Sign in to follow this  
Mrs. Peel

Coyotes Are Colonizing Cities. Step Forward the Urban Hunter.

Interesting article about how coyotes are moving into suburban and even urban areas... and the people hunting them down in those environments. Eegads...I can only imagine the risks of this kind of hunting are much higher than hunting in a less populated/rural area.  Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coyotes-are-colonizing-cities-step-forward-the-urban-hunter/ar-BBHmxj3?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp 4

2 hours ago, AlexTheSane said:

How long before the coyote hunt protests start?

And in NJ we already have a Legislator that proposed "Tonka's law" after a hunter shot a dog with an arrow because he thought it was a coyote....and yes there are people riled-up enough to protest Alex!

IF they wanna protest a coyote hunt.....we could always set it up the humane way. catch and release. we'll trap em where they're not wanted. then we can release them safely into the neighborhoods where these people that love these animals so much live. :D

• Like 3

coyotes are all over the place in central jersey. See them all the time in the piscataway area. I've seen dead ones along rt 18 in New Brunswick. I've seen them throughout most of middlesex. 

If we are going to have them, I wish they'd eat more canada geese or at least scare them away. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 2:56 PM, 1LtCAP said:

IF they wanna protest a coyote hunt.....we could always set it up the humane way. catch and release. we'll trap em where they're not wanted. then we can release them safely into the neighborhoods where these people that love these animals so much live. :D

"Good afternoon, Sir.

I'm from Governor Murphy's office of Sanctuary Services. With your participation in last month's protest of coyote hunting in our great state, you've been selected to be a Coyote Sanctuary Shelter location. We will be erecting a 12 foot high cyclone fence around your entire property (at taxpayer expense, of course) and delivering your initial share of currently tranquilized coyotes to it. We will periodically check on the number and condition of your sanctuary guests and replenish their numbers as we see fit.

Goodbye and good luck."

I know this thread is a little aged, but I was wondering what do hunters around here do with fox or coyotes after they shoot them?  When I was stationed in South Dakota, they could be sold for the pelts.  Hunting them there was encouraged because they were a nuisance to the livestock ranchers which is a primary industry in that area.  What is the protocol around here?

Bury them hadn't occurred to me. That's interesting.  My uncle shot a coyote once and has it as a standing mount.  Can't imagine what that cost.  I'll have to ask around the local area if any taxidermists take them to mount and sell if the person bringing it in is not the one purchasing the mount.