Zeke

Thrower Battery

8 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

For how long do you want orange skies?  Are you going to be tired of shooting in an hour or less, or are you supporting an outing of multiple shooters for 4 hours?

4 hours plus a wobbler in the future... 

Get an Interstate SRM-27 and a Noco Genius G3500 charger it will work fine.  The wobble motor eats up a lot of juice and the thrower motor just compounds that even more.  You'll need every bit of a 100AH plus driving that configuration for the day.

You need a charger that can effectively charge deep cycle batteries.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Zeke said:

Ok, let’s get serious, how small a battery is really needed? Deep cycle of course, but under 21 series?

What model thrower. can you park close to where you shoot and use thrower?

What do the specs say in the instructions for battery capacity ? looking online and have not found it.

read there catalogue it says deep cycle marine battery not included no specs.. so yah I would go with group 27 like T Bill mentioned. I was also thinking you could make up a quick connect cable for your vehicle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tony357 said:

What model thrower. can you park close to where you shoot and use thrower?

What do the specs say in the instructions for battery capacity ? looking online and have not found it.

read there catalogue it says deep cycle marine battery not included no specs.. so yah I would go with group 27 like T Bill mentioned. I was also thinking you could make up a quick connect cable for your vehicle.

The short bus MrsZ brings all us kids to shoot only has one battery. Little Leary of using that. You and @T Bill both agree group 27. I don’t have the wobbler yet, but im sure it draws some juice. 

Wheely bird. The wobbler need to be modified to work, but I’m sure all of us here can figure it out.

It would be extremely helpful if you could give us the power rating off the thrower.  It should be on there somewhere in Amps or Watts.  I an guesstimating that it is rated at about 10-15 Amps and the wobbler (oscillator) will eat up another 5 Amps.  .  The oscillator will continuously draw current but the thrower will only draw current when it is being operated so it's kinda hard to factor exactly how much juice it uses for each throw..

Did some looking around.  For just the Wheelybird, you can probably get away with a battery as small as a tractor battery, it should throw at least three cases of clays..  They are not deep cycle though so the battery life will be shortened with each use.  Starting batteries, even small ones, are meant to deliver a lot of amps for a short period of time and do not tolerate being discharged below 80% well.  Deep cycle can be discharged to about 50% before it affects battery life. 

A deep cycle battery with at least a 50Ah rating should be more than enough for the thrower and the oscillator. You'd run through a case of ammo before a 50Ah battery even breaks a sweat. . If it were me though, I'd buy a really nice jump start power pack, not the slim compact ones, but the big hefty kind that has all the bells and whistles; air pump, light, USB charger, inverter.  It will probably supply all the power you need for a full day of shooting, it has a deep cycle battery, holds about 20Ah of juice, and you can use it for something else besides throwing clay pigeons.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

It would be extremely helpful if you could give us the power rating off the thrower.  It should be on there somewhere in Amps or Watts.  I an guesstimating that it is rated at about 10-15 Amps and the wobbler (oscillator) will eat up another 5 Amps.  .  The oscillator will continuously draw current but the thrower will only draw current when it is being operated so it's kinda hard to factor exactly how much juice it uses for each throw..

Did some looking around.  For just the Wheelybird, you can probably get away with a battery as small as a tractor battery, it should throw at least three cases of clays..  They are not deep cycle though so the battery life will be shortened with each use.  Starting batteries, even small ones, are meant to deliver a lot of amps for a short period of time and do not tolerate being discharged below 80% well.  Deep cycle can be discharged to about 50% before it affects battery life. 

A deep cycle battery with at least a 50Ah rating should be more than enough for the thrower and the oscillator. You'd run through a case of ammo before a 50Ah battery even breaks a sweat. . If it were me though, I'd buy a really nice jump start power pack, not the slim compact ones, but the big hefty kind that has all the bells and whistles; air pump, light, USB charger, inverter.  It will probably supply all the power you need for a full day of shooting, it has a deep cycle battery, holds about 20Ah of juice, and you can use it for something else besides throwing clay pigeons.

Thinking and looking into jump pack. I have Corp account with the battery store. I’ll pic their brains also. Could do 2 6v golf cart batteries and make a smart box.

I have two Atlas traps an AT-250 Wobble and an AT-200 (looks like the second picture but has the AT-250 motor in it).  Most motors are almost the same in power ratings even those smaller units.  Motor usage and ambient air temp effect battery status. My AT-250 will kill the battery if I push it hard for an extended period of time, like 3+ hours.  Give it a break to let everything cool down and the battery comes back to life.  When we go out to shoot easily rip through 3-4 cases of ammo for the day (3-4 guys).

Stick to what I posted earlier you'll be fine.  Golf cart batteries?  The weight alone to me says NO!  Get a good charger for deep cycle batteries.  Makes them last longer.  Even Sporting Clay courses change batteries two to three times a day on busy courses.

Atlas Wobble AT-250 Trap MachineAT-50

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tony357 said:

I would buy a deka deep DP27  rather than the interstate we have learned that the hard way..

Pretty sure they stock energizer bunny batteries at my place.

wtf is @Krdshrk

31 minutes ago, T Bill said:

I have two Atlas traps an AT-250 Wobble and an AT-200 (looks like the second picture but has the AT-250 motor in it).  Most motors are almost the same in power ratings even those smaller units.  Motor usage and ambient air temp effect battery status. My AT-250 will kill the battery if I push it hard for an extended period of time, like 3+ hours.  Give it a break to let everything cool down and the battery comes back to life.  When we go out to shoot easily rip through 3-4 cases of ammo for the day (3-4 guys).

Stick to what I posted earlier you'll be fine.  Golf cart batteries?  The weight alone to me says NO!  Get a good charger for deep cycle batteries.  Makes them last longer.  Even Sporting Clay courses change batteries two to three times a day on busy courses.

Atlas Wobble AT-250 Trap MachineAT-50

You da man T bill, no question 

37 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

2+ outings on it and haven't had to charge it yet..

Batteries are the happiest when they are fully charged.  Even if there's enough juice to throw two more tournaments, it's still a good idea to top off the tank after every use.  It's part of the maintenance that will extend the life of the battery.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Batteries are the happiest when they are fully charged.  Even if there's enough juice to throw two more tournaments, it's still a good idea to top off the tank after every use.  It's part of the maintenance that will extend the life of the battery.

Ya @Krdshrk! Wtf!

i think I’ll go with a 27. Have 2 31’s on me camper. Unless price between 21-24-27 is jus silly 

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Thinking and looking into jump pack. I have Corp account with the battery store. I’ll pic their brains also. Could do 2 6v golf cart batteries and make a smart box.

Don't you mean a HEAVY box

I have the do all thrower -- no wobbler -- I just use whatever 12 volt battery I have around -- I save the ones that won't put out enough amps to start a car but still hold 12 volts -- never had a problem but just the thrower really isn't much of a strain on the battery

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 5:43 PM, Heavyopp said:

Don't you mean a HEAVY box

I have the do all thrower -- no wobbler -- I just use whatever 12 volt battery I have around -- I save the ones that won't put out enough amps to start a car but still hold 12 volts -- never had a problem but just the thrower really isn't much of a strain on the battery

Prolly doing this. My wife’s car had some starting issues last cold snap. Cars a ‘14 Battery can’t be that clapped out.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:33 PM, T Bill said:

Clean the terminals with baking soda solution. Prob acid oxidation build up. Common in winter.  Don't get  it on you. Or get a can of acid neutralizer. 

Oh got battery stuff. Got the cleaner, the purple protector, die electric grease, distilled water, the meters, the chargers! Love me DC!!!