myhatinthering

next wheel gun

10 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

It all depends 

Purpose?

Price range?

^this^

45 Colt and 44 Mag can both be loaded to very powerful rounds but they are big cartridges so generally pretty heavily built guns. 9mm and 45 acp are both good self defense rounds but they aren’t the best choice for hunting in Alaska. 

I personally like 357/38. You can do everything from barely putting holes in paper using light 38 special all the way up to black bear defense with hot 357 rounds. I suspect I’d like 44mag/44 special in the same way, though I don’t have one at the moment. So if you are not interested in 357 and are looking for a jack of all trades sort of caliber, that’d be my choice.

I like the Redhawk 44 mag with a 5.5” barrel

https://www.ruger.com/products/redhawk/models.html

or the S&W 629 6” barrel

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-629

I understand the interest in using 9mm and 45 acp in a revolver but I feel there are better options for those rounds in a semi so other then maybe needing only one type of ammo for a semi, revolver and pistol caliber carbine or using it for competition like IDPA, I am not sure there is a lot of practical benefit in them but sometimes it’s not about practicality :)

JMHO

-Jim

• Like 2

Split the difference. Easier to handle and more comfortable to shoot that a .44, much more power than a .357 for when you need it = .41 Remington Magnum.

Not easy to find, but a 41 in an S&W Mountain gun, or their Scandium framed models have always been on my list. Wish they would make an L-frame in that caliber.

22 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

It all depends 

Purpose?

Price range?

20 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

Thanks, makes a lot of sense.  I do have the 357 already and it's always been a favorite caliber of mine.

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

Just want another is all, not worried about price per se or purpose.  just one more

Then this thread is meaningless.  You aren't giving any information to help you make a smart decision.  Good luck and enjoy your next wheel gun.

not at all, in my initial post I was clear that I'm open to different calibers and ideas. Typically what that means is people will provide their opinions and you can take them for what they are worth. I'm totally open on what I want that's the beauty of wanting something different in that it does not have to be specific! In any event I've decided to buy another 357 and I'm going to buy a Colt Python. The Anaconda looks interesting as well but I do love the 357 round.

some of our fellow board members really do have some gorgeous pythons. 

9 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

There's a Colt Python on Mewe... https://mewe.com/group/56ad5c58e4b035bfcf99eb3a

I've heard of mewe but h ave never visited.  some nice ones on gunbroker

9 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Ruger Blackhawk Convertible can fire 357mag, 38spl, 9mm.

S&W Governor can fire 45acp, 45lc, 410shotgun. Also available with a laser. 

Or you could get a crossman bb pistol with revolving cylinder. 

I'll look at that with another permit.  both sound interesting.  thx

Throw back gun days..old school setup but very cool...

Edit: does Ruger still cut their ring grooves on the Redhawk anymore ? Ill have to research that..

yes, they still do different part # for pistol with cuts adds 80.00 to cost. which is good deal..

IMG_2258.JPG

• Like 1