Bklynracer

Thinking of getting myself a Shotgun

Looking to get myself a gift, a shotgun, maybe a Mossberg 500 or similar.

Many years ago shot a friends Benelli. Not sure which model.

Don't want to go with that yet. Haven't shot a shotgun in years.

If I went with a Mossberg for range and or HD (hope never to need it) 

What would you guys recommend for ammo and or shotgun.

You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500.  I'm sure you're aware that the Remington 870 is very similar, the main difference being the position of the safety.  

You might be able to get one with two barrels, 18.5" for HD, and 26 or 28" for shooting clays.  

I'll let someone else discuss ammo.  A lot of controversy there.  Some recommend birdshot to avoid over penetration, while others say that anything less than #4 buckshot is ineffective.  

I know that our group periodically has shotgun shoots.  If you bring some clays and ammo, most of the folks are willing to let you try their guns.  That might give you a better idea of what you like.  

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

Some recommend birdshot to avoid over penetration, while others say that anything less than #4 buckshot is ineffective.

If, IF you use birdshot.  Use high brass BB shot.   I use it because of my living conditions.  

Nobody still recommends standard birdshot anymore.  

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500.  I'm sure you're aware that the Remington 870 is very similar, the main difference being the position of the safety.  

You might be able to get one with two barrels, 18.5" for HD, and 26 or 28" for shooting clays.  

I'll let someone else discuss ammo.  A lot of controversy there.  Some recommend birdshot to avoid over penetration, while others say that anything less than #4 buckshot is ineffective.  

I know that our group periodically has shotgun shoots.  If you bring some clays and ammo, most of the folks are willing to let you try their guns.  That might give you a better idea of what you like.  

I have seen the aftermath of a hunting accident that high brass waterfowl loads will blow a person leg off.  There is even more power in turkey loads, 2oz of lead at 1300-1400 fps is no joke.  Not optimal, but not underpowered in a HD situation.

Find yourself a used pre 2000 870 Express or a Wingmaster.  You should be able to find an older  used 870 for about $300.00.  I am not impressed by either Mossberg or Remington these days.  The later model guns work okay, but they do not compare to the quality they used to be.  I just bought a Mossy 590, it cycles okay but it's clunky.  My 1992 870 cycles like butter and has NEVER malfunctioned.  The 870 action is a tank! 

Mine came with a 28" bbl but, most of the time, it wears an 18.5" bbl, that I picked up a few years ago.  If you don't like the wood furniture you can go with Magpul gear and throw on a +2 mag tube extension for good measure.

• Like 2

My vote is for a Remy 870. Below is a link to the 18" HD 7 shot model which can accept a 26", 28", or Slug barrels. You can't swap barrels on the newer  "tactical" HD model. And you can remove the +2 mag extension when desired.

REMINGTON 81197 MODEL 870 12ga.HARDWOOD HOME DEFENSE

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/727788800

I have this Remington 870, except that mine has all black synthetic furniture instead of hardwood. I take it to the range every once in a while to function test it. I have about 400rds thru it with 0 internet problems - I know, amazing.

Yeah, I know #4 buck is the best for HD, bla, bla, bla - I DON'T GIVE A SHIT, I run Noblesport 12 pellet 00 Buck x4 backed up by x3 of Royal Star Slugs for HD. The Noblesport 12 pellet 00 Buck kicks like a mule.

I have owned/shot several versions of both the Remington and Mossberg; and in fact still own one of each.  Both have many, many years of proven reliability behind them....the basic designs are sound and durable. 

The Mossberg has lighter weight (due to its aluminum receiver) and a better safety location (for a southpaw like me) in its favor.  Otherwise, it has a bit of a clunky/boxy 'feel' to it (for me), and they tend to rattle a bit as you carry them thru the woods.  I have also heard (but not experienced) of problems with the plastic safety button breaking...mine have all been older models that had a metal button, so I cannot provide first-hand comments.

