tony357

marlin 39A project.

I purchased this from jon here on the forums, Today was disassembly day one. only thing left to remove is the barrel from the receiver.

After cleaning and inspecting looks like I will do all the blue parts and stocks. I may send receiver out to be re-chromed. just the left side receiver is bad all the other chrome parts are ok they cleaned up very good two tiny spots on right side receiver that are hard to find. all the internal parts except spring steel were chromed. barrel, tube magazine, fore arm hold down and associated parts all have pitting that can be sanded and buffed up before bluing. There is one broken bolt in rear of scope mount that I will have to get out it is hard bolt cobalt bit would not drill it. stock and forearm I will sand refinish.

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

Just now, tony357 said:

After rough sanding stock and forearm to remove the red schlac that was on them I uncovered pretty nice walnut stock. may finish sand and clear coat to leave natural.

I've never seen ugly furniture on a JM 39. Are you going to give it a linseed rub?

• Like 1

Removed the broken off screw out of the receiver today, had to use a carbide end drill bit to cut it cobalt bit would not touch it. It was slow process.. Also used my blaster to remove chrome off receiver and started cleaning barrel up.

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1707.JPG

So I was able to blast the chrome off receiver I have finished the one side and polished it and ready for bluing..I have decided to Durablue the receiver and barrel leaving all the small parts chromed, trigger, handloop, hammer and bolt..if I do not like the other parts chromed ill take it back apart and do those also..

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

• Like 1

guides and bolt assembled.

had to fit loop to receiver so it would close together, this is why it was so tough to break open and I am assuming why loop bolt was warn and bent.

wood installed.

sights and few pieces left and all finished.

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2296.JPG

Installed the new front sight and cover, left the cover bit fwd to allow light to hit gold bead. smoothed out some of the action and housing parts with fine stone to smooth out action. also shimed the finger loop with some left over shims from when I rebuilt my injectors to the 7.3 so saving the leftovers came in handy.

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

After I receive my brownells order for the receiver screw and two butt plate screws, little disappointed with brownells, I ordered those parts the same day I ordered sights and lever screw off ebay the parts from ebay already came and today I installed them. Just checked on my brownells order they just processed and shipped it yesterday took them week to fill the order and ship it, says estimated delivery mar 13th - 15th geez they must be running on skeleton crew. but I ordered the parts from where they were available. I had ordered all these parts from this place http://www.gun-parts.com/marlin/ 3 months ago and nothing ever came I filled out the online order and used cc card so don't ever order anything from here you cannot even call to check and they don't answer their faxes..

Made it out to the range tonight, spent 1/2 hour sighting in by drifting the rear sight. shot 4- 5 round groups and one 15 round group at 25 yds results are very good. 

I have trouble picking up rear sight center so I am going to put white dot in center of rear sight the gold front bead lights right up.

Ammo used Remington golden bullet, The marlin shoots this ammo very good. I get that rear sight to where I can see it good to align front bead I'm sure I will be able to shoot dime size groups.

EDIT: rescanned targets as JPG and included a dime next to best group.

marlin39A.pdf

39atarget1.jpg

39atarget2.jpg

• Like 1