tony357

marlin 39A project.

16 posts in this topic

I purchased this from jon here on the forums, Today was disassembly day one. only thing left to remove is the barrel from the receiver.

After cleaning and inspecting looks like I will do all the blue parts and stocks. I may send receiver out to be re-chromed. just the left side receiver is bad all the other chrome parts are ok they cleaned up very good two tiny spots on right side receiver that are hard to find. all the internal parts except spring steel were chromed. barrel, tube magazine, fore arm hold down and associated parts all have pitting that can be sanded and buffed up before bluing. There is one broken bolt in rear of scope mount that I will have to get out it is hard bolt cobalt bit would not drill it. stock and forearm I will sand refinish.

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

Just now, tony357 said:

After rough sanding stock and forearm to remove the red schlac that was on them I uncovered pretty nice walnut stock. may finish sand and clear coat to leave natural.

I've never seen ugly furniture on a JM 39. Are you going to give it a linseed rub?

1 person likes this

So I was able to blast the chrome off receiver I have finished the one side and polished it and ready for bluing..I have decided to Durablue the receiver and barrel leaving all the small parts chromed, trigger, handloop, hammer and bolt..if I do not like the other parts chromed ill take it back apart and do those also..

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

1 person likes this