Sign in to follow this  
Displaced Texan

Displaced Texan’s smoked meats thread...part deaux

Well folks, after a quick overseas trip for work, it’s time to make Christmas Dinner. 

This year, we’ve decided to smoke a brisket. 

I started off with an 8lb packer brisket. I rarely see this one that small, but just for 2 of us, it’s plenty. 

I trimmed the brisket, leaving about 1/8-1/4” of fat on the back side. I removed all the hard fat, because that won’t render. 

Rubbed it down with olive oil as a binder, and my favorite rub, and left it in the refrigerator overnight so the rub soaked in a bit. 

I started the PBC this morning, and hung it. Bought a new thermometer (cause I hated the old one), this one has a probe to monitor the smoker temperature. The PBC settled about 260-265*. 

When the meat reached 160*, I pulled it off, and wrapped it in butcher paper moistened with a bit of beef broth. I sprayed it on with a little pump sprayer. Wrapped it back up, and stuck it back on the PBC (with the grate installed), until it hit the magic number of 203*. 

Once it hit 203*, I pulled the brisket off, wrapped it in a towel, and stuck it into an empty cooler...which is where it sits now. I’ll let it rest for at least an hour, probably 2.  Total cook time was about 7 hours. 

After it rests, I’ll separate the point and flat, and slice this little puppy up for dinner. I’ll post pics of the finished meat after it’s sliced.

We are saving the point for smoked brisket chili. Mmmmmm!!!

For some reason the pics posted out of order. I think you’ll get the idea....

Merry Christmas, y’all!!

FE31F33A-75D0-4DB3-9C09-61882529C795.jpeg

F269B73C-677E-4F30-ADC5-575D2A540BF4.jpeg

AD14C11A-D9BF-48A2-BF75-2715A28948E5.jpeg

517485C1-98DD-4EC4-A3C8-6CEF12259590.jpeg

EA189786-2C78-4990-9E4A-0246FDAF3B36.jpeg

A7154D8B-B39D-491B-A9F4-A3866319121C.jpeg

E9471D96-26E8-4FB4-8C82-8B2A8F5F0648.jpeg

F3E6E805-0B8A-42D6-89B7-51DAD72FF2EE.jpeg

0E82CAAB-E078-45E2-A8F4-B8990A7A42AE.jpeg

• Like 2

Dinner is served!

Brisket is very tasty, with a nice smoke ring. Next time I use a smaller brisket, I’ll keep more of the fat cap on it, as it wasn’t as juicy as mine usually turns out. Other than that, it was delicious!

Mrs Tex grabbed and ate my ‘photo shoot’ slices before I had a chance to get pictures, but you get the idea. Lovely smoke ring!!

I made a sliced brisket sandwich (almost) the way I grew up eating them. I forgot to pick up an onion when I was at the store today....but brisket, on white bread, with a little bbq sauce, and dill pickle slices. Damn tasty!!

The rest will be made into brisket chili (unless Mrs Tex raids the refrigerator after I go to bed). 

T Bill, a smokefest sounds awesome! We’ll have to work that out!

Ray Ray, Mrs Tex already has the position filled!! Come to smokefest, and you’ll get to taste some good bbq, between me and all the other bbqheads on here!

E022122D-F7C8-47B8-B2D9-806AE9263A6C.jpeg

B5B26DAF-06F6-4A23-98DC-3C7976291BC5.jpeg

• Like 1

Never understood white bread, for me a real good Jewish rye bread, we'll send Ray Ray to Pechter's in Harrison to pick some up. Yes, Ray Ray you can join us!  Temp at 260 may have been a touch to high run mine at 230 and pull at 193.  Carryover goes another 5 plus.  Looks D-lish. 

We had a bone in roast that we cut into rib eye steaks on the grill and a bunch went on to be seasoned to make into jerky on Tuesday.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

Every roadside bbq joint in Texas serves sandwiches on white bread...more of a nostalgia thing for me. I bet it would be awesome on a Amoroso cheesesteak roll....hmmm, maybe a breakfast idea!!!

Regarding cooker temp, 260 of so is about normal for the PBC. They tend to run a bit hotter than a traditional smoker. 

21 hours ago, T Bill said:

Never understood white bread, for me a real good Jewish rye bread, we'll send Ray Ray to Pechter's in Harrison to pick some up. Yes, Ray Ray you can join us!  Temp at 260 may have been a touch to high run mine at 230 and pull at 193.  Carryover goes another 5 plus.  Looks D-lish. 

We had a bone in roast that we cut into rib eye steaks on the grill and a bunch went on to be seasoned to make into jerky on Tuesday.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

+1 on the Pechters! My father grew up in Harrison, I know it well. 

DT where did you get your whole packer?