kwadz

Christ Our Light - anti-2A Catholic parish in Cherry Hill

(Please see the attached jpg.)

Ok, I'm losing my mind about my "Catholic" parish, Christ Our Light (formerly St. Peter Celestine) on Kings Hwy in Cherry Hill, and the way they're handling political events.  This is the third time in less than a year that they've endorsed radical, anti-2nd Amendment rallies or events held by the lunatic, leftist, ultra-liberal Universal Unitarian Church of Cherry Hill which is just across the street.  Today I received Christ Our Light's e-newsletter and the attached picture is from a screenshot at the bottom of the newsletter.  I've previously emailed them or had personal discussions letting my disagreement and disgust be known to the pastor and other priests and staff and I did the same immediately after receiving this email as well.  Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to handle a radical church/pastor such as mine, short of leaving (due to the convenience, it was my parish growing up, and my kids are enrolled in CCD there and really enjoy the program and seeing their friends there)? 

The following link to the church's website has its contact information:

http://christourlight.net/leadership/parish-staff

Christ Our Light: A Catholic Community
402 N Kings Hwy Cherry Hill, NJ 08034

[email protected]

Fr. Tom Newton
Pastor
[email protected]
Ext. 323

Fr. Philip Ramos
Parochial Vicar
[email protected] This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Ext. 343

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Mr. Mike Bedics
Pastoral Associate for Worship and Music
[email protected] This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Ext. 324

Mrs. Cathy Johnson
Pastoral Associate for Lifelong Formation
Director of Adult Faith Formation 

Ext. 349

Ms. Pat Slater
Pastoral Associate for Justice and Community Outreach
Ext. 327

Mrs. Ginny Grogan
Director of Elementary Faith Formation
Ext. 347

Ms. Sherine Green
Director of Youth Faith Formation
Ext. 345

Mrs. Mary Lou Lymper
Assistant for Lifelong Faith Formation
Ext. 346

Mrs. Nancy Douglass
Assistant for Worship and Music 
Ext. 325

Mr. Cort Hrivnak
Assistant for Communications and Information Technologies
Ext. 322

Deacon Joe Seaman
Parish Deacon

Mrs. Mary Jo O'Rourke
Parish Business Manager

Mary Del Rossi
Parish Secretary and Receptionist
Ext. 321

Mrs. Nancy Bradis
Receptionist
Ext. 321

chris_our_light.JPG

Its a very personal thing and only you can decide what you have to do. If I were in that place, I will first cut off any of my donations and let them know in writing WHY, with proper reasoning. 

OR

Ask them for an event spot that you will be organizing in future. Call it "Selft Defense For Domestic Violence Victims". Sub title could include "Arming your self for self-defence". See how they react, just for fun. 

• Like 1

This is why separation of church and state is a good thing. You shouldn't have to choose and the church should not put you in the position of having to do so.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2

I think you may be making too much of it.  They believe they are doing a humanitarian thing.  It's quite common, especially this time of year, and particularly on the fifth anniversary of the tragedy.  

I would guess that most of us are against gun violence, and all unjustified violence, for that matter.  What these people need to be made to realize is that taking guns away from people like us will not make them safer.  They should spend their time and energy going after perpetrators of violence, not the implements they use.  

12 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I think you may be making too much of it.  They believe they are doing a humanitarian thing.  It's quite common, especially this time of year, and particularly on the fifth anniversary of the tragedy.  

I would guess that most of us are against gun violence, and all unjustified violence, for that matter.  What these people need to be made to realize is that taking guns away from people like us will not make them safer.  They should spend their time and energy going after perpetrators of violence, not the implements they use.  

You Sir, are too kind and I salute you. 

Carole Stiller - NJ Chapter of Million Mom March / Brady Campaign. These folks are old enough and wise enough to realize what they are doing and no amount of "information" and convincing is going to change that. 

In fact, its calculated move to organize these events in the times of Holidays and further invoke emotional response from unsuspecting public who would do anything for few minutes of feel-good rants. 

17 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

you just fell for their crap. there is no such thing as gun violence. it is violence. period. the tool used should not matter. the weapon is what matters, and that lies in the grey matter in their heads.

that said....that unitarian church is the one i posted about in the 1a. lounge.

The constructive approach - ask them if you can have a segment of time during their next event to discuss instances where legal firearm owners successfully prevented violence from occurring, or reduced its severity; have a discussion about why those events are under-represented in the media; and review firearm safety guidelines and safe firearms storage options (no sales tax on safes in NJ).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtyDigz said:

The constructive approach - ask them if you can have a segment of time during their next event to discuss instances where legal firearm owners successfully prevented violence from occurring, or reduced its severity; have a discussion about why those events are under-represented in the media; and review firearm safety guidelines and safe firearms storage options (no sales tax on safes in NJ).

excellent idea. wanna bet that they don't let him?

also @kwadz howdy neighbor. my shops right up the street a couple miles from ya.

1 minute ago, 1LtCAP said:

you just fell for their crap. there is no such thing as gun violence. it is violence. period. the tool used should not matter. the weapon is what matters, and that lies in the grey matter in their heads.

I believe that's what I said, although perhaps a bit more gently.  

But I certainly admire your spirited activism.  

If it were me, I would do as suggested above, and try to get equal time for the ‘pro gun’ topics. If they do not allow it, I would cut ALL ties to that church (out of principle), and let them know why. Realize it’s a HUGE inconvenience, but sometimes you have to take a stand on your beliefs. 

