Sign in to follow this  
silverado427

PSA ammo notice for Cali residents

18 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

that's actually not true as the Supreme Court in the 19th century ruled that ammo was included in your right to bear arms as ammo/powder was considered essential to that right

I was, of course, kidding. In all seriousness, having declared ridiculous background checks, fees, FFL requirements, permits,  NICS etc as "reasonable regulations", I don't see any court ruling any differently for requiring that ammo be shipped to an FFL. 

In fact, I don't see any court declaring any registration of firearms, ammo etc as unconstitutional at all. Not that its not valid argument, but thats the way courts are, atleast for now. 

I will be happy to be proven wrong. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

So if your ammo has to go to a FFL , Does that mean transfer fee's and a nics check

Dont know about nics (yet), but you bet there will be requirements for "log book" and FFL fees. People will then resort to driving over to next state and hauling it in. Then antis will have another "loophole" to rant about. ... on and on and on... 

Scratch that part about driving from another state. Apparently in CA its illegal to do so starting 2018.  Its actually worse than it looks (let that sink in for a sec). 

------

Can I buy ammunition online or from a catalog?

Yes, but you can’t ship it to your home any more starting Jan. 1. You can still buy online or from a catalog, but you now have to ship ammunition first to a licensed vendor who can charge you a processing fee.

-----------

Will I have to undergo a background check to buy ammunition?

Not in 2018. While you will have to go through a licensed dealer to transfer or buy ammo in California starting Jan. 1, background checks won’t start until July 2019.

--------

Will I have to buy a special ammunition permit under the new background check rules?

Probably not. Proposition 63, approved by voters in 2016, included a provision that would have required ammunition buyers to pay the state up to $50 for a four-year permit to buy ammunition. But legislation signed the same year by Gov. Jerry Brown appears to have overridden that provision – at least for the time being. Rather than requiring a permit, the legislation Brown signed says ammunition buyers will instead pay a $1 state fee for a background check at the point of sale.

----

Can I drive in ammunition I bought out of state?

No. On Jan. 1, it will be illegal to import into California ammunition purchased in another state. The legislature passed a bill in 2016 that would have allowed hunters to bring in up to 50 rounds from out of state without taking it to a dealer, but Proposition 63 overrode that, according to the Department of Justice.

Reference: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/article189213039.html

1 hour ago, jackandjill said:

Can I drive in ammunition I bought out of state?

No. On Jan. 1, it will be illegal to import into California ammunition purchased in another state. The legislature passed a bill in 2016 that would have allowed hunters to bring in up to 50 rounds from out of state without taking it to a dealer, but Proposition 63 overrode that, according to the Department of Justice.

Reference: http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/article189213039.html

And how the hell would anyone know if a Californian bought their ammo in Nevada or not? If they got rid of the sales slip before heading back... and had printed directions in the car of the Nevada range they "planned to visit" and said, yeah, I had some left over that I'm returning with.  That's why all these rules are so dumb. They do nothing to stop crime, but they have legal gun owners turning cartwheels to circumvent the law... essentially creating a whole new tier of low-level "administrative" criminals. Sheer stupidity.

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

but they have legal gun owners turning cartwheels to circumvent the law... essentially creating a whole new tier of low-level "administrative" criminals. Sheer stupidity.

That is the point.  They want to make it as hard as possible. Sure some could figure creative ways around it. But most wont have time. Eventually it becomes too much of a PITA and the majority will stop. Those that keep trucking will be “nuts” or “suspects”

• Like 3

1 minute ago, voyager9 said:

That is the point.  They want to make it as hard as possible. Sure some could figure creative ways around it. But most wont have time. Eventually it becomes too much of a PITA and the majority will stop. Those that keep trucking will be “nuts” or “suspects”

I must be naturally rebellious (or devious?). I would be inspired... viewing it as a challenge to be overcome! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

And how the hell would anyone know if a Californian bought their ammo in Nevada or not? If they got rid of the sales slip before heading back... and had printed directions in the car of the Nevada range they "planned to visit" and said, yeah, I had some left over that I'm returning with.  That's why all these rules are so dumb. They do nothing to stop crime, but they have legal gun owners turning cartwheels to circumvent the law... essentially creating a whole new tier of low-level "administrative" criminals. Sheer stupidity.

