Achilles

Softest shooting .45

Heavier guns soak up recoil, so a steel framed 1911 would be perceived as softer—and the triggers are oh-so-nice.   A low bore axis will also help, by reducing muzzle flip.  I’m not sure which of the steel framed guns have the lowest bore axis

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Achilles said:

I do like 1911, its a classic. But i hate the fact its a low round count.

anyone shot HK 45, or HK 45c?

Once Murphy gets in, standard 1911 mags will be considered high capacity! The stupid among us have truly elected the Devil!

Obviously a full size 1911 will be the softest shooter in .45 cal.

I have a Para Ordnance P14.45 LDA Limited. It's a steel framed pistol, and recoils very mildly. In addition to carrying it for a few years, I've also used it for teaching new shooters, due to the ease of recoil control.

• Like 1

I tried out a bunch of .45s before buying my 1911 and the softest shooter was probably the FNX-45. It's a big gun with a 15 round capacity.  Great home defense weapon IMO.  You can try one out at Heritage Guild in Easton, PA. I really enjoyed shooting FNX-45 and may pick one up down the road.

2011 coming in on the low end is Remington with there 1911 double stack 15 rounds..you can find an executive on gun broker around the 1800 mark..

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/723950042

used executive

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/731027300

https://www.remington.com/handguns/model-1911-r1-enhanced/1911-r1-enhanced-double-stack

great price I would check with supporting forum dealers if your interested in the Remington. 

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/730671907

10 hours ago, Achilles said:

I do like 1911, its a classic. But i hate the fact its a low round count.

anyone shot HK 45, or HK 45c?

I have an HK45 and its an ez shooter.

The softest shooting .45 single-stack will be the AMT Hardballer with it's LONG slide & barrel, lowered beaver-tail grip safety and a drop-in Wolf spring to accommodate hand loads that travel 100 fps slower than factory ball ammo.

As far as a production gun, any well-made 2011 steel frame with standard 5" barrel, lowered beaver-tail grip safety, smooth as a baby's ass SA trigger has enough weight, especially with 15-16 rounds (one in the tube) at the onset of engagement to "feel less felt recoil" from .45 ACP factory rounds.  My preference in a production gun would be a STI.  http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-2011/ .

In a home defense situation, the capacity of the mag doesn't mean a thing if your strong-hand is otherwise occupied during a confrontation (picking-up a child to remove same to cover) or taken-out with a stab or bullet wound the bad guy already applied and you can't operate the hand gun with your weak hand & make it cycle.  ANY firearm that you therefore cannot bring to bear with more than one bullet in a weak-hand ONLY engagement therefore becomes a SINGLE-SHOT firearm when fractions of a second count.

What's the BEST .45 ACP hand gun for home defense?  It just might be a Wheelie with an "action job" :)   Pull the trigger & it goes BANG multiple times..........

• Like 1

.45 ACP is a solid cartridge, no doubt about it.

But, I am curious how you decided that your top choice in caliber for your pistol should be .45ACP if you are concerned with how soft your pistol shoots and you want a high magazine capacity - two things that .45 ACP isn’t exactly known for.

• Like 6

Of all the .45 ACP handguns I've owned and/or shot, the softest feeling one was the Ruger SR45.  I don't know why, but the felt recoil was very light compared to everything else I have.  Frankly, I found it boring to shoot compared to everything else so I sold it.

1 hour ago, mustang69 said:

Of all the .45 ACP handguns I've owned and/or shot, the softest feeling one was the Ruger SR45.  I don't know why, but the felt recoil was very light compared to everything else I have.  Frankly, I found it boring to shoot compared to everything else so I sold it.

Stainless heaven heavyweight heavy.

f=ma

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Achilles said:

Happy Holidays everyone!

im getting few permits, but will be buying just one pistol. I decided on .45

the only .45 i have shot was Glock 21. What is the most softest shooting .45 in your opinion?

I’m at a tossing salad issue. Manual of arms. 1911 vs sig 220....

Capacity and .45 should never be used in the same sentence. Unless you’re manly, with @Ray Ray like man hands.

jus sayen, it’s a big boolit 

Just get a 1911, period.  After market everything and hand reloading will  make it the "softest shooter".  Hand loaded 200SWC under 3.8 bullseye  (YMMV) and a 13 or 14 lb spring will make it the softest shooting 45 ever. Ask a Bullseye shooter.

1 hour ago, T Bill said:

Just get a 1911, period.  After market everything and hand reloading will  make it the "softest shooter".  Hand loaded 200SWC under 3.8 bullseye  (YMMV) and a 13 or 14 lb spring will make it the softest shooting 45 ever. Ask a Bullseye shooter.

Don't change springs.  I think John Browning knew what's best.  Changing springs brings many more issues.  An item for another thread.  Last time I looked (maybe 50 years ago) Colt listed the same part number for a Govt Model and a Gold Cup spring 

I actually started learning handgun shooting with a 1911 about 10,000 mIles from NJ.  The 1911is not that hard a gun to learn.  Get over that wussy boy crap.

Mrs. Peel handles a steel frame 1911 quite well.  Including a 1918 Colt.  

A 1911 with 230 gr hardball is easier to learn than a 357 in a k or l frame.

11 hours ago, High Exposure said:

.45 ACP is a solid cartridge, no doubt about it.

But, I am curious how you decided that your top choice in caliber for your pistol should be .45ACP if you are concerned with how soft your pistol shoots and you want a high magazine capacity - two things that .45 ACP isn’t exactly known for.

I already have glock 19 and ppq m2, want to diversify calibers.