The Remington, with its steel receiver, is about a half-pound heavier (which IS a factor after a long day in the woods...), and has its safety behind the trigger, rather than on the back of the receiver (a personal preference).  Except for that; they feel tighter/handle better (to me) than the Mossberg...and they don't rattle.  Functionally, I prefer a Remington over a Mossberg....however....in the last few years, Remington's manufacturing has been abysmal.  Shoddy manufacturing techniques have resulted in shipment/delivery of many brand-new Remingtons (all of their products, not just the 870) that require a gunsmith's attention right out of the box!  Because of this; I am hesitant to suggest any "new" Remington product to anyone.

What I would suggest..........take a look at the Browning BPS.  They are a bit more expensive, but (IMHO) the quality and handling is head and shoulders above the Remington or Mossberg.

10 hours ago, JC_68Westy said:

I have seen the aftermath of a hunting accident that high brass waterfowl loads will blow a person leg off.  There is even more power in turkey loads, 2oz of lead at 1300-1400 fps is no joke.  Not optimal, but not underpowered in a HD situation.

No way it would "blow a person' leg off" I've BEEN the victim of a hunting accident. Got shot in the back when I was 12 by some drunk asshole while pheasent hunting. 12g #5 shot pheasant loads. It dident drop drop me when i was 12 I wouldn't expect it to stop someone who is trying to do me harm.

32 minutes ago, fishnut said:

No way it would "blow a person' leg off" I've BEEN the victim of a hunting accident. Got shot in the back when I was 12 by some drunk asshole while pheasent hunting. 12g #5 shot pheasant loads. It dident drop drop me when i was 12 I wouldn't expect it to stop someone who is trying to do me harm.

I said it was a hunting accident and the kid who shot was standing  next to him.  The lower part of the leg was torn off at the calf.  Don't tell me I didn't see what I saw.

Like you, I had not shot one for many many  years and purchased one several years ago.  Highly recommend you first rent a 12ga or come to one of the shotgun shootouts as suggested above.  In my case I purchased a Mossberg 590 (model #50668) and have been very happy with my purchase.  The recoil can be very substantial so, depending on your age and state of health, that may be a consideration. Of course, you can mitigate that somewhat depending on your choice of ammo. The versatility of a shotgun, with it’s many ammo options, is amazing.

On 12/19/2017 at 7:41 AM, fishnut said:

How much p*ssy did this story get you?  

Pics for chicks dude 

1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

Still haven't decided, been busy, but leaning towards a Mossberg 500 with a 18" and 28" so I can also go and learn clays. Thanks for asking. 

Remington 870, 200 year commemorative with A grade walnut, they are beautiful.  It's like the 70's are here again, just for a short time, until the limited editions run out.  Cabelas has them for $375.00 right now.

13d06fb922140a24e245d2b8e4ca1e10.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Remington 870, 200 year commemorative with A grade walnut, they are beautiful.  It's like the 70's are here again, just for a short time, until the limited editions run out.  Cabelas has them for $375.00 right now.

I was also looking at the 870. The Mossberg also had the wood stock. Really like the look of the wood stock. It gas a classic look. Will check out the cabelas one. 

8 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I was also looking at the 870. The Mossberg also had the wood stock. Really like the look of the wood stock. It gas a classic look. Will check out the cabelas one. 

If I didn’t have an 870 hd I’d rock that in a heartbeat!

19 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Love

4 minutes ago, louu said:

What ever you buy make sure it has chokes. Do not buy a shot gun that does not have screw in chokes they are useless.

That's a little harsh, but if anyone feels their fixed-choke shotguns are useless, I'll be happy to give them a good home.  I won't even charge you.

I do like the flexibility of my interchangeable choke O/U, but after reading this post it occurred to me that I've never, ever had occasion to change the choke tubes in it.

And yeah, that commemorative 870 is gorgeous, and a heck of a deal for that price.

• Like 1

I spotted a Mossberg Mariner sitting all lonely at Cheyanne, so I took it home.  Paid too much but that was in the Odummy frenzie.

Anyway,it came with a waterproof orange carry case, like a big cyclinder.  I can stash it underground or in the pool if need be.  :)

Basic and functional.  Haven't been clay shooting since al kd, so this one is soley a HD tool.

• Like 1