AVB-AMG

R.I.P. Lones Wigger Jr. – Best Rifle Marksman Ever…..

Lones Wigger Jr., age 80, died last week at his home in Colorado Springs, CO. 
Years ago I had read about Lones Wigger Jr. and his incredible accomplishments in competitive shooting, including:

• Was the most decorated rifle shooter in the world, having won the most medals ever.
  • Four-time USA Olympian and two-time Olympic champion.
  • Longest period in dominating his sport.
  • Anointed by his competitor peers with the label “best rifle marksman ever”.
  • Held the most national and world records.

AVB-AMG

FYI – here is a link to his obituary:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/18/obituaries/lone-wigger-jr-dead-champion-rifle-shooter.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobituaries&action=click&contentCollection=obituaries®ion=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this...I was unaware of Lones' passing.   I'm sad to hear the news.

Lones was dominant in the shooting sports in a way that no one has been before or since.   He was a machine.  And a heck of a nice guy.  I only met him once, when we both showed up at the Walsh Invitational at Xavier University in the late 70's, him late in his shooting career, me early in mine.   Needless to say, I got thrashed...seeing him there was a little like showing up for a recreational basketball league game and spotting Kobe Bryant on the opposing team.  The only thing that ever came close for sheer intimidation factor was at my first international match, when the guys in the matching red track suits with CCCP on the front walked onto the range.

Some years later I was talking to the US Shooting Team manager, who remarked that competitive shooters are anonymous in the US...but when the team travelled to Europe, random people on the street would recognize Lones with some regularity.

Somewhere I have a picture of Lones and I on the range at Xavier.  He remains the only celebrity with whom I ever asked to have my photo taken.   

• Like 1