MichaelDiggs

QD co-witness rail mount

Why wouldn't the QD LaRue make your list? I pop my ipod off and on all the time. Haven't seen or used a mount as well made except DD comes in second. Waiting for my 2nd LaRue QD Aimpoint mount so I can remove everything when needed. Specially when cleaning since I get carried away with the oils sometimes. 

I know some people made fun of me in another post because I like to clean my hardware but the only reason why I wanted to remove my furniture was I did not have a rifle mount/stand at the time. Now that I have one it is much easier to clean and any mounted hardware doesn't get in the way.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MichaelDiggs said:

I know some people made fun of me in another post because I like to clean my hardware but the only reason why I wanted to remove my furniture was I did not have a rifle mount/stand at the time. Now that I have one it is much easier to clean and any mounted hardware doesn't get in the way.

Making fun and tuff love very different things.

jus sayen 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 4:18 PM, High Exposure said:

Don’t remove your optic to clean your gun. That’s unnecessary and just plain silly.

fixed... 

kidding.. well kind of.. 

but I am at least curious as to why you would remove anything to clean the gun? I mean on the off chance I do clean my AR (which is VERY infrequent).. I am running a bore snake through it.. cleaning the bolt.. and hitting with some light lubricant.. the process takes next to no time.. and is not complicated in any way.. 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2018 at 0:06 AM, vladtepes said:

fixed... 

kidding.. well kind of.. 

but I am at least curious as to why you would remove anything to clean the gun? I mean on the off chance I do clean my AR (which is VERY infrequent).. I am running a bore snake through it.. cleaning the bolt.. and hitting with some light lubricant.. the process takes next to no time.. and is not complicated in any way.. 

Because I did not have a mount for it. Cleaning it with furniture on it without a mount and having to turn it upside down just knocks around my aimpoint and magnifier. Now that I finally got a nice mount for the AR all the furniture stays on. And that's exactly what I do. Clean the bore, take apart the BCG and clean that. Slap it all together with a little oil and done.

1 hour ago, MichaelDiggs said:

Because I did not have a mount for it. Cleaning it with furniture on it without a mount and having to turn it upside down just knocks around my aimpoint and magnifier. Now that I finally got a nice mount for the AR all the furniture stays on. And that's exactly what I do. Clean the bore, take apart the BCG and clean that. Slap it all together with a little oil and done.

That still makes no sense. I call b/s. Why do you have to turn it upside down to clean the bore and remove the BCG to clean it? And your aimpoint won't mind a few bumps, I promise.

There is clean and there is CLEAN. For me, a quick going over like vlad describes is what I normally do. But if its been a while with a lot of rounds through it or the rifle is going to go dormant for an extended period, then I do a "full service" cleaning. If I am doing a full cleaning I usually pull the optics. This is done primarily to protect against a moment of butter fingers. I do tend to have a lot of high $ optics on my stuff so it just seems like a prudent move. I haven't dropped one yet, but I know so many that have.

On 12/28/2017 at 3:38 PM, MichaelDiggs said:

Why wouldn't the QD LaRue make your list? I pop my ipod off and on all the time. Haven't seen or used a mount as well made except DD comes in second. Waiting for my 2nd LaRue QD Aimpoint mount so I can remove everything when needed. Specially when cleaning since I get carried away with the oils sometimes. 

Me and Vlad G bought QD mounts about the same time. He bought a larue spr-e and I bough an ADM recon-x.  Time goes on. He starts rebuilding his rifle for three gun and spends about a Labrador retriever on ammo trying to zero the thing. Finally swap guns, swap shooters. Everyone has a problem with his gun,  he seems fine on other people's guns. Spend another dog or two chasing down the part that don't work. The larue mount has chewed up his upper. IIRC both the upper and one of his mount's clampy bits was now out of spec. IIRC his attempt to get customer support form larue did not reflect their stated lifetime warranty policy. 

My adm still works, hasn't marred my receiver, and I was able to recently swap out the ring portion for a reasonable price to support my new 34mm scope. The only thing I can complian about is that depending on your upper, your choice for adjusting the rclampy bits may be between "that doesn't seem tight enough" and "you have a funny definition of quick". 

17 hours ago, Hairless_Ape said:

That still makes no sense. I call b/s. Why do you have to turn it upside down to clean the bore and remove the BCG to clean it? And your aimpoint won't mind a few bumps, I promise.

I guess different people clean their rifles in different ways. I would certainly not think everyone does the same process when cleaning their rifles. That would mean millions of people clean their rifles the same exact way. I will mount my Aimpoint with the Daniel Defense mount since that's been rock steady. Even mount the magnifier with a non QD mount. The only QD mount would eventually be the bipod. Also the Giessele's have that one large nut you screw on and that's it. That comes off very easy without tools. I'd have to get the torque settings for their mounts on that large nut. I'm thinking 20-30 lbs.

6 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Me and Vlad G bought QD mounts about the same time. He bought a larue spr-e and I bough an ADM recon-x.  Time goes on. He starts rebuilding his rifle for three gun and spends about a Labrador retriever on ammo trying to zero the thing. Finally swap guns, swap shooters. Everyone has a problem with his gun,  he seems fine on other people's guns. Spend another dog or two chasing down the part that don't work. The larue mount has chewed up his upper. IIRC both the upper and one of his mount's clampy bits was now out of spec. IIRC his attempt to get customer support form larue did not reflect their stated lifetime warranty policy. 

My adm still works, hasn't marred my receiver, and I was able to recently swap out the ring portion for a reasonable price to support my new 34mm scope. The only thing I can complian about is that depending on your upper, your choice for adjusting the rclampy bits may be between "that doesn't seem tight enough" and "you have a funny definition of quick". 

Was there a reason or any indication that there was something wrong with the LaRue QD mount? Seems if you lock it tight enough that thing isn't moving anywhere. I did think LaRue mounts were top notch and the best. Maybe not.

9 hours ago, MichaelDiggs said:

Was there a reason or any indication that there was something wrong with the LaRue QD mount? Seems if you lock it tight enough that thing isn't moving anywhere. I did think LaRue mounts were top notch and the best. Maybe not.

The larue qd works by pulling a steel disk up against the bottom of the picatinny rail protrusions. Steel is harder than aluminum. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, raz-0 said:

The larue qd works by pulling a steel disk up against the bottom of the picatinny rail protrusions. Steel is harder than aluminum. 

For my Aimpoint I'm sticking with the Daniel Defense permanent mount. That's been very good to me with some blue lockTIGHT.