JohnnieHaddad

Hello from North Haledon!

37 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

My family and I just moved to North Haledon from Foxborough, Massachusetts. It's been a great couple of months, and we really like it here so far.

I spent much of yesterday and today at the police station discussing firearms licensing and the arduous process of pursuing a license to carry. Does anyone have experience obtaining a carry permit here? Am I dreaming or is it at all possible?

I have mine for Massachusetts, and I was told it's difficult there. It took two years of having the equivalent of an FID card here, but I was able to get my LTC there. 

At any rate, I'm a youth pastor at a reformed church in North Haledon, and I like BMX, cigars and as you can probably guess, guns.

Nice to meet you all!

-Johnnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JohnnieHaddad said:

Hi friends,

My family and I just moved to North Haledon from Foxborough, Massachusetts. It's been a great couple of months, and we really like it here so far.

I spent much of yesterday and today at the police station discussing firearms licensing and the arduous process of pursuing a license to carry. Does anyone have experience obtaining a carry permit here? Am I dreaming or is it at all possible?

I have mine for Massachusetts, and I was told it's difficult there. It took two years of having the equivalent of an FID card here, but I was able to get my LTC there. 

At any rate, I'm a youth pastor at a reformed church in North Haledon, and I like BMX, cigars and as you can probably guess, guns.

Nice to meet you all!

-Johnnie

Welcome! No carry permits here... yet

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than CCW, NJ has purchase permits. You don’t have to and shouldn’t register anything you already own but make sure they are NJ complaint.  Get a firearms purchase I’d (FID) they covers new rifle and handgun ammo purchasss and then if you want more handguns you’ll need to get a new permit per handgun. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Other than CCW, NJ has purchase permits. You don’t have to and shouldn’t register anything you already own but make sure they are NJ complaint.  Get a firearms purchase I’d (FID) they covers new rifle and handgun ammo purchasss and then if you want more handguns you’ll need to get a new permit per handgun. 

What qualifies a gun for NJ compliance? I've looked and from what I can tell, it's not extremely limited. Am I missing something? MA had a 10+lb trigger pull, 10 round magazine limit and various other rules which barred many handguns from being available in the state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnnieHaddad said:

 

To be honest, I don't pay much attention to sports, but I would argue that the Patriots are the best team to support. 

If CCW is so uncommon, does everyone here just have gun purchasing licenses then?

 

47 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Other than CCW, NJ has purchase permits. You don’t have to and shouldn’t register anything you already own but make sure they are NJ complaint.  Get a firearms purchase I’d (FID) they covers new rifle and handgun ammo purchasss and then if you want more handguns you’ll need to get a new permit per handgun. 

I’ll add one permit per handgun, and one handgun a month. And p2p( handgun permits) only good for 90 days.. yes welcome to communism. But remember, the criminals all abide by these laws also..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JohnnieHaddad said:

What qualifies a gun for NJ compliance? I've looked and from what I can tell, it's not extremely limited. Am I missing something? MA had a 10+lb trigger pull, 10 round magazine limit and various other rules which barred many handguns from being available in the state. 

Here it's 15 rounds....for now! No trigger pull crap here. If you are into black rifles there's a whole list but not so much with handguns. If you have any specific questions about a gun that concerns you, you can post it here or PM me and I will be glad to help if I can.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, voyager9 said:

There is a sticky thread here that describes all the limitations. 

I think this is it

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-read-before-posting-nj-gun-law-faq/

 

Thank you very much! I read through majority of it. I appreciate the time that must have gone into putting that up on here. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Here it's 15 rounds....for now! No trigger pull crap here. If you are into black rifles there's a whole list but not so much with handguns. If you have any specific questions about a gun that concerns you, you can post it here or PM me and I will be glad to help if I can.

One question: What muzzle devices are permissible on AR-15 style rifles, given they are not listed among the forbidden ones? I see that flash hiders are illegal, does that extend to brakes or compensators?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised you read through all that with your sanity intact! In NJ law, all guns and ammo are illegal. They then list exemptions to those laws. If it's not listed, it's not illegal. Frankly, it's worded to be confusing deliberately since the people who wrote them and passed them into law are anti 2A.

