Bklynracer

Thinking of getting myself a Shotgun

46 posts in this topic

What ever you buy make sure it has chokes. Do not buy a shot gun that does not have screw in chokes they are useless.


Removable chokes are nice, but far from something that is the deciding factor for if a shotgun is useful.

Remington Police shotguns don’t have threaded tubes. Doc Holiday’s shotgun didn’t have removable tubes. Mireles’ shotgun in the 1986 FBI Miami shootout didn’t have removable chokes. My main home defense shotgun is a 20” 870 Police... improved cylinder fixed choke. I know what PDX1 does out of it, so it is extremely useful if I need to use it in a defensive situation, that I hope never occurs.

Being able to change chokes is more of a sporting thing over anything related to defense. And even in something like trap, once you have the shotgun setup, you really don’t change them out between squads. I’ve seen people use it as an excuse, but more likely doesn’t have any effect because the person couldn’t lead the target well enough.

The tubes really come into play when you are taking the shotgun outside of it’s effective range. You also need to be mindful of if the pattern will have the energy to do the job at that range (my father got hit with a 00 pellet at about 125 yards from an idiot that hunted with his group for about two days... bounced off his Carhartts).

I was thinking about having the barrel threaded on my TAC-14... but considering it is a firearm that should be used within 20 yards, changing out chokes wouldn’t be as much of a help that it would be worth it. Getting a new barrel for it (vent-rib), and not going to worry about chokes. Cylinder bore is fine for the intended role... which is why it is so common on defensive shotguns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Screwball said:

The tubes really come into play when you are taking the shotgun outside of it’s effective range

choke tubes come into play when you are setting up for it's practical range, taking the size and type of shot you are using into consideration.  Skeet, duck, goose, turkey, trap, they all have their own requirements. Different loads, different shooting distances.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Screwball said:

 


 My main home defense shotgun is a 20” 870 Police... improved cylinder fixed choke. I know what PDX1 does out of it, so it is extremely useful if I need to use it in a defensive situation, that I hope never occurs.

 

 

If for home defense(inside 15 yards), chokes are somewhat useless. I run the same setup out of a 1987 wingmaster, updated with some magpul furniture. If the wood wasnt cracked it would have stayed. 

Most remingtion 18-20in barrels do not have threads to change choke size and are improved for use with slugs.

18 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

choke tubes come into play when you are setting up for it's practical range, taking the size and type of shot you are using into consideration.  Skeet, duck, goose, turkey, trap, they all have their own requirements. Different loads, different shooting distances.

A lot of factors here but we can sum it up easily, more choke equates to a tighter pattern at longer distances. The distance you are shooting the game is more important then the game itself. I tend to use tight chokes for ducks geese , to max out distance. I use IC for upland and pheasant and skeet, as I shoot much closer..   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are interested in a shotgun that can be used for both Sport & Home defense

I have the Mossberg 3-N-1 combo (12ga) IN STOCK

You have a 28" Vented Rib BBL / 18.5" HD BBL / Stock & Pistol Grip

You can run the 28" BBL w/ Stock for Sport + The 18" with either the stock or PG for HD

New in Box with LIFETIME warranty - $425.00

51482.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<----- has a home for wayward, unwanted, fixed-choke shotguns.

I'll give them a happy home and make sure they still feel wanted....respected....dare I say 'loved'?

 

I offer this to the community at absolutely no charge as a service.....

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

If you are interested in a shotgun that can be used for both Sport & Home defense

I have the Mossberg 3-N-1 combo (12ga) IN STOCK

You have a 28" Vented Rib BBL / 18.5" HD BBL / Stock & Pistol Grip

You can run the 28" BBL w/ Stock for Sport + The 18" with either the stock or PG for HD

New in Box with LIFETIME warranty - $425.00

51482.jpg

That’s not a bad deal! But it’s a mossberg!

 

im kidding... ford vs chevyChevy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here we go! (In the voice of Mike Goldberg)

Ok so there are actually uses for SG's without chokes, well really only 2. One, shooting a deer 20 feet away and shooting peope. I'll bet any thing that no one on here will ever shoot a person, well at least not on purpose anyway. 

It's 2018 get a gun with chokes there is probably over 20 reasons to, I'll give as many as I can until I get bored or that baby needs attention.

1. Shotguns are by far the most versatile guns and have many many uses. 

B. Let's say your friends want to go shoot some sporting clays (I'll just assume you all know what sporting clays really is) and all you have is a SG without chokes. Well you won't break nearly as many clays as your friends that you know you can out shoot. Simply because they have a tighter patten for the far shots and a bigger pattern for the close fast clays. 

3. Same as above just with 5 stand instead of Sporting Clays.

D. Let's say another group of friends or even the same guys want to go water foul hunting. Really you should have a 3 1/2" gun with chokes but a 3" will suffice with the right ammo and a tight choke. 

5. You want to impress the wife (or husband if you swing that way, don't worry I won't judge) and you go out to the WMA or your local range with a box of clays, the hand thrower or the old school spring thrower from tractor supply. Well now you can put in your cylinder choke, throw out a big pattern, bust them fast and close. She'll say wow your really good honey...

