JoeTK37

2 Permits and too many decisions

After the wait permits are finally in. I want to pick up a sub compact .380 semi and then a .357 revolver so far this is what I’m thinking  I haven’t shot any of them and would love feedback from any who have

.380: Kahr CW380 for the ultimate in pocket size fun or a G42 for something a little more shootable. This is just a range toy since there’s no way to carry here. I love the idea of something as tiny as the Kahr(and like that it’s a little more unique), but maybe the Glock is more customizable and pleasant to shoot? 

.357: this is just because a big honking .357 is cool and I’ve never owned or shot a revolver  I’ve narrowed it down to the Smith 686  really digging the new Performance Center models though they’re probably overkill for a 3-4time a year range visit, maybe something more like the SSR but who knows  

love the hear thoughts, thanks!!

• Like 1

I have a Kahr CM9.  Great little pistol that I carry around the house when I'm in the mood.  I've shot it a bunch and find it not at all unpleasant.

The 686 and/or 686+ are some of the best handguns on the market.  I have a 3" that is the last pistol that I will ever sell.  That said, don't overlook the Ruger.  I have an Alaskan and it's a beauty.  

Good luck with your decision.

Well, I'm not a huge fan of .380 just because I don't think it does anything particularly better then 9mm and 9mm wins on cost, availability, variations available and overall usability. The only area .380 wins is in length by about 1.7mm so maybe in a tiny pocket gun there might be an advantage. So I can't help you there since I haven't looked too hard at pistols chambered in it. 

On 357 on the other hand, I have a little experience. If you are just looking for a range toy, a 6 inch 686 is a great way to go. Accuracy with the long radius on the iron sights is very good and it's a lot of fun. Easy to clean in stainless but a little time consuming with scrubbing carbon rings. If you are looking at home defense or competition, 4 or 5 inch are probably a better option with 4 inch being standard for a lot of competition shooting. Also easier to draw from a holster then a 6 inch.

I have a 627 pro and a 686 6" and like them both for different reasons but honestly my favorite is my Ruger GP100 match champion. It's just a all around great gun. Comfortable grip, reasonable weight, decent for recoil with 38 special +p (a little snappy with full power 357s) good trigger out of the box. I know a lot of folks say the S&W has a better trigger and that is true but out of the box, the 686 is much heavier on trigger pull then the Match Champion and I don't find myself wanting a trigger job or a spring change on the GP where it helped the 627 out a lot and the 686 is still stock so it is very obviously heavier double action pull then the GP. The only thing that is a little hiccup in the GP trigger is there is this little plateau right before the break where you think it is at the apex but you need to pull just a little bit more to get it to the break. Out of the box the the single action pull on both the S&W's is just a hair crisper with a tiny bit of creep on the GP before the single action break.

I am actually going to throw out something different and say a S&W model 66. I recently held one and I'm impressed with it. If you aren't looking for something to soak up full bore 357 all the time (I shoot 38 specials 95% of the time) the 66 is a great size and weight. Very comfortable to hold and an easy pointer and the price is very reasonable.

Though really there are so many good options I don't think you'll be unhappy with any 4 - 6 inch 357 out there right now.

-Jim

You already seem to know the drawbacks of the .380, so why not get a sub-compact Kahr in 9mm. I have an MK 9 and it is really a terrific gun.

As for revolvers - well we all know what brand I'm going to recommend, but as far as what model - 686 (standard model) or 686 SSR or as Jim B1 said, a new model 66 (that would be a 66-8). I have no use for a 7-shot revolver, so stick with a 4" / 6-shot or go whole hog and get an 8-shot 627 variation: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-pro-series-model-627

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Adios,

Pizza Bob