BlueLineFish

New pc carbine

Just now, mossburger said:

For people in places like CA or NY or god forbid maybe even here, where you essentially cannot have a pistol grip. Those monster man grips are stupid, I've tried them out of curiosity and at that point would rather just have a regular stock.

There are other guns.  Mini 14, Ares SCR, Saiga 7.62 etc.

56 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

If anything, make a bunch of common magwell adaptors for all the big name pistol companies.  Not just Glock.

I think the reason they picked Glock is because they have the biggest chunk of the police market.

I think the reason they picked Glock is because they have the biggest chunk of the police market.

Probably a part of it...

With 9mm carbines, a few use different pistol magazines. Beretta and KelTec are the bigger ones and you have a few different options/calibers. But you also have the MP5, Scorpion, and MPX magazines. None of those really got to a standard pistol carbine status beyond two; Colt AR and Glock magazines. High capacity (33 round Glock magazines, but even 17 rounders are decent), somewhat affordable, and pretty reliable. The other three, either are too new or too expensive.

With Glock being such a big seller, and most people always asking if a carbine takes Glock magazines, they listened to the market. Ruger definitely does put their ear to the pavement to see what is desired... as what occurred with the SR1911 (Series 70 was very odd for Ruger) and Precision Rifle (an affordable, entry long range rifle). They tried with the Red Label, but utterly failed. I like to see the moving away from the Bill Ruger sales formula.

I think Ruger could jump into shotguns with a decent design... but don’t think too many would move away from proven designs. Would have to be a real “game changer.” [emoji41]

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

I think Ruger could jump into shotguns with a decent design... but don’t think too many would move away from proven designs. Would have to be a real “game changer.” 

That would either be huge or a major failure.  It's kind of hard to get into this market for a number of reasons.

1.  Remington and Mossberg have the market cornered.

2.  Guys buy many handguns, a few semi auto rifles but USUALLY only one scattergun.  And that scattergun is either an 870 or 500/590/590A1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

A shrinking market, but yes. Civilian market, nope.  The other wonder 9s have all caught up and they are all pretty much the same.

P320 magwell, M&P magwell, 92/M9 magwell, and so on and so forth.  I'm not saying the gun should be made in those magwells, but maybe a webstore order of whatever your flavor is.

34 minutes ago, Matroskin said:

I want to believe that once the rifle goes mainstream there will be vendors that can create a magwells for all the popular platforms.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think the quick change magwell swap system on the PC is genius in its simplicity. I also think it would be foolish for Ruger to stop with just 2 adapters. I would buy a magwell for each of my 9mm handguns if offered. Heck, I would buy magwells for handguns I don't own if priced reasonably.

As long as Glock refuses to make the 9mm carbine that tens of thousands of customers have sworn they would buy, other companies like Kel-Tec and Ruger will fill the void and profit.

Ruger is listening to customers more than any other company I can think of and making some really innovative products.

5 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Wouldn't it be a Mini-14 at that point?

Ruger-First-Gen-Mini-660x264.jpg

Ruger tried to pump up the Mini 14 to 7.62 NATO back in the 70s.  It didn't work and never hit the market.

A 9mm carbine can't be pumped up to 5.56 or 7.62x39 without drastically changing the design.

If you want a 5.56 or 7.62x39 get a Mini 14 or Mini 30.

Ah, but how many have more than one look alike?  True competitors have more than one.  

Give the modularity of the magwell I would bet additional inserts are on the drawing board.  Or I'll crank them out on the 3D printer.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

You can never have too many scatterguns! Come to think of it, you can never have too many guns, PERIOD!:)

Tell Leprechaun Phil that in a few weeks.  

I have the obligatory 870, another pump, an O/U and a S/S. I don't have a  semi auto yet so that is on my short list...Don't tell my wife![emoji4]

Got to get a S/S... probably a Cimmarron 1878. I want the exposed hammers.

Do have a 11-87 Police on the list (because two hunting 11-87s aren’t enough), but have a Remington factory folding stock on the way that I likely have to buy an 870 for. Maybe the next Oaks show.

But to be fair, one of my ten is a TAC-14... but I consider it a shotgun since it shoots that ammo. Not a fan of calling it a firearm, being it is classified as one. Can call it a boom stick, doesn’t mean it magically changed.

For the wife point, my fiancé actually told me that she couldn’t tell I bought a new one since the safes are full. Would have to be stupid and leave a dated receipt around. Played it off like I never though that, or used it already. “Yea, had this for years...” [emoji6]
  • Like 1

I would consider this new Ruger if I did not already own my JR Carbine in 9mm Glock. My JRC is a keeper. Takes all my Glock 9mm mags from G26 up to G34. 

At some point I would like to rent and shoot this Ruger and compare it’s recoil impulse to that of my JRC. Even though it is just a 9mm, I find my JRC’s recoil somewhat bothersome to my arthritic hands.