some perspective about realistic goals and where different gear might actually be needed. 

A good 2 moa dot with .223 is pretty flexible and with decent vision anything over 4moa from 25-300 yards should be doable with practice and good technique. (not offhand for 4moa, but braced or prone). 

2 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

Come on now. Nothing is wrong with my eyes. Right now I'm shooting standing up, no monopod/bipod or AR mounts holding the rifle so I can pinpoint the red dot on the target with ease. Yes, I can do that. But as I said in a previous post I'm learning and practicing using the rifle with just free standing and shooting. Even some of the best have a little shake here and there. I guess all the guys I see at the outside range shooting their rifles at 50 or 100 yards using monopods/bipods, scopes, dots, magnifiers with their rifles sitting on a nice mount on the bench while they are sitting down and rifle has no movement whatsoever are all pros when holding the rifle themselves and freestanding shooting. My dad was in the Navy and saw some war time. He recommended to me to learn how to shoot and be %100 comfortable while standing up and just holding the rifle and shooting. Once I get that phase over with and feel comfortable enough I'll try to do it the easy way and sit my butt down on a bench and take 5 minutes to line up my shot. Do I know if this is the best way, of course not...but it is the best way for me. This is why I zeroed and learned how to use my BUS first, before anything. I'm slowly progressing at my own pace that's all. Eyes checked, no nearsightedness at all. This is a 12x24 target with me using UN-zeroed BUS around 80 yards I would say. Needed to empty a couple mags, my time was getting up. I take everyone's recommendations and listen, listen, listen, since I know some of you have been shooting these type rifles for many years. That experience is valuable to a new kid on the block and I really appreciate some of the feedback I've gotten here already. And my Dad, who is of course old school says using a red dot is cheating. I know, the technology makes things just a little easier and easier.

UN-zeroed irons sites 80 yards standing up free shooting

One thing you have to realize is is microscopic changes at muzzle.. are exponentially exaggerated downrange.. so if you sway even an inch at the muzzle.. while supporting the gun.. by the time that round travels 100 yards.. its not going to be where you thought it would be.. improvements in stabilizing the gun.. and clean trigger work is what is going to change the group tightness.. 

so you have two things.. 

you have literal accuracy.. is the round impacting where the reticle is.. that is a function os sighting the sights or optic in while working with a stabilized firearm from a bench.. 

then you have group size.. how spread out are the rounds downrange.. that is a function of the operator... and limitations of the weapon system.. 

Shooting offhand is fine.. BUT DIAL IN YOUR SIGHTING SYSTEM.. so you can eliminate the accuracy variable.. then work on the group size.. 

I use a magnifier sometimes but its normally further out... on an Eotech... and it works good to get more precise round placement.. it does exactly as you would think it does.. it brings your image 3x closer.. so the target is larger.. 

but you need to figure out what problem you are trying to solve first.. 

30 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

You'll note I said 6" targets at 100 aren't that hard offhand with a 3moa dot with practice. But it'll take a bit of practice. Offhand is standing with no support aids.

Offhand accuracy is practical, so it's good to practice. 

12x24 at 100 is gigantic. You don't need a magnifier for that. With a dot, it's something I would expect to have a new shooter hitting regularly if I took them to the range to shoot for an hour and they had nothing wrong with their eyes or something.

Adding a magnifier will make some things at 200 easier, and will probably add performance out to 300. Past that you are doing hold over by pure eyeball and no reticle  references. Also no reference for cant, which will matter a lot at that point.

For example the 12x24 aT 500. Its probably easier with irons than a dot. You can see it, but not awesome. If your irons have a 600 yard setting, you can kind of aim at it at least. With a dot, you are trying to estimate 7moa holdover with no reference other than a 2-4 mow dot in the wrong place.

Nit trying to bust your balls, just provide some perspective about realistic goals and where different gear might actually be needed. 

A good 2 moa dot with .223 is pretty flexible and with decent vision anything over 4moa from 25-300 yards should be doable with practice and good technique. (not offhand for 4moa, but braced or prone). 

I understand and appreciate the feedback highly. And when I say 12x24 target I meant those splatter targets where you actually have 5 targets on one sheet. I'm only after one of those targets, not the whole size sheet. I practice as much as I can. Now that my buttstock is a little longer the rifle feels more comfortable. Haven't shot it yet with the new stock yet. Maybe I'll go to the range today, maybe there will be a chance no one thought of that because of the bad weather. Thanks.