Zeke

How do you ck the furnace igniter?

It was igniter.

ohm’d open. Then I dropped it, it broke. Sooo no matter had to get new one.

This pisses me off, had to get a buddy call in to supply house in N.J. for something I can order from amazon... seriously?

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Igniters are cheap and should be replaced every other year or so. I replace mine annually. 

Now you tell me? You’re worse then @GRIZ and @High Exposure

• Like 2

This pisses me off, had to get a buddy call in to supply house in N.J. for something I can order from amazon... seriously?

Yep. Because NJ doesn’t think you can do it without blowing your neighborhood up. It’s incredible. Our lawmakers think we are all as dumb as they are.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

It was igniter.

ohm’d open. Then I dropped it, it broke. Sooo no matter had to get new one.

Now you tell me? You’re worse then @GRIZ and @High Exposure

Had mine go out a couple of years ago.  I have the service contract and they had a guy here in 3 hours.

Got to do that stuff when you're 110 years old.

Looks just like the igniter I had on a gas furnace for years.  I had a contract with PSEG and they replaced these things so many times a year I lost count.  The head of their service department got to the point that he just gave me a bunch of them as he knew I could replace them myself.  He said if I ever got low just put the new one in and call for repair and take it out just before service got there, that way I would not be without heat as they never stocked them on the truck and it always required two visits to replace.

• Like 1

Glad you were able to fix it.

Many times the flame sensor will build up residue on them and cause flame not to ignite.  Simple fix.  Pull it out and clean with steel wool.  Same thing with gas hot water heaters

Easily save $200 in a service call.  YouTube is amazing.  Easily paid for at least one of my firearms with the money YouTube has saved me.  Probably closer to two of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gleninjersey said:

Glad you were able to fix it.

Many times the flame sensor will build up residue on them and cause flame not to ignite.  Simple fix.  Pull it out and clean with steel wool.  Same thing with gas hot water heaters

Easily save $200 in a service call.  YouTube is amazing.  Easily paid for at least one of my firearms with the money YouTube has saved me.  Probably closer to two of them.

This was... not the case. Ohm meter is your friend 

Everyone with a furnace should have spare ignitor.  A spare flame sensor. And know how to blw into the pressure switch.   Yes NJ is fuxkdd up my exhaust fan rattled and I called TWO places and they told me “I’m not allowed to sell that to you “.   Wtf!!!

Regarding service contracts.  At one point I resented not having one.   But after hearing friend get his face ripped off two times by the company I just think service contract means “I have money you can rip me off.”   He was told $1400 to replace a control board!!!”

now,  I just moved into a house that has a modern instant on gas blower thing on the wall and I feel very vulnerable i don’t know shit about how to trouble shoot these things.  I would love to buy dinner/lunch for anybody who want to give me a primer on what to look out for on these high tech wall mounted furnaces.

6 hours ago, Zeke said:

Gee, thanks uncle.

That's all I know about igniters in furnaces.

1 hour ago, Barms said:

Everyone with a furnace should have spare ignitor.  A spare flame sensor. And know how to blw into the pressure switch.   Yes NJ is fuxkdd up my exhaust fan rattled and I called TWO places and they told me “I’m not allowed to sell that to you “.   Wtf!!!

Regarding service contracts.  At one point I resented not having one.   But after hearing friend get his face ripped off two times by the company I just think service contract means “I have money you can rip me off.”   He was told $1400 to replace a control board!!!”

now,  I just moved into a house that has a modern instant on gas blower thing on the wall and I feel very vulnerable i don’t know shit about how to trouble shoot these things.  I would love to buy dinner/lunch for anybody who want to give me a primer on what to look out for on these high tech wall mounted furnaces.

I only pay a couple of hundred a year for a service contract from NJNG covering my furnace, water heater, and central air.  This covers all small parts except the entire unit itself.  When I needed a new water heater they came out the next day and they took about 45 minutes to do the job.  It costs me about $100 more than what my plumber friend would have charged.

Don't carry service contracts on appliances as I figured if one of them broke every year it would be cheaper just to buy a new one after the manufacturer's warranty.

Let me rephrase it’s wring if me to say any HvAC company that offers service contracts is bad.  I’m just saying in this situation this guy would have been better off just finding a local guy.   But it’s like he felt obligated to take whatever number the guy said to fix it because he’s already contracted with him. 

• Like 1