Refer to how people were getting caught with fireworks cross from PA into NJ. Yes, they had enough resources so sit at the border and catch people getting fireworks in. 

Second, the more laws people violate, the more criminals they get to make out of us. The more law abiding turn into criminals by violating stupid laws, the better it is for them. 

I didnt know until recently, California actually has border checkpoints for Agri inspections of all vehicles entering from Nevada. So the infra and manpower is already there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jackandjill said:

Refer to how people were getting caught with fireworks cross from PA into NJ. Yes, they had enough resources so sit at the border and catch people getting fireworks in. 

Second, the more laws people violate, the more criminals they get to make out of us. The more law abiding turn into criminals by violating stupid laws, the better it is for them. 

I didnt know until recently, California actually has border checkpoints for Agri inspections of all vehicles entering from Nevada. So the infra and manpower is already there. 

Ammo will be a bit harder to control! There are a few fireworks stores in PA strategically placed near bridges to NJ. It is easy to have a car watch for NJ tags leaving one of those few places. Ammo is available at many gun shops in PA and Delaware.... Not as easy to have a plant at every one!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jackandjill said:

I was, of course, kidding. In all seriousness, having declared ridiculous background checks, fees, FFL requirements, permits,  NICS etc as "reasonable regulations", I don't see any court ruling any differently for requiring that ammo be shipped to an FFL. 

In fact, I don't see any court declaring any registration of firearms, ammo etc as unconstitutional at all. Not that its not valid argument, but thats the way courts are, atleast for now. 

I will be happy to be proven wrong. 

Damn u, I have to agree!!!  Lol.  awful really

23 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Ammo will be a bit harder to control! There are a few fireworks stores in PA strategically placed near bridges to NJ. It is easy to have a car watch for NJ tags leaving one of those few places. Ammo is available at many gun shops in PA and Delaware.... Not as easy to have a plant at every one!

They dont have control or stop anything. They know very well that law abiding citizens pose no threat at all. We all know that was never the intent. The intent is simply to make criminals out of us and everything else falls in place automatically. 

Check out CA Agri border checks. Here is a map of their location for your visual gratification. Point is, every time I think something is outrageous or impossible, CA has proven me wrong. 

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/ExteriorExclusion/CalBorderStationMap.pdf

13 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

Check out CA Agri border checks. Here is a map of their location for your visual gratification. Point is, every time I think something is outrageous or impossible, CA has proven me wrong.

California has had those for almost 100 years; it’s not like they are some recent liberal plot.    I can remember having apples confiscated 50 years ago, and California was pretty conservative then.  But they were also willing to invest to protect what was then their largest industry. 

Remember the medfly?

34 minutes ago, 10X said:

California has had those for almost 100 years; it’s not like they are some recent liberal plot.    I can remember having apples confiscated 50 years ago, and California was pretty conservative then.  But they were also willing to invest to protect what was then their largest industry. 

Remember the medfly?

Point being, there is precedent to most things most of us (atleast I) think are impossible or prohibitively expensive implement / track / confiscate etc. Proposition 63 makes NJ look like 2A heaven (for now). 

http://vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2016/general/en/pdf/prop63-title-summ-analysis.pdf  

10 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

Point being, there is precedent to most things most of us (atleast I) think are impossible or prohibitively expensive implement / track / confiscate etc. Proposition 63 makes NJ look like 2A heaven (for now). 

http://vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2016/general/en/pdf/prop63-title-summ-analysis.pdf  

But unfortunately. not for long!:(

there's three states bordering us. ny is probably out. so two useful. it's super easy to go to pa or de, or even md, pick up your ammo, and head home. just don't drive anything attention getting, and don't drive like a dick, and you'll never be bothered.