Zeke

If you use a quality qd Mount for a scope

19 minutes ago, Old School said:

On my 300BO pistol (50yd gun) I took off my Non-QD mount and reinstalled it with no POI change.

I can't see why a QD would be any different.

OS

Thanks, maybe it’s folk lore. I was always of the understanding you remove it you loose it.( rings on scope).

It depends.

Pat used to take his T1 on a LaRue 660 mount off his rifle and throw it across the range. Then he would walk over, pick it up and throw it back again. Then he would reinstall the optic onto the rail and shoot a zero check. It never lost zero.

Keep in mind that not all mounts are created equally. 

If I take an optic off, and I have LaRue mounts (and ADM and DD) I consider zero lost until I can get to the range and confirm the zero is good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

It depends.

Pat used to take his T1 on a LaRue 660 mount off his rifle and throw it across the range. Then he would walk over, pick it up and throw it back again. Then he would reinstall the optic onto the rail and shoot a zero check. It never lost zero.

If I take an optic off, and I have LaRue mounts (and ADM and DD) I consider zero lost until I can get to the range and confirm the zero is good.

Ck, double ck,triple ck... then re ck

My ADM mounts for my red dots, remove and replace, any shift is less than the size of the dot, so it's entirely possible it's me. 

My ADM mounts for my scope, in previous tests it shifted less than 1/4" at 100 yards. Also possibly me or my ammo. How you adjust them can affect repeatability. The closer you get to binding without binding, the less the shift in my experience with my ADM mounts. The less Q, the more repeatable. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Zeek sounds like you need some Ernst Apel mounts, EAW guarantees 100% return to zero every time.  Sprechen sie deutsch?

No habla English 

jus asking a question.

if I get a 1x6 for mine, can I be confident when I put it back on it’s good. Some of you guys have like 8-9 ARs. That’s sooo not gonna fit in my safe

44 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

It depends.

HE I kind of agree with.  I did this on a hunting rifle  OOPS! pistol,  That I only use at 50 max 75yds.  And zero was fine but you noticed I checked it,  I'll always check after removal when I have the opportunity.  

• Like 1

Just now, Scorpio64 said:

Good, just clarifying since you mentioned multiple rifles and no room in the safe.

It would be swapped on 1. Maybe MrsZ will get dedicated scope? Idk. Her lower is naked, here, now...

cmon bud, i ain’t dumb, I jus have lesdexia

Just now, Zeke said:

It would be swapped on 1. Maybe MrsZ will get dedicated scope? Idk. Her lower is naked, here, now...

cmon bud, i ain’t dumb, I jus have lesdexia

uh.... eh....  ahhh....  erm....  omg, I left the iron on, gotta go.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, High Exposure said:

It depends.

I have verified across multiple rifles with my Larue LT-100 equipped ACOGs, no loss of zero when I remove the optic from the rail. 

I used to be pretty anal about rechecking zero, but after several tests, I’ve found it not required as long as I put it back where I removed it from. 

I use ADM for the red dots No issues. I prefer Bobro for the long range adjustable power scopes. Really well made, beautifully machined and always have held a zero for me. Pricey though. 

Side note : dont order an ADM through Amazon. I did last year and regret it. When I got it I threw it in a parts box and didn’t use it for a few months. When I took it out of the box it just didn’t look like my other ADM mounts. On closer inspection it was a counterfeit mount. I couldn’t send it back so I mounted it on a cheap POS Primary Arms red dot and placed it on a seldom used AR15. Lesson learned. I love Amazon for the convenience and quick delivery but more and more I hear about bogus counterfeit items coming from them. From food to high dollar goods. Caveat emptor. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I have verified across multiple rifles with my Larue LT-100 equipped ACOGs, no loss of zero when I remove the optic from the rail. 

I used to be pretty anal about rechecking zero, but after several tests, I’ve found it not required as long as I put it back where I removed it from. 

Until you start cutting half moons into your rail, then it will start shifting. If you put it on and leave it on Larue is probably OK. If you move your mounts on and off more frequently, there are way better options, some listed in this thread.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Until you start cutting half moons into your rail, then it will start shifting. If you put it on and leave it on Larue is probably OK. If you move your mounts on and off more frequently, there are way better options, some listed in this thread.

That’s not been my experience with the Larue mounts. They hold zero between multiple on/off cycles, and should, if they are set up correctly. 

Your mileage may vary, but that has been my experience. 

• Like 1

Here is the thing, it could and does happen, so why use a mount that can do that? Some people keep the cam lubed to try and keep it from happening but...I'd rather just use a mount that doesn't use the rail interface as a contact point that "grinds" the contact surface. Additionally, think about that methodology and how little contact surface that yields. Less than optimal when repeatability is your goal. 

• Like 2

I have never had this issue either and I have a few LaRue mounts on my guns, for optics and lights. I have been using a LaRue 660 T1 mount since 2009.

But I have heard this can happen from a number of very trustworthy sources - I count Shane as one of them.

I suspect the moon has more to do with out of spec uppers and users that don’t RTFM.

Under the heading of “It has and could again, so why risk it” that Shane so appropriately stated, I have switched over to ADM for any new mounts, but I don’t feel the need to swap out my LaRue mounts.

Then again, I view the QD ability as an emergency feature. I do not routinely take the mounts on and off. I install the optic then leave it. The very few times I have taken the optic and mount off, were times I needed to either work on the gun or I was swapping the optic to another rifle.

• Like 2

I don’t ‘routinely’ remove my optic once it’s set up, I did it more as a test of the mounts. I’d rather know it’s repeatable BEFORE I have to remove/reinstall it than have to find out the hard way. 

My tests were done with 4 LT100/ACOG combos, on 4 different rifles. No appreciable change in POA/POI that I can attribute to the mount being removed in any of them. 

Other than testing for my own purposes, as a matter of principal, I leave the optic attached once it’s zeroed. 

Yeah I am probably an outlier. I have A LOT of optics! And many of my rifles are set up to be reconfigured extensively between CQB and DMR, especially my 308 rigs. But aside from that, my stint manufacturing mounts has taught me a great deal. I concede that for many it just wont really matter much, but if we are seeking a deep dive "truth" there is much information to be had here.

• Like 1

I really don't understand quick detach mounts.  Why would you need to remove an optic in the first place?  And, since no-one runs irons anymore do you just plan on shooting over the barrel like the Governor did in the Walking Dead?

Get a standard mount, use loc-tite and be on your merry way.

50 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I really don't understand quick detach mounts.  Why would you need to remove an optic in the first place?  And, since no-one runs irons anymore do you just plan on shooting over the barrel like the Governor did in the Walking Dead?

If your optic shatters but stays intact, how are you going to be able to see your back up irons? Quick detach is to take off a damaged optic preventing you from using your sights. Will it ever go down that way? Probably not. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

If your optic shatters but stays intact, how are you going to be able to see your back up irons? Quick detach is to take off a damaged optic preventing you from using your sights. Will it ever go down that way? Probably not. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.  

Ummmm, no.

In what video game/zombie apocalypse/war zone are we in?

Sure, right now it's the new hotness.  But it's unnecessary, expensive and overkill.  

I'll stick with standard mounts and fixed irons.  If it ain't broke......

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I know of some people, a few in my family in particular, who have multiple optics for one rifle so QD is very handy. They have a RDS most of the time but if they decide to hunt or need more accuracy for whatever reason, they can pull that off and swap on a scope quickly and you know it's zeroed or very close. 

Obviously having a few different rifles configured different ways would be ideal, but if you are on a budget, swapping optics is a lot more cost effective