Be careful of "constructive intent" while bringing your guns into compliance. An example of that is you order an AR upper from the internet which has a bayonet lug and a flash hider. Let's say you don't have a lower for it yet and don't yet own another AR. You are fine with that upper since you don't have all the parts to build a working rifle. If you do have an AR you are not fine since you could put that lower on the non compliant upper. Good luck with the insanity!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I am surprised you read through all that with your sanity intact! In NJ law, all guns and ammo are illegal. They then list exemptions to those laws. If it's not listed, it's not illegal. Frankly, it's worded to be confusing deliberately since the people who wrote them and passed them into law are anti 2A.

I lost my "sanity" when my local PD told me that in order to apply for a carry license I must supply a recent and pressing threat on my life. If I was presented a recent and pressing threat on my life, while myself abiding by the NJ gun laws, I would be dead, thus negating any need for a license to carry. What happened to "constitutional rights"? Isn't this beautiful state in the US?:think:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NJ currently grants CCW's in one of 3 ways:

1 - You are employed as armed Security guard or in a smiliar Security/Law Enforcement capacity

2 - You are politically connected enough to convince the police chief and judge in your jurisdiction that you have "justifiable need"

3 - You are not politically connected, have actual "justifiable need", apply, get denied, appeal to local court, get denied again, appeal to NJ supreme court, get denied again, and then sue in Federal Circuit court.  Sometime after filing suit in Federal Circuit court, but before a circuit judge actually rules on the case, NJ will then issue you a CCW permit for 2 years to avoid a federal ruling on NJ's suppression of the right to bear arms.  All the legal costs involved are yours to bear.

 

99.X% of the CCW's issued in NJ are via situations 1 or 2.  Vanishingly few go through situation 3 partially or entirely.  This allows NJ to claim "99% of CCW permit applications are granted".

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

NJ grants CCW's in one of 3 ways:

1 - You are employed as armed Security guard or in a smiliar Security/Law Enforcement capacity

2 - You are politically connected enough to convince the police chief and judge in your jurisdiction that you have "justifiable need"

3 - You are not politically connected, have actual "justifiable need", apply, get denied, appeal to local court, get denied again, appeal to NJ suprement court, get denied again, and then sue in Federal Circuit court.  Sometime after filing suit in Federal Circuit court, but before a circuit judge actually rules on the case, NJ will then issue you a CCW permit for 2 years to avoid a federal ruling on NJ's suppression of the right to bear arms.  All the legal costs involved are yours to bear.

Thank you. I will abide by the law, however, I think that is absurd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnnieHaddad said:

Thank you. I will abide by the law, however, I think that is absurd.

You are not alone.
 

Some NJ 2A/RKBA groups you may wish to join to fight this entrenched suppression of CCW:

ANJRPC:

http://www.anjrpc.org/

CNJFO:

https://www.cnjfo.com/

NJ2AS (controversial group as of late):

http://www.nj2as.org/

For what it's worth, I'm a member of CNJFO and NJ2AS, although I'm questioning my NJ2AS membership.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, one other thing if you're not aware - NJ recently elected a rabid anti-2A governor who has vowed to sign any gun control bills the legislature sends him.  The majority anti-2A NJ legislature had many gun control bills vetoed by the outgoing governor.

We're expecting an onslaught of new gun control bills to get passed starting in the latter half of January.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/27/2017 at 4:47 PM, JohnnieHaddad said:

What qualifies a gun for NJ compliance? I've looked and from what I can tell, it's not extremely limited. Am I missing something? MA had a 10+lb trigger pull, 10 round magazine limit and various other rules which barred many handguns from being available in the state. 

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

The vast majority of handguns are legal in NJ - only handguns that are construed to be "assault weapons" are banned (look at the sticky on this site as to what makes a handgun an "assault weapon"). NJ does not have any 10lb trigger pull, drop test or melt test requirements for any firearms.

 

Some other things different in NJ than MA:

NJ does not register long guns

Mossberg Shockwave/Remington Tac-14 are legal here (for now at least)

Magazine capacity for semiauto firearms is 15 rounds (again for now at least) - but keep in mind this also applies to rimfire rifles as well, so be careful with older tube feed .22 semiautos - non semiautos are not capacity restricted

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

WELCOME!!!!!!!!!

