gleninjersey

HYPOALLERGENIC DOGS & WHERE TO PURCHASE

Wife is finally coming around to idea of getting a dog.  She has allergies (nothing severe) but her sister got a dog (Cavalier King Charles) that we've pet sat a few weekends with no averse reactions.  That kind of opened the door for me.

I know no dog is 100% hypoallergenic but she wants something that would irritate her allergies the least and shed the least or as little as possible.

If it were up to me I would do a rescue but the odds of that are low for my wife's first time being a dog owner.  

I would like a medium sized dog, wife probably going to prefer something on the smaller side.   I Just don't want something that looks like a purse dog.  Preferably not overly active as my wife and kids will be ones home with the dog most of the time.  I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a dog.

I've just begun my research and seems Schnauzers, some terriers and Poodle / poodle mixes (Labordoodle, Schnoodle, etc) may be our best bets.

So far from what I've read I like something along the lines of a regular sized Schnauzer, Kelly Blue Terrier, Irish Terrier, etc.  Wife may prefer something smaller.

So what are your experiences with hypoallergenic dogs.  Can anyone recommend breeders or breeders to avoid (I've heard to avoid PA Amish puppy mills).

Looking forward to others experiences and input.  

I am very allergic to dogs.

We have a Morkie (Maltese Yorkie mix) who is a small dog - 11lbs. She is very well behaved, not yippy, and pretty smart. We’ve had her for almost 11 years now.

We also have a Kerry Blue Terrier. She’s about 40lbs. Smartest dog I’ve ever met. She will be 2 at the end of December.

Neither dog shed at all. They both have hair that requires regular bathing and grooming - a small price to pay for such great companions. Neither dog has given me any issue with my allergies.

• Like 2

Can't go wrong with kerry blues or poodles. Both very smart breeds. 

Pick your breed and then seach for that breeds "owners club" and get a breeder recommndation from them. While your doing all that check out all the local shelters in your area. 

Only hypoallergenic dog I've had was a Bouvier des Flandres. Also a cool dog but more difficult to train and large. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

High Exposure - how often do you groom your Kerry Blue?  Do you do yourself or bring to a groomer?

We bring her to a local groomer every couple months. She gets 3-4 baths at home between grooming a unless she gets extra dirty.

We don’t keep her in the traditional cut and we didn’t shape her ears.

This is Vader (my son named her):

10e9PLm.jpg

She is hard to photograph because her face is so black.

We got her in Florida. There was a litter of pups ready to be adopted during a trip to Disney. So we grabbed her on the last day and she flew home with us. It was much more well planned than it sounds. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, jrfly3006 said:

Take a look at Goldendoodles...most inherit the Poodle coat and are hypo allergenic with little to no shedding

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We looked at Goldendoodles pretty hard. There was too much inconsistancy and too great a chance to grow allergic over time. You have to really track your generations to make sure you don’t get more Golden than Doodle.

Ideally, to avoid issues you want at least a pup from a second generation Goldendoodle that has been bred with a full Poodle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glockncolts said:

Standard.Poodle. Very smart and not a bad guard dog either...

Definitely a breed we are considering.  Wife and my girls have said they like the miniature Poodle.  I had it confused with a Toy Poodle (tiny purse dog) and I was like "No way!".  The miniature isn't a bad size at all for a first dog.  

17 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Definitely a breed we are considering.  Wife and my girls have said they like the miniature Poodle.  I had it confused with a Toy Poodle (tiny purse dog) and I was like "No way!".  The miniature isn't a bad size at all for a first dog.  

If I were in your shoes I'd go with the miniture poodle. They have a great personality, very easy to train, good chance of finding one in a shelter(if you go that route), plenty of  reputable breeders to choose from and they dont have allot of common health issues. Many don't know but poodles are hunting dogs, they make great flushers and retrivers. Also do great in flyball and agility, two sports you may want to look into for the kids to get involved with. They are a great family dog as in they don't choose just one person to bond with (usually) and they will gladly lay their life on the line for their loved ones if needed. 

Personally I would stay away from all the designer mutts, good breeders don't breed mutts. Americans have already really messed up allot of dog breeds and this designer mutt fad is making things worse. 

Also food for thought the tail and ears do NOT NEED to be cut. If your breeder tells you different find a new breeder.

