Howard

Best antivirus for Windows10 ????

I like Malwarebytes but they are in tude wars with other entities that impose on our system. Example: Constantly warning that Google is dangerous, yadda yadda. There are a few.
I shouldn’t have to put up with that crap. I had premium and did not renew. 🤨

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

i'll be interested in seeing solutions. moms puter's got windoze10.....and she's constantly getting hit. so far, i've been able to help her with malewarebytes, and superantispyware free versions....but there's gotta be something better./

Everybody got their reasons, but if someone's computer is constantly getting hit, then they are better off with a linux (ubuntu and other lightweight stuff).  Bit more expensive, but good value long term is Mac. Used Mac can be cost effective. 

If you HAVE to have windows, you have to harden it further including non-admin account, super ninja training for user in computer security.  The problem is, internet is littered with too many ads, click baits, paid content, virus/malware in binaries pretending to be flash or other plugins.  Browsers gets taken over with "search" plugins that are DANGEROUS. Imagine mom trying to get to bank website and "search engine" hijacks her traffic to a look-a-like. 

41 minutes ago, Howard said:

What does anyone think of Symantec Endpoint Protection. I had used that with good results on Win7.

I find all these products to be very bloated and really slow. Especially McAfee. More than one time has their products crap out a good PC after an update. At the end of the day it you must use a bit of common sense and avoid unknown/malicious sites and links. If you have multiple users create separate user profiles. Do not give them admin rights neither. Most malware are profile specific. If no need to have the kids on it then keep them off of it.

• Like 1

Just use Malwarebytes. Great program. I also am in the "technology" industry, so I run a lot of VM's off my unraid box and lots of dockers as well. Several Linux distros of course. I'm up to 64 terabytes and still going. Yes, terabytes. I have a complex network in my house all sitting in a Norco 24 bay server running unraid off a little USB stick handling everything. Pop up a VM in a few seconds, lab work, testing, compiling, just about everything happens on these network cables here. I also run a very large Plex media server for my entire family. So I have everyone's TV shows being recorded and of course movies, movies, movies and more movies! Love movies in the winter. Very big into usenet, have 4 usenet accounts and use them all at the same time, so I rarely ever get failed downloads or miss repair files. I run Sonarr and of course SabNZB+ which is completely automated. Only use high end Dune media players locally that are capable of 4K, 3D and all that jazz.  Big nerd here. Now you know a little bit about me. :)

I'm confused about Malwarebytes in that reviews say it is for use after something gets into your system and is not a true antivirus system.   They equate it to a policeman who only arrests bad guys that have mug shots already in the system versus some unknown guy that is throwing a rock through a jewelry store window cause there is no mug shot of him in their database.

I have always used Avast with great results. The program is kinda bloated now but it seems like they have to be with all of the potential points of vulnerability. I use the free program and havent had a virus ever, but you can pay for the pro version and get extra protection. 

Jackandjill has a good point tho, if your careless with clickbait something will eventually get in. Most people these days get hit opening email links... Being proactive is half the battle. The virus protect is really just there for a momentary lapse in judgement.

Last year, I did an experiment relevant to this topic.  I had a windows laptop, a mac and an android tablet. I used all three for atleast a year, with admin credentials, without ever getting a malware, virus or browser hijacks.  I also had a linux (Mint Linux)

Then I gave each of these to other people who don't consciously think about security. 

Results:

1. Window computer was littered with malware / virus / browser hijacks within a week

2. Mac had malware / browser hijacks within about two months. This mac even had McAfee (live) installed and enabled. 

3. (Surprisingly) Android tablet got weird apps (malware) installed in about 6 months and had to do factory reset

4. Mint Linux survived more than a year (and still going) without ever getting a malware, virus or browser hijack. 

Lessons learned:

1. Windows WILL get virus / malware in a regular user hands no matter how much you harden it, short of use-and-lose Virtual Machine based system. 

2. Linux will survive most, and suits needs of a person who only browses internet, watch youtube etc. However, functionality could be limited when it comes to office type work, tax preparation etc. 

