panteramatt

Speeding ticket in NY

Got pulled over heading to my cabin doing 87 in a 65. I had the cruise on 76 and my gps also said this. Anyway, cop asks if my record was clean and I said yes which it is. He was VERY rude and yes I was being polite. He returned to my truck, threw the ticket at me and abruptely returned to his car where he sped off. Anyway, the ticket is just a piece of paper that has literally NO details on it. I have to plead my case then mail it in. Never seen anything like this. I cant find any info on what the fines or points could be. Do they transfer over to jersey? I dont wanna plead guily and then get me license revoked for some reason. A few people have told me not to pay it but Im pretty sure thats how you get a warrent. Hopefully someone here knows more than me about out of state tickets. 

Ask the clerk of court for a copy of the original

Yes, if you plead or are convicted in NY, you get 2 points I believe in NJ for any out of state moving violation so it really does not matter in NJ  for point assessment if the ticket was for 76 or 87, but it does matter in NY for what the penalty is.

• Like 1

The ticket is a copy of the original. I did read that it would be 2 points which aint bad but I cant believe theres no tell of cost. I know its all just for revenue but at least list what the penalties are on the ticket like NJ or give a website. On a different note, since theres so many cops on here, why the HELL ask me if my license is clean just to not only give me a ticket but not cut me a break whatsoever? I should have handed him my f.o.p, cards but he was such and ahole he might have torn them up. 

Fight it......

Takes time patience and an attorney.

If you have your log in your GPS at the time of the ticket export it

Ask for the latest calibration results of the device he used to clock you.

Ask for the trainING the officer receied to use the device

Ask for how many other tickets he she issued and were contested.....

Eh just pay the effing thing and don't speed. :)

• Like 1

Yea theres no sense in fighting it I just want some insight of what Im looking at. If I were to fight it, Id have to drive 6 hours for the cop not to show up then have them reschedule...yada yada yada. Seen it before. I wish I recorded him and asked to look at his radar but he gave me NO chance of that! Both my friends looked at me like wtf was that? Either way its 2 points no matter how fast it was.

• Like 1

I got one about 15 years ago in upstate NY.

I wrote a letter pleading guilty and apologized but pointed out that the signs were confusing. I also pointed out that of the tens of thousands of miles I drive each year all over the country this was my first infraction is almost 20 years. I got no fine and had to pay $ 35.00 court costs.

Fight it, just to keep the points off your NJ record.

Insurance surcharges make the ticket seem like chump change.

Here is how I did something similar down south.

Find a local traffic lawyer in the town you got harvested.

Have him work with the court to reduce the charge to something with no points, but a bigger fine.

It's really a win win when you look at the big picture.

1 hour ago, panteramatt said:

The ticket is a copy of the original. I did read that it would be 2 points which aint bad but I cant believe theres no tell of cost. I know its all just for revenue but at least list what the penalties are on the ticket like NJ or give a website. On a different note, since theres so many cops on here, why the HELL ask me if my license is clean just to not only give me a ticket but not cut me a break whatsoever? I should have handed him my f.o.p, cards but he was such and ahole he might have torn them up. 

2 points WILL be VERY bad when you get your new insurance bill. so yea....fight it if you feel you can.

that said.....the ONLY  times i've ever had a cop be rude to me was when i earned it. by being a total dick to them. and i was. many times. when i was young. since then, simply by being polite(and sometimes shitty humor) i've been let off for doing over 60 in a 45 zone, for expired reg(both times with the warning "if i see this on the road tomorrow and still expired i'm impounding it).

by the same token, mom almost got run off the road by an unmarked in orlando. when she blew the horn, they dropped in behind her as she pulled into the mall, and lit her up. then proceeded to give her crap about "excessive use" of the horn. but....didn't write her a ticket.

like i've seaid elsewhere i think......police.....like virtually EVERY profession......have bad apples. police like virtually EVERY profession sometimes will defend those bad apples. pol;ice like virtually EVERY profession have good apples well outnumbering the bad apples.

• Like 1

I get it. I have many friends on the force. Cops, troopers, detectives, marshall.... None of them would have acted like this jackass. I dont give a shit if he was having a bad day or what. He was VERY cocky, arrogant and just an ahole. Not needed in any profession but especially police! I was at fault I get that but I was not going as fast as he said and he should have cut me a break proving my clean record. Every cop I know would have. They wonder why the public hates them. Oh and btw, I was VERY courteous. Both of my friends even said I was just gonna get a warning. 

one thing i found puts cops at ease when they popped me for speeding?

cop: is your record clean?

me: it was up till about 45 seconds ago.

i've had a couple laugh at me. a couple gimmaced as in calling me an asshole. some just said to wait. not a single one ticketed me for the speed.

• Like 1

My best exchange went like this:

Me: Good morning officer.

Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?

Me: I have a suspicion, but I'd rather not incriminate myself.

Cop: Chuckle

He then did a walk around and gave me a ticket for an obstructed license plate. (No points)

Me: Sorry, I'll get that fixed

Cop: Don't do that. What would I give you a ticket for next time?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 1:39 PM, Mr.Stu said:

My best exchange went like this:

Me: Good morning officer.

Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?

Me: I have a suspicion, but I'd rather not incriminate myself.

Cop: Chuckle

He then did a walk around and gave me a ticket for an obstructed license plate. (No points)

Me: Sorry, I'll get that fixed

Cop: Don't do that. What would I give you a ticket for next time?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Oh that Brit humor!  I remember you telling this story in person.  I can hear your voice NOW when I read it, lol!

Have a nice match tomorrow Stu!