ktd1597

Heckler and Koch P7M8

I'm looking for some opinions on this gun.  My father was a NJ Trooper.  He retired back in 1988 and has since passed away back in 2013.  When the State Police switched from their .38 to the 9mm Troopers were allowed to purchase their own P7's separate from the one issued to them.  My father was by no means a gun guy, but he saw value in the gun so he bought one ($345).  He kept it in the box with all of the original paperwork right down to his purchase permit and factory shot target.  

Before he passed away he gave me the gun.  I've had it for a long time now, stored in my gun cabinet.  When he gave it to me he made me promise not to shoot it.  He said that would reduce the value of the gun.  My father was thinking "re-sale value" where I'm a shooter.  You can hang me by my fingernails and I would never sell this gun for major sentimental reasons.  It literally hurts thinking about selling it.   My father gave it to me, now it's my gun (I'm retiring from police work this year) and I will give it to my son.  I was talking to some U.S. H & K rep's and told them the story.  I asked if I should shoot it or not.  They said it's a great shooting gun and that since I'm never going to sell it I should enjoy shooting it (but to take special care of it).  My wife say's "no" I'd be going back on my word.

I'm don't know if I should shoot it or not?  My father didn't like guns and was only interested in value.  The value to me if far, far more than any money could buy.....

p.s.   I just switched to a Heckler and Koch VP9SK from my 18 years with a Kahr P9 9mm.  

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

Shoot it. Enjoy it. Every time it goes bang, think of your Dad.

Its a P7M8 not a .45 Luger. It will never be worth a million dollars.

Does it have the upside down triangle on it?

where is that located?  I'll look right now.   And yes, it's brand new in the box.

1 minute ago, JohnnyB said:

I was going to suggest buying a used one to shoot and keeping that one new. But I just saw the prices. Shoot it!

ouch!  they are expensive and my wife approved of my VP9 as my new hand gun every 15 years!  ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I just was wondering if the NJSP logo - “The Upside-Down Triangle” - was engraved on it. 

I just looked.  I didn't see anything on the outside.  I went to a website about the history of the gun and the NJSP with no mention.  I'd be surprised if the government spent an extra nickel for anything that wouldn't enhance the performance of the gun.

I did see several warnings about using the right cleaning tools so as not to damage it.  looks "fragile-lee".  That's French for fragile.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ktd1597 said:

I just looked.  I didn't see anything on the outside.  I went to a website about the history of the gun and the NJSP with no mention.  I'd be surprised if the government spent an extra nickel for anything that wouldn't enhance the performance of the gun.

I did see several warnings about using the right cleaning tools so as not to damage it.  looks "fragile-lee".  That's French for fragile.  

Old mans, shoot it with pride. Akhuana mattaada and stuff 

• Like 1

Fantastic gun especially in its condition. Shoot it or don’t. But just don’t sell it. They don’t make them like that anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a couple P7m8 pistols and p7m13.  They are great guns. Hardly ever shoot them. Not for collector purposes but rather no desire. I will take one out once in awhile to let my friends try it out since they are curious. And that offer is open to you as well. You ever come up to northern NJ you can shoot them. I supply the gun(s) and you supply the ammo and range time. 

And I also just bought an HK VP9SK last month. Love that little pistol. Like it more then I dare say my Glock 19. Or even my fancy Wilson Combat EDC 9mm. And yes I think its a better shooter then my p7 series handguns too. I know, apples to oranges but take it from someone who collects things more then I shoot most of them, the juice is not worth the squeeze when people talk about the legendary status of a lot of these firearms after a couple visits to the range. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

I have a couple P7m8 pistols and p7m13.  They are great guns. Hardly ever shoot them. Not for collector purposes but rather no desire. I will take one out once in awhile to let my friends try it out since they are curious. And that offer is open to you as well. You ever come up to northern NJ you can shoot them. I supply the gun(s) and you supply the ammo and range time. 

And I also just bought an HK VP9SK last month. Love that little pistol. Like it more then I dare say my Glock 19. Or even my fancy Wilson Combat EDC 9mm. And yes I think its a better shooter then my p7 series handguns too. I know, apples to oranges but take it from someone who collects things more then I shoot most of them, the juice is not worth the squeeze when people talk about the legendary status of a lot of these firearms after a couple visits to the range. 

It's looking like I'll have no issues missing something I've never done.  My VP is ton's of fun.  Range instructor loved it at last qualifications.  Everyone shoots Glocks, which is great, but it's never been my cup of tea since they took my Glock 17 away and gave me a 22.  

If it’s NIB unfired then don’t.  I have two and one isnsuper low round count and I don’t use that one any longer.  I have a shooter and use that one. 

I just saw one go up for sale on another site and it had been shot. Asking price $2,300. Do what ever your heart tells you to do. Shoot it and enjoy it or make it a safe Queen until you give it to your son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For whatever it may add to your consideration, I just sold my well-maintained shooter grade P7M13, for $2500.00. It wasn't for sale long. Cars are meant to be driven, and guns are meant to be shot. If you want to shoot it, shoot it...just bring other guns, gloves, or both, because that frame heats up fast. ;) 

• Like 2

I won't own a gun that I can't shoot.  Makes no sense to me.  I buy guns to shoot, not to finger bang.  It's not an old Colt SAA or 1911, or some war bring-back.  Blast away, or sell her to someone that will.

• Like 1

Ray, the amount of things that don't make sense to you is starting to become a pretty substantial pile. 1st, a NJSP issue, unfired P7M8 is a pretty rare thing. I would say it absolutely has collector value. But that is NOT the value it holds for the son that received it from his father. Only he can decide if he wants to shoot it or not. If it was to just see what its like, Id go find someone else's to shoot and keep it exactly the way it was received from his father. But from a purely collector perspective, it is worth more than most bring back 1911's but a BB1911 or an old SAA aren't going to be devalued by shooting UNLESS THEY ARE ALSO IN UNFIRED CONDITION or explode. Shooting an unfired collector piece WILL reduce its collector value. As fas as understanding, you mean to tell me you cant understand keeping a firearm passed down to you from a family member as an heirloom? So if your father passed down to you some ancient bring back weapon that he took off a soldier he vanquished while fighting in the pacific during WW2 and won a CMH for but there is no ammo available for it, well then its got to go because YOU wont keep something you cant shoot?

@Shane45, spare me the nonsense.  If (when) my father kicks the bucket and I get his toys he would want me to use them and shoot them. Whats the point of owning something if you never use it?  That's like buying a Lamborghini and staring at her in the driveway.   

It's a FUCKING H&K gun, shoot the damn thing. It's what your dad would want.   He shot it, now you shoot it.  Then, let your kids shoot it.  I'm not saying to abuse it or even carry it but 50 rounds of memories every few months is not going to do any harm.

OR

Sell the prized family possession like lots of people do and use the money for __________.

9 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Clearly you lack reading comprehension. Let me help you with that:

"When he gave it to me he made me promise not to shoot it. "

So it would appear your 100% wrong on what the dad wanted.

Don't duck the question, answer the scenario I gave you!

I missed the part where he said that.  Although I don't get it.  It's going to get shot, eventually.  It's inevitable.  

Your question, as far fetched and ridiculous as it is, is simple.  At that point the firearm in question is no longer a firearm but a piece of American history.