The labradoodles and golden doodles can get very large.  A relative has a goldendoodle that is 130lbs and is not fat.
The more experienced breeders are breeding mini and petite goldendoodles which for the most part stay less than 50lbs......35lbs is a common weight for minis...great dogs..best of both breeds

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I HAD  no clue there was such a thing.

that said......since mom's been staying with me since my brother disowned her after the election........getting a dog has become a bit more difficult, as she's developed a fear of larger dogs. but....i showed her the website for howling woods farms. wolves baby! :) i might have just softened her up a bit. if i have, i'll be taking her on a trip up there in the spring to see who's up for adoption.

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

I HAD  no clue there was such a thing.

that said......since mom's been staying with me since my brother disowned her after the election........getting a dog has become a bit more difficult, as she's developed a fear of larger dogs. but....i showed her the website for howling woods farms. wolves baby! :) i might have just softened her up a bit. if i have, i'll be taking her on a trip up there in the spring to see who's up for adoption.

http://www.lakotawolf.com/

We've got a Bichon that we love dearly.  He's 25lbs and can be very energetic and a very cuddly lap dog, definitely a sprinter...he goes like crazy then chills out.   We got him because both my wife and I have allergies to animals and he doesn't cause any issues.  He's not yappy but he's a great watch dog.  He alerts if anything is around the house, like other dogs, bears or humans.

I would also recommend poodles if you're looking for bigger dogs.   They are very smart.  A Bichon is essentially a Poodle/Spanish Water dog mix.

santafitz.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/21/2017 at 6:53 PM, gleninjersey said:

Did not know Bichons were a mix of those two.  Very interesting.  Looked briefly on petfinderdotcom and there were several Bichons. Same with Poodles. Will try to talk wife into saving something from a shelter.

Check out the Bichon rescue of Northern NJ.  They have a facebook page and frequently have dogs available.  They are a bit picky in that they want to make sure the dog goes to a good home.  They run in size from 7lb to big boys like ours.  He's 25lbs and not fat.  Vet says he's the proper weight.  Fat ones can get over 30.  Up until about 25 years ago, breeders would destroy big ones to keep the breed size down but they don't do that any longer and the breed size is going up.   If you wanted to meet ours, you'd be welcome to come see him.

• Like 1

So looks like we have FINALLY found something!  If all goes well he'll be ours on Sunday.

We meet today.  Well behaved.  Didn't bark much at all.  Appears to have hair rather than fur.  Good with my girls.  Very playful and affectionate.  Recently fixed & about one year old.  My youngest daugher and I are very excited!  Wife is on board with it.  Oldest daughter a little wary as she wanted a smaller dog but I think she'll get use to him once he settles in with us.  He was jumping up on her and my wife quite a bit because he was excited to see new people.

Rescue labeled him as poodle & schnauzer mix.  I definetly see some schnauzer in his face.  Not sure about the poodle part.  But he definety hardly shed and has hair rather than fur.

Wish us luck!

https://www.petfinder.com/dog/blu-41984848/nj/warren/rawhide-rescue-nj235/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

Nice! Thats a good mix of dogs both schnauzers and poodles are smart dogs so that one should be easy to train. Also FWIW Rawhide rescue is a good group, adopt with confidence!

Best of both breeds (if he is indeed those two breeds).  I prefer mutts as generally less hereditary health problems and wanted an intelligent dog.  He appears to already know some commands.  The rescue worker who he has been for a week now said he hadn't had a single accident in the house.  She's fostered close to 40 rescues and he is only the second one who hasn't had any accidents.

Good to know about Rawhide Rescue.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CageFighter said:

get a GSD!

Ha, I wish.  My first dog as a young child was a German Shepherd.  Excellant dog.

A GSD would be too much for my wife.  She isn't a a dog person.  Would also be too big for my house.

I think the rescue we found will be just the right size.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Matrix said:

I'm thinking of a mini-bull terrier.  I have bad allergies as well.

I'm not allergic to dogs.  Wife is only slightly allergic.  

Terrierers I believe are decent as far as being hypoallergenic but if you have bad allergies to dogs you may want to look at the most hypoallergenic breeds (ones with hair rather than fur).

Good luck with your search.  I've lived without a dog for FAR too long.  Very much looking forward to being a dog owner again!