MichaelDiggs

Strike Industries fixed stock doesn't fit properly

My AR is an all MIL-SPEC. I have a basic buffer tube using a castle nut which has a receiver hole for a swivel for a strap. I installed the Magpul MOE MIL-SPEC fixed carbine stock. Installed fine and they even made a special adapter that didn't cover the swivel hole so I can mount a swivel there! Awesome. The way it holds on to the buffer tube is horrible. It's just one small bolt that installs across the bottom of the buffer tube and even with loctite the damn thing kept coming lose and start to pull off, since I could see the space and castle nut more and more. I also had a Strike Industries Viper fixed stock. Had a better install system but the damn cap that you put on first COVERS the damn swivel hole for my sling adapter. Why the heck would they do that? Also, what's even more odd is that cap doesn't even fit properly over the castle nut and swivel hole. Just don't get it. I watched the dude on youtube.com install it and of course it worked perfect. Here is that video. I'll also attach a picture or two showing you what it looks like on my buffer tube. Something is off somewhere. Then I eventually find out all those slots and holes on the stock aren't for mounting anything but snap hooks which I hate. I wonder why they just couldn't include a damn swivel QD hole or something. Anyway I'l eventually make a call to Strike to find out why their adapter isn't fitting my buffer tube and covering my swivel attachment hole. That is exactly where I wanted to mount my swivel for my strap but can't do it with this stock. I'll just need to use this one temporarily, return the badly made MOE fixed stock that doesn't stay on and keep on looking. Pictures attached as well.

Cap not fitting over castle nut and swivel hole

Second pic of cap not fitting over

I would venture to say your castle nut and/or your receiver extension is non standard in some dimension.  Never have I observed a knurled castle nut. Receiver tube commercial or mil-spec version? 

19 minutes ago, T Bill said:

I would venture to say your castle nut and/or your receiver extension is non standard in some dimension.  Never have I observed a knurled castle nut. Receiver tube commercial or mil-spec version? 

According to RebelArms the entire rifle is MIL-SPEC. I can see some company names on some of the parts, like the hand grip is Bravo Company, the trigger I believe is a Timney? Another company called Bootleg, they pretty much out sourced the parts, put their name on it and built the rifle. Checking out their website I see the same setup on most of their rifles. I actually measured the buffer tube and it was right on for MIL-SPEC. 1.15" diameter. From their site:

"Impact extruded from 7075, the PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube is optimized for strength and rigidity while creating a solid platform for the new lightened design. Anodized in Mil spec type 3 to exceed standards in hardness and corrosion protection. The patent pending Ratchet-Lock Design eliminates the need for staking the castle nut and gives a rock solid lock up while being able to remove it easily if needed in the future. The anti-tilt lip enhances function and reliability, giving longer life to piston driven weapons by allowing the carrier to start in the buffer tube rather than transitioning into the tube on extraction. "

Looks like this guy has the same castle nut and plate I have.

Your receiver extension (the correct name for the "buffer tube") and castle nut are not mil-spec. Soon as it says "enhanced" you are out of spec.

Spec is just that - to the military specifications and nothing further. If it ratchets, has an anti-tilt lip, and has a "lightened design" it does not meet the specification. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Your receiver extension (the correct name for the "buffer tube") and castle nut are not mil-spec. Soon as it says "enhanced" you are out of spec.

Spec is just that - to the military specifications and nothing further. If it ratchets, has an anti-tilt lip, and has a "lightened design" it does not meet the specification. 

Ahhhhh ok got it. Just as they removed the forward assist system, that's not MIL-SPEC either. I see what happens. While trying to make things better on a very old weapon model they want to keep it as MIL-SPEC as much but have made decisions to make changes here and there that they think will benefit. I see. So maybe down the road I can grab an extension, castle nut and plate, but I still wouldn't know what fixed stock to use right now anyway. I'll keep the one on there now and survive without putting a sling on it. Not like I can walk down the street with it on my back.  Thanks for the clarification.

I did remove the long spring and replaced all that with a silent captured spring. I really wanted to get that spring clanging noise out of my ears, even with ear protection on. With this new spring in the tube it is very smooth and quiet. Feels really good to shoot. I've seen different variations of this type of addon, but I just happen to choose this one and it works great.

Captured Spring

On 12/9/2017 at 10:26 AM, High Exposure said:

It's a tube to mil-spec dimensions rather then commercial dimensions. This matters for fitting a collapsible stock. fancy machining or not, I believe it is still the right dimension. That castle nut is not and is where the stock is binding. 

Different castle nut or different stock and no more problem. 

Or unleash the power of dremel(tm). 

I understand the differences between mil-spec and commercial receiver extensions.

The PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube may meet the mil-spec dimensions. It’s a  I’ve piece of kit and I would not hesitate to put one on one of my rifles. 

But this:

4qhwf04.jpg

is pretty far from Mil-Spec.

If you are buying parts that are outside the  spec for the TDP - either exceeding it or inferior to it - you should not be surprised when things do not fit right.