VI. Your grandson wants to go turkey hunting and obviously you need a turkey choke so you can blow the bastard head off (the turkey not your grandson). Well just go get a turkey choke, some high brass, some skunk piss or whatever they rub on themselves to hunt and your all set.

7. This one I see all the time. Guys say oh I'll never shoot any kind of competition. Then the watch a 3 gun match at the local club and say wow I can do that or meh, I might give that a try someday. The next match they come out with their tactical HD SG without chokes because it's the only SG they have. So these guys do awesome with the pistol and rifle but they can't knock down a steel target with the SG 30 feet away because of the gun. So they spend more money on a new SG and the old non threaded SG sits in the back of the safe never to be touched again.

I can keep going

Why LIMIT the most VERSATILE gun if you have a choice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JT Custom Guns said:

If you are interested in a shotgun that can be used for both Sport & Home defense

I have the Mossberg 3-N-1 combo (12ga) IN STOCK

You have a 28" Vented Rib BBL / 18.5" HD BBL / Stock & Pistol Grip

You can run the 28" BBL w/ Stock for Sport + The 18" with either the stock or PG for HD

New in Box with LIFETIME warranty - $425.00

51482.jpg

Thank you for the offer, I was offered the same deal by a dealer much closer to me in Bergen County..

Also want to thank all who responded, I purchased the Remington 870 from Cabelas. 

 Maybe I'm crazy but might also get the Mossberg. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

Thank you for the offer, I was offered the same deal by a dealer much closer to me in Bergen County..

Also want to thank all who responded, I purchased the Remington 870 from Cabelas. 

 Maybe I'm crazy but might also get the Mossberg. 

Nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, louu said:

And here we go! (In the voice of Mike Goldberg)

Ok so there are actually uses for SG's without chokes, well really only 2. One, shooting a deer 20 feet away and shooting peope. I'll bet any thing that no one on here will ever shoot a person, well at least not on purpose anyway. 

It's 2018 get a gun with chokes there is probably over 20 reasons to, I'll give as many as I can until I get bored or that baby needs attention.

1. Shotguns are by far the most versatile guns and have many many uses. 

B. Let's say your friends want to go shoot some sporting clays (I'll just assume you all know what sporting clays really is) and all you have is a SG without chokes. Well you won't break nearly as many clays as your friends that you know you can out shoot. Simply because they have a tighter patten for the far shots and a bigger pattern for the close fast clays. 

3. Same as above just with 5 stand instead of Sporting Clays.

D. Let's say another group of friends or even the same guys want to go water foul hunting. Really you should have a 3 1/2" gun with chokes but a 3" will suffice with the right ammo and a tight choke. 

5. You want to impress the wife (or husband if you swing that way, don't worry I won't judge) and you go out to the WMA or your local range with a box of clays, the hand thrower or the old school spring thrower from tractor supply. Well now you can put in your cylinder choke, throw out a big pattern, bust them fast and close. She'll say wow your really good honey...

VI. Your grandson wants to go turkey hunting and obviously you need a turkey choke so you can blow the bastard head off (the turkey not your grandson). Well just go get a turkey choke, some high brass, some skunk piss or whatever they rub on themselves to hunt and your all set.

7. This one I see all the time. Guys say oh I'll never shoot any kind of competition. Then the watch a 3 gun match at the local club and say wow I can do that or meh, I might give that a try someday. The next match they come out with their tactical HD SG without chokes because it's the only SG they have. So these guys do awesome with the pistol and rifle but they can't knock down a steel target with the SG 30 feet away because of the gun. So they spend more money on a new SG and the old non threaded SG sits in the back of the safe never to be touched again.

I can keep going

Why LIMIT the most VERSATILE gun if you have a choice?

Many of these examples would warrant a different size barrel, let alone chokes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, louu said:

they come out with their tactical HD SG without chokes because it's the only SG they have. So these guys do awesome with the pistol and rifle but they can't knock down a steel target with the SG 30 feet away because of the gun.

If someone cannot hit a target 10 yards away, even with a cyl or modified cyl choke, it is not the shotgun's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

If someone cannot hit a target 10 yards away, even with a cyl or modified cyl choke, it is not the shotgun's fault.

I guess you had to be there all the many times this happened with many different length barrels all of witch had no chokes. They were hitting it just fine, you could see how big the perfectly centered pattern was hitting the berm around the steel. 

Bottom line is when you are looking to buy a shot gun, buy one with chokes so you don't limit yourself. It's less expensive, easier and smarter to just change a choke than a whole barrel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2018 at 10:09 AM, louu said:

What ever you buy make sure it has chokes. Do not buy a shot gun that does not have screw in chokes they are useless.

 

 

Mainly, Lou, its because you called them "useless"....not as "versatile", yes, but far from "useless".   Even for my shotguns with screw chokes, most of the time I screw a modified choke in and just not worry about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now