All the antivirus software out there is bloated, resource hungry crap these days.  Norton was first i noticed to balloon with a million useless extra 'features' but these days, they all have so much crap in em they seem to be viruses themselves. Sure slow down a system worse than some viruses...

I currently use avg on most of my systems (win7 tho), both paid and free. Even the paid one has "features" they expect you to pay more for to unlock, which is bullshit. I have used avg, kasperski, panda, ca, and probably others I am forgetting over the years. All will miss stuff, none are perfect.

Microtransactions in antivirus is coming, Im sure - can't wait til they decide deleting a virus is only $1.99 each, or $29.99 for unlimited virus removal for a month...if it works for games and malware, they will try it...

Be smart, use a decent browser, run adblock and noscript, and add malwarebytes to your scanning and you should be ok for most things. And don't allow anyone on the computer you don't need to. It amazes me how quickly some people are capable of fucking up a computer...

• Like 2

Something else I forgot to mention, a lot of programs have a basic (easy) install and an advanced/custom install option. I would suggest for almost all programs to use the advanced install. Both do the same thing, but there are usually more options available on the advanced, such as not installing the ever-soooooooo-useful-you-guys-really-just-try-it free toolbar that is automatically installed by the easy install option. You can usually just click next next next on advanced install, but you can select/deselect options you might want or not want. Sometimes this allows you to bypass the free nagwar....errr...trial of software and just use the free version from the start.

If you don't understand something, look it up online. I have seen so many computers loaded with extra crap no one wants because of stuff like the easy install option.

On a somewhat-topic-related note, avg free for android 6.8.3 has been seriously draining my phone battery since it was updated about a week ago, 20-30% of daily "use" going to avg. I'm not the only one, according to recent reviews of the app. If you use it and get shit battery life, check if avg is using hours of cpu time...

On 12/10/2017 at 10:08 AM, jackandjill said:

Last year, I did an experiment relevant to this topic.  I had a windows laptop, a mac and an android tablet. I used all three for atleast a year, with admin credentials, without ever getting a malware, virus or browser hijacks.  I also had a linux (Mint Linux)

Then I gave each of these to other people who don't consciously think about security. 

Results:

1. Window computer was littered with malware / virus / browser hijacks within a week

2. Mac had malware / browser hijacks within about two months. This mac even had McAfee (live) installed and enabled. 

3. (Surprisingly) Android tablet got weird apps (malware) installed in about 6 months and had to do factory reset

4. Mint Linux survived more than a year (and still going) without ever getting a malware, virus or browser hijack. 

Lessons learned:

1. Windows WILL get virus / malware in a regular user hands no matter how much you harden it, short of use-and-lose Virtual Machine based system. 

2. Linux will survive most, and suits needs of a person who only browses internet, watch youtube etc. However, functionality could be limited when it comes to office type work, tax preparation etc. 

Perhaps you are just shit at setting up a windows box? 

The thing you need to remember is that you aren't protecting the box from attackers 99% of the time you are protecting the user from themselves. For most these days, that means protect their email and protect their browser. 

Set them up with a default non admin account. It's exactly what you are doing when linux and osx "just work".

Get them on a mail service that has good AV and anti phishing. Office 365 or gmail are both decent. 

Set up something like ad block and ghostery for their browser. 

Set up windows defender. 

It may also be time to generally consider a router with AV built in.  I got one, and the amount of shit I see targeting my stuff is near zero. The wife and kid though? Holy shit. 

Well I installed Malwarebytes but have read it is not true anti virus. May also install Symantec Endpoint Protection that always worked very well for me wont Win7.

Dont use Symantec anything. Big cpu hog and bloated. They suck. Caused me more grief over the years.
I use Malwarebytes and Avast, no probs.

29 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Dont use Symantec anything. Big cpu hog and bloated. They suck. Caused me more grief over the years.
I use Malwarebytes and Avast, no probs.

I found that is true of their consumer products, never had such an issue with Endpoint Security which is an enterprise solution not a consumer product.

• Like 1