The vast majority of handguns are legal in NJ - only handguns that are construed to be "assault weapons" are banned (look at the sticky on this site as to what makes a handgun an "assault weapon"). NJ does not have any 10lb trigger pull, drop test or melt test requirements for any firearms.

 

Some other things different in NJ than MA:

NJ does not register long guns

Mossberg Shockwave/Remington Tac-14 are legal here (for now at least)

Magazine capacity for semiauto firearms is 15 rounds (again for now at least) - but keep in mind this also applies to rimfire rifles as well, so be careful with older tube feed .22 semiautos - non semiautos are not capacity restricted

Thank you very much!

Once I get my buying permit, I may be paying you a visit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 10:41 AM, JohnnieHaddad said:

Are those "legal" due to the shape of the grip? ie. not pistol style? And may I ask the price? I'm very interested!

They are legal because they don't fit the definition of a shotgun or a pistol under federal and state law. We've been selling a lot of them - don't pay any mind to what Zeke is saying, they make an excellent personal defense weapon.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An overview for NJ:

(1) There is no such thing as a carry permit in NJ. In fact, we like to put people in jail from other states who think their carry permits are recognized here.   The law says something about carry permits but they don't actually exist in the wild.  Nobody gets approved unless you're connected.  http://www.nj2as.org/elitism_exposed

(2) Purchase of a long gun (shotguns or rifles) can only be done after you have a Firearms Purchaser's ID Card (FID).  A card is good forever once you get one (unless you change your address).  You get the application from your local PD and they take anywhere from 1-5 months to approve the application even though the law says they get 30 days to do so.

You also need an FID to purchase handgun ammunition in NJ.  Buy your handgun ammo in PA or DE.  Oh, and don't buy hollow point ammo.  It's legal to own but there are restrictions on when you can transport.  If you accidentally drop a round in your trunk and then go to church, you could end up in prison.  Welcome to NJ.

(3) Purchase of handguns requires a new permit each time.  The application for a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun" (P2P) is the same application as the application for the FID.  Same process, same wait.  One permit gets you one gun.  You can apply for as many as you want but they're only good for 90 days and you can only buy one handgun every 30 days.  Many PD's call you to pick up permits a few days after the permits are approved so you don't really get 90 days to use them.  You can apply for one extension of an additional 90 days but it's up to the local PD whether they approve extensions or not.  Some do, some don't.

(4) lots of guns are illegal here.  NJ calls them "assault weapons".  There's a list of about 60 guns (assault weapons) that are banned by name.  There are banned handguns and shotguns but the ones that cause the most problem are usually the banned rifles .   For example, you can't own an AR15 in NJ.  But since all of the AR15 clones are called something else, they're okay.  It's only illegal if it's stamped "AR15".  

Then there is the "evil features" list.  You can only have a semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine if it has only 1 "evil feature".  The evil features are pistol grip, flash hider, bayonet mount, adjustable stock, and grenade launcher. If you have two of these evil features, it's illegal.   So, we own AR15's that are made by other companies (so they aren't stamped AR15), we put muzzle brakes on them instead of flash hiders (which must be welded in place so we don't ever remove them), we grind off the bayonet mount lugs, and we drill and pin the stock so it can't adjust anymore.  This must all be done by the gun shop before you are allowed to touch the gun.  It's just good common sense.  http://themaintenanceguy.com/gfimages/definition-nj-assault-weapons.pdf

(5) An FID card lets you transport long guns as long as they are cased and unloaded or in the trunk.   You can never transport a handgun unless you are traveling between (a) your home, (b) a shooting range, (c) your fixed place of business that you own, (d) a gun shop that is going to do work on your gun, (e) a new residence - while moving.   Even then you must transport unloaded, cased, or locked in the trunk.   Want to take your handgun back to your parent's farm to shoot tin cans - felony.

(6) Registration of firearms is voluntary in NJ.  If you purchase a handgun using a permit, that permit gets sent back to the State, so consider that registered, but you do not have to register anything else.  There is a form to register your guns.  Some PD's have told people that it's required when you move here. It's not.  Don't do it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now