gleninjersey

Star Wars, "The Last Jedi".

No thread on this?  The Force is weak on njgunforums!

Caught the movie last night.  My inner geek was very pleased.  Thought it was much better than "The Force Awakens" which I felt retreaded a lot of ground.

This was a completely new, fresh story that introduces a few new characters.  Even though over 2.5 hours (longest Star Wars so far) the story moved along at a good clip.

If you're a fan, I think you'll be very  pleased.  

Saw it last night also at the $7 Tues special. At 2 1/2 hrs felt I got my $ worth....didnt seem so new, fresh to me. Same old battle cruiser fight scenes, same old do or die mission, same old social mecca full of charectors, same old intro of a few new critters...but I did like the charactor development and how that moves on.

I saw it Thursday night - I am a giant SW geek and couldn’t wait.

I thought it was good, not amazing but solid. It solves a lot of The Force Awakens conflicts but leaves a lot questions either partially or completely un-answered. 

There were a couple parts I really didn’t like, but discussing them starts to get into spoiler territory and I don’t want to go there.

How Episode IX closes this arc will determine if Episode VIII stays just good or becomes great.

Some thoughts:

- Way more nudity than expected

- Smart idea to sing the whole movie as a rap battle

- Charlie Sheen and Nick Cage totally hold their own

- Kylo Ren’s love balled felt awkward

- I could have done without the 22 minute Frozen short in the middle

- Ending it with Smash Mouth’s “All Star” was a bold choice

• Like 3

Bring your Texas catheter - between the movies and about 45 minutes of commercials and trailers I think I was in the seat for 4 hours.

The fact that the kids stayed attentive for that long is some indication that the movie was decent.

Wasn't my favorite - CGI and space battles were awesome, but the story/plot didn't impress.  I especially get annoyed at major characters just dropped into the story with zero introduction (don't want to spoil anything, so I'll stop there).

Don't wanna spoil anything, so someone I'll call Varth Dader coming back to life and killing everyone was unexpected. The 30 minutes of blank screen (ok, just a field of stars) after everyone died was unexpected, too. I have zero idea who they bribed to get the pg13 rating with that gratuitous Rey scene, but they gotta throw in stuff for the adults, and I thank them for it.

Saw it Thursday too, and I was quite happy with it. Then again, i have enjoyed iv,v, vi, vii, and viii, plus r1. I find it funny that the actual Disney movies feel far less Disney than I/II/III, which I wish I had the skills to edit down to one movie and eliminate most of the crap in them and make into one I can stand watching - I watch everything in order before each new one comes out.  I am sad I have to wait months to watch it with my surround system, theater sound setups don't usually sound all that great to me - usually overdriven and a bit too much treble for my tastes.

So glad I waited for this to come out on video. The force is definitely strong with this episode. Everything political and SJW is forced into his movie. I'm not a big SW junkie like others are, but I cannot believe how Disney ruined this franchise and took advantage of its fan base by the storyline or lack there of. Don't want to give away any spoilers for those who have not watched it yet. Do people still not know who Luke Skywalker's father is?

*Mary Poppins makes a cameo

*PETA activism

*We learn that one of the character's middle name is Mary Sue

*Major character does a 360 and goes against their core principles from what they have been portrayed throughout the franchise

*Newton's Law is ignored

*Nepotism over survival

*Misogyny is still alive and well in the future

*Love conquers all

*LOS does not apply to the force

IMO, feminism, progressivism, PC culture, and diversity is killing Hollywood entertainment. You're much better off reading a book or taking up a new hobby than spending money at the theaters. I did like Rogue One and somewhat The Force Awakens, but The Last Jedi has definitely turned me away from anything new in the Stars Wars franchise to come.

BTW - HISHE provides a better storyline.

Regards,

TokenEntry

1 hour ago, TokenEntry said:

Major character does a 360 and goes against their core principles from what they have been portrayed throughout the franchise

*Newton's Law is ignored

*Misogyny is still alive and well in the future

That would be a 180, not a 360.

SciFi constantly ignore Newton's Laws...and plenty of others.  It's kind of a requirement to make interesting things happen in science fiction.   In the real world, we can't even get a human to Mars anytime soon.

This isn't the future, the movie was set a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

It wan't my favorite movie of the franchise, but It's entertainment...I'm willing to suspend a good bit of disbelief, and it's certainly not a flick I felt a need to view through the lens of what the Hollywood politics behind it might be.   

I saw it once in the theaters, and I was not overly impressed. Wasn’t thrilled with the SJW slant to the movie.  Because I am a total Star Wars nerd, I bought the Blu Ray over the weekend. I’ll sit down and re-watch, and see if I can wrap my head around it. 

The OT, and R1 was without question the best, not sure where TLJ comes in to the pecking order. Surely, it’s better than TPM, and Jar Jar Binks...

I saw Solo, meh. It’s kind of boring and about 20 minutes from the end felt perfectly fine that I wasn’t going to miss anything important if I went to use the bathroom. C/C+ maybe. 

It’s the first SW movie I have seen in the theater since The Phantom Menace. If this is the way SW is now, I’ll pass on spending money on future installments.

I haven’t seen Last Jedi, probably won’t. I saw Force Awakens on TV and it was ok, maybe a B-/C+ but only because it was pretty much a watered down New Hope with different actors though I hate the Rey character. She’s a boring 2D person with no growth in the whole movie. She just acts like she’s been Wonder Woman her whole life and just does things never before seen and is like “ok I’ll do this now” not even surprised she can throw things around with the Force and can beat a trained swordsman with a lightsaber even though she’s never touched one in her life. 

Neither of those movies was particularly fun to watch, just moderately interesting. Should have gone to see Upgrade instead, that looks like a fun movie.

JMHO

-Jim

I’ve seen Solo twice now. Going again this weekend with my son and my dad.

I liked it very much and thought it was much better than TLJ.

Ultimately, I love all of the movies, even the ones I didn’t particularly like - because in the end, it’s still fucking Star Wars.

The movies, books, TV shows, comics, video games, they are all a part of the story. You may not like what happens, or how a particular character is portrayed, or how a writer or director handled a scene, but that doesn’t ruin it.

No matter how annoying Jar Jar is, or how bad Anakin’s acting was it doesn’t make the Hoth battle any less awesome. You hate Rey, that’s cool. It doesn’t take away from how badass the battle of Scariff was, or the space battle above Endor, or the first time you saw Yoda use a lightsaber. 

May the Force be with you!

• Like 1

Disney/LucasFilms have attacked long time Star Wars fan base who have a differing opinion about the TLJ. For this reason, I will not pay to see Solo. Solo can be one the best film of the year, but I will not go see it for this very reason. Instead of listening and maybe accepting criticism by fans they were being dismissive. You can look at the Twitter posts by Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams, Rian Johnson, and even some of the actors from TLJ and see what they think of fans. To me, it's like deja vu of the primary election all over again.

There is too much identity politics being spilled into the entertainment industry more than before. It has reached a point if a certain actor is in a show/movie, I'll skip over it. When you watch a Star Wars film one should come out of the theater saying "It was great!" and I'll be back next week to see it again.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Saw it, was ok, really liked Lando.   Rogue One is awesome. 

Star Wars used to be a favorite, now it’s a story about losers. Solo abandons his wife and son, a deadbeat dad to chase bad deals with his Wookiee pal. Leia runs the rebellion into the ground. Luke trains one bad egg and runs away to an island to fade into oblivion. What a bunch of inspirational heroes.