The only benefit I see having this tube and castle nut is not having to stake it. Since I do like to change things up once in a while having a staked castle nut would be more work. The castle nut on there now has like a ratchet type when screwing it on and don't even need a wrench to make it tight. I don't mind at all having the PWS but now I know what I'm against. All I really need to do is bring out the dremel and modify the stock end plate cap. Its purpose is just a cap, no weight or strength used on it. This will allow me to get my QD hole back. The Strike Industries stock is nice, but the so called rubber end is rock solid. Basically like a hard piece of plastic. Not sure why it isn't more like rubber. Although rubber sometimes "sticks" to clothing when trying to slide it. Everything stays put, just need to return that Primary Arms mag mount. Don't like how it is designed. 

I can come pretty close on a guess since I just finished my first 500 round purchase and almost done with another 500 round purchase. I would guess about 900 rounds. I don't know if that's a lot from the time I've had it but I go to the range every day I have off. Why do you ask, just curious, that's all.

8 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

I can come pretty close on a guess since I just finished my first 500 round purchase and almost done with another 500 round purchase. I would guess about 900 rounds. I don't know if that's a lot from the time I've had it but I go to the range every day I have off. Why do you ask, just curious, that's all.

Seems like you are spending a lot of money on hardware when you haven’t yet developed any software.

IMHO you should be spending more money on ammo and quality training under the watchful eye of a competent and qualified trainer than on fancy receiver extensions and magnifiers with FTS mounts.

You still really have no idea what works and does not work for you, and you are changing everything. You need consistency so you can properly evaluate your TTP and measure your progress.

This is not a slam on you, please don’t take it that way. Carbine accessoeries are an easy, fun, and expensive rabbit hole to fall down - believe me I know. I learned the hard way that I was going about things ass-backwards. 

• Like 1

I wanted to just start with a baseline rifle with the components I wanted to have on or integrated into the rifle. When I purchased the rifle the dealer wouldn't help me at all with trying to make the buttstock fit me. It was too short vertically and horizontally. So after I left that place I knew I would be on my own making this rifle fit me. First was to remove the pinned buttstock, which wasn't so hard to do. Bought two other stocks that were a little larger and I could make longer. Ok, good, that part done. Much more comfortable and easier to shoot. Next was to remove that spring rattle in the tube. I knew they made alternative type buffers that entirely changed that so I removed the noisy spring and installed that JP Enterprises quiet one. Ok, stock all done to what I wanted. Threw on iron sites, zeroed them out at the range done. And I knew from all the research I've done I really wanted a red dot. I wasn't going to shoot over 300+ yards most likely so when I saw the Aimpoint H-2 for under $500 with the Black Friday sales I didn't want to pass that up. Red Dot done. That was where I was going to stop completely with any upgrades or making any modifications. That to me was my baseline that I wanted to learn off of. The darn 3x magnifier was a late night impulsive buy which I shouldn't have even spent money on. Lifetime warranty on the magnifier, an ok price I let myself indulge a little. It does add more weight to the rifle, so I may just remove it entirely until I get more competent with just the red dot. Have to remember, we live in NJ, so there isn't much we can do besides go to the range and plink down some bullets. One of the safety range guys at GSSC called a cease fire and I layed my rifle down on the right side. There is a reason for that, but the safety range guy asked if he could check the weapon and turn it around. I said no problem and apologized. He turned it over, pulled the charge handle to make sure nothing was loaded and then took a good look second look at the rifle. After the cease fire he came over to me and said he's never pulled a charge handle that was so smooth, easy like butter. He also said that he expected the rifle to be a lot heavier and was pleasantly surprised on the weight. I basically told him I clean the rifle very well, use good oil where oil is needed and tried to keep the weight down with those extra parts I added. I'm sure he's seen a ton of different AR15 rifles, but at least in my mind I got a little confirmation that the rifle itself is going in the right direction and I'm just following it now with practice, practice, and more practice. My groupings get closer and closer and still consider myself a complete newbie. Then another dude looked at it, and I think his name was Stan. He also indicated it was a nice simple, setup. And the rest of the time I'm buying ammunition, shooting my S&W 1911 and Walther PPQ M2 when the rifle is sleeping. So I'm basically working off the platform I initially wanted to start with. Just a few changes is what I wanted. I have been looking into going to some classes out of The Heritage Guild and other places and do like one on one, but that gets very expensive so I'm evaluating which path I'm going to take for the necessary beginner classes and training. I have not veered away from my ultimate plan, just a few things have changed during the journey. I do know what you mean about money trap/rabbit hole. I'm an engineer and have spent thousands on computer hardware, parts, builds, servers, you name it. Another rabbit hole of money that never ends. 

Sorry for such a long one here, but wanted to try and explain I'm not just buying parts trying to make a rifle look good at the range. I'm serious about learning properly and the right way, which ever happens to be for me. One thing I did not realize was how expensive some of the parts are. I thought since the AR15 is one of the most popular rifles in the world parts would be plentiful and competition fierce bringing down prices. Seems the AR15 parts manufactures are taking advantage of the big interest in these type weapons. And a lot of the parts people are buying have been made 10+ years ago...so the R&D has been paid for a long time ago. Seems to be all profits for these guys now. What I do like is I have never seen so many companies making the aftermarket parts right here in the US. On everything all I see MADE IN THE USA. Kind of makes me proud to see there still are people making things in the US. The only part that said MADE IN CHINA was that Primary Arms magnifier. Right on the tube itself a nice sticker stood right out, MADE IN CHINA. And they put such a high warranty on it. They must get them for like $20 or something. Ok, I have to stop writing.