Dan0713

FID app question 26

Hey everyone,

I know there is an immense # of posts on this topic, but mostly back and forth about whether to answer “yes”, what is a “mental health” condition, and so on, so I don’t want to resurrect those debates :-)

I just got my fingerprints done and waiting for the firearms clerk to get back to me to schedule bringing in the application. I answered yes to #26 and put all of the doctor’s info there.

I have mild social anxiety, and take the lowest available dose of Paxil on a daily basis.  I see the shrink every 3 months for the obligatory “Hey, how have you been?  Do you have suicidal thoughts?  Okay, see you in 3 months” visit.

not looking to start a debate on how to answer the question or anything...just looking to see if anyone local has any personal experience to share as far as if you were approved or denied, if in a similar situation?

In your case you had to answer yes, I will assume they will talk to your doctor. I have asked a dealer one time a long time ago if anyone has ever answered yes and he said more often than I would think, so that does not mean you will be denied for answering yes. 

Thanks Tony and J&J....

i actually have my quarterly doctor appointment on Thursday so plan to ask for a letter if he is willing (can’t see any reason why he would have an issue with this).  Happy to hear your response that it seems many people have answered yes without issue presumably.  Thanks guys.

8 minutes ago, Dan0713 said:

Funny you say that....I just spoke with my doctor on Thursday, and he said that he wouldn’t have an issue with it, but the company is anti-gun rights and he is barred from any involvement due to their policies.  

So "company policy" overrules the practice of medicine?  I would dump them like a hot potato.......and let them know exactly why; long and loud!

1 hour ago, Dan0713 said:

Funny you say that....I just spoke with my doctor on Thursday, and he said that he wouldn’t have an issue with it, but the company is anti-gun rights and he is barred from any involvement due to their policies.  

I'm not a Dr or lawyer but I would think that HIPPA would come in to play to somehow protect the both of you as to what happens with your personal info between you and your dr.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, siderman said:

I'm not a Dr or lawyer but I would think that HIPPA would come in to play to somehow protect the both of you as to what happens with your personal info between you and your dr.

The vague wording of the records release they make you sign makes me think they could use it to get just about anything 

In the back of the ANJRPC newsletter there is an advertisement for a psychologist who specializes in "Psychological Firearm Evaluations for Initial Applicants & Reinstatements"

If you want to get ahead of this issue, probably best to call him ASAP and find out if he is willing to speak with your existing doctor, review your file, examine you, and give you a clean bill of health so your doctor doesn't have to go against company policy.  It seems like your doctor's hands are tied, he cannot help you in any formal or official matter, which you will probably need if you check yes.

If you are intending to fight a denial, probably also good idea to line up an attorney.  There are advertisements for those also in the newsletter.

8 hours ago, Dan0713 said:

This is a big cop out. Company policy can't dictate individual provider patient interactions at this level. Most likely he is an anit-gun jerkoff that just doesn't have the stones to come out and say it.

What comapny is this? I'll call them and ask them about their policies.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, siderman said:

You sign a mental health check form which provides them with legal status. At least that is how I see it.. And I am ok with that we all know mental health plays is a big issue with firearms. Just wish they dealt with it better than they have and not just with firearms.

I don’t know if I’m jaded because my dad lives in NC now where it’s so much different, but this is seriously bullshit.  

Im a patient guy, especially because I don’t want guns in the hands of crazy people, but you can’t make it impossible to submit an application!!!

i tried the process before I moved, and quit.  It seems like that’s the way they want it to be that way here!  They make it so hard that you either spend all your energy or give up.

Your situation OP is why I am against any firearms restrictions due to mental health, unless there is Due Process and one's rights are removed by the courts. I would rather risk a couple crazies having firearms than see one law abiding American have their Second Amendment Rights restricted. When we put security before liberty we deserve neither.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the PRNJ! To the point.....You submit your application then the CLEO contacts you if he needs more information. You should get a letter from the ANJRPC gun friendly psychologist clearing you psychologically for a P2P and submit that letter with your application for approval.