I'm curious... do you think you're the only one feeling this way? I would ask around and see if there's other like-minded people in the congregation. It might be more impactful if there's, say, 8-10 of you sitting down with the clergymen, rather than just you. 

I think it's reasonable for people to want to attend church for the religious aspects, but to not want to be assailed by politics while they're there. (You might wish to gently remind them in that discussion of the empty seats in NFL stadiums as of late - I'm sure they don't want empty pews, right?) And I mean, come'on --- look at the flyer. An image of people with megaphones and raised fists? Comments like "make them hear you" and "letters to legislators"? It's not the slightest bit religious in tone... it's implicitly political activism! And if that's what they're going to embrace and they won't budge... then, yeah, maybe you do need a less activist church. I'm not religious myself... but if I were, I would want my church to be a haven, not a source of frustration.

Can't take people like this too serious. They are unhinged.  If anything I'd mess with em. Lol. 

I'm only about 15 minutes from there. Maybe next time I get a deer I'll go butcher it over there. Lol. Sorry but I'm done trying to reason with people like that when it comes to gun laws and hunting. 

Nick

1 hour ago, DaddyNick said:

Can't take people like this too serious. They are unhinged.  If anything I'd mess with em. Lol. 

I'm only about 15 minutes from there. Maybe next time I get a deer I'll go butcher it over there. Lol. Sorry but I'm done trying to reason with people like that when it comes to gun laws and hunting. 

Nick

You might be onto something. How about OP signs up to volunteer, bring some hot chocolate wearing a NRA TShirt ? 

• Like 2

It's stufff like this that makes me glad that I'm an atheist.

I am not judging or attempting the steer someone away from their chosen beliefs.

I actually admire people who have faith. It's something I never had nor will I ever be able to wrap my head around.

That being said I do have respect for people who have faith in a greater power.

• Like 2

In the 90's some Catholic priests (Irish I believe) would run into the middle of gunfire from gang conflict in FULL white ceremonial robes at night to stop the violence.

It strangely worked for one city.

There was even some video footage, but I can't find it. 

The images were burned into my mind, it was like like the nuns of WWII wandering into a battlefield to help the wounded.

Brave, foolish insanity.

On 12/15/2017 at 7:57 AM, Chris1 said:

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

— Luke 22:36, NIV

Jesus was pro self defense. 

Read a few lines down, when they try and defend Jesus with said swords he tells them to stop the madness! 

Hey, guys.  Unfortunately, my wife's grandmother is in the hospital and she's been up there all weekend long, morning to night, leaving me alone with the kids.  I wasn't comfortable bringing them to such an event and my 5 year old would have just whined the whole time, defeating any chance I had at making some kind of verbal or even non-verbal stand.  My 7 year old would have been great, though, as she excitedly attended the Trump 100 day rally in Harrisburg with me back in the spring.  She stood in line with me for 2 hours to get in and never got antsy or bored.  2 years of age makes such a difference in maturity and willingness to participate in political activism! 

Unfortunately, because of everything going on at home, I didn't even make it to Mass yesterday and I really wanted to see whether they included a reminder for this event during post-Communion announcements.  As some of you have suggested, I have definitely considered approaching my church with a request for time to do a pro-family safety seminar or something of the sort.  But, like some of you also mentioned, I want to make sure I find a few more families who feel the same way.  The problem that I foresee is that, while many families like us may technically be members of my church, most of them probably don't attend Mass regularly and therefore feel disconnected with the parish and don't see or hear these announcements.  If I wasn't attending regularly, I would never have known about this and would never have gotten annoyed about anything. 

I need to find others who are just as passionate and angry about it.  I'm trying to figure out how to get there...there isn't a bulletin board for public announcements or anything at the back of the church or anything.  I wear my Trump 45 knit hat to Mass every week in the winter and have not gotten any comments (either way) on it.  I may have to start wearing my Molon Labe shirt or some other explicitly pro-2A gear and see whether anyone says anything. 

Remember when the Romans came to arrest Christ after Judas dropped the dime, but Jesus  was armed with a high capacity 30-rock sling and defended himself?

Christianity is based upon submission and martyrdom. You are supposed to turn the other cheek, be killed, then your family will pray for the murderer to have a change of heart in prison and also go to heaven with you. I'm not being sarcastic, these are the literal values of the New Testament, as printed in the bible.

Sorry. You could simply worship elsewhere if their ideology does not match yours.

7 hours ago, mossburger said:

Remember when the Romans came to arrest Christ after Judas dropped the dime, but Jesus  was armed with a high capacity 30-rock sling and defended himself?

Christianity is based upon submission and martyrdom. You are supposed to turn the other cheek, be killed, then your family will pray for the murderer to have a change of heart in prison and also go to heaven with you. I'm not being sarcastic, these are the literal values of the New Testament, as printed in the bible.

Sorry. You could simply worship elsewhere if their ideology does not match yours.

You may wish to do some additional reading.

https://www.clarkssummitu.edu/self-defense-and-the-christian/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chris1 said:

good point. 

No! All that means That a big part of the reason for Jesus Christ's life was to die! He did not want that interfered with. The purpose of his death was as a final sacrifice to God (His own Son) so that mankind's sins could be forgiven and our very existence could continue!

I don't think the scripture tells us to be willing victims!

• Like 3