lilred121986

Looking for sight thats good with astigmatism. which i beleive i have.

Hello Gun lovers! I have 2 red dots one is a strike fire II and the circle is like a star when i look threw it but friends see circle/dot. So i think i have a astigmatism And i am wondering is there another type of red dot green dot that works with astigmatism's? Trying to find a good one but not spend hundreds on scopes. thanks y'all!

I have a Vortex Spitfire prism Scope that seems to help a lot. The etched reticle is great as you even need the red dot on in if the light is right, Unfortunately they are a little expensive but worth it in my case. A cheaper alternative are cross hair scopes. Low power variable make it good for close up work or if you want/need to reach out and touch someone. 

You need to see an eye doctor to determine what type you have, to what degree and how to correct it, possibly glasses or contacts.  Astigmatism is an imperfection in the cornea, get it checked out and corrected

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

I have astigmatism.  I'm not familiar with problems it causes with scopes - other than just plain old poor eyesight.  Can somebody fill me in?

Red Dots turn into oblong shaped blotches instead of a crisp dot.  Depends on how badly you have astigmatism.  Mine is corrected via glasses so I don't see a big difference.

Red dots created with LED technology - like on Aimpoints and Trijicon RMR and MRO can appear to be smeared or blurred across your field of view. What is supposed to be a crisp round dot may have an “aura” or a tail like a comet, or be shaped like a crescent. The problem is with the eye, not the optic.

The new Aimpoint T2 optics have a lower occurrence of this happening than the older T1 optics.

Now, an RDS that use lasers - like Eotech have less of an issue with the dot appearing to be being mis-shaped. But if you choose an EO you have to accept the shortcomings that go along with it - namely a poorly designed battery box (that causes the batteries to rupture in the optic), an auto shutoff feature, poor battery life, and reliability issues - not to mention the whole lying to consumers issue.

• Like 2

Astigmatism here. I have issues with the 2 MOA Aimpoint looking like a comet tailed dot. Vortex prism sights work, but your eye has to be about 4 inches off of it, or it starts to fisheye. I haven't tried an EOTech since I got glasses, but prior to the reticle wasn't sharp.

I recently used a 6 MOA C-More sight with excellent success outdoors with the brightness set to approximately 7 of 9 on the dial. 

https://cmore.com/Category/railway

I still need to try a smaller dot, and I think my prescription still needs some tweaking, therefore your mileage may vary.

I'm so afraid they're going to do corrections and make it worse. 

Laser Eye in Paramus told me I was not eligible and sent me away. They did all the testing and no charge. I gave them big credit for not lying. Pretty good outfit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

I'm going in for cataract surgery and new lens on the 8t for my right eye. Left one 2 weeks later. Dr. says it'll take care of the Astigmatism. I'll let ya know if it helps.

(for what it's gonna cost me it better!) lol

I was talking to eye dr's about potentially doing LASIK/PRK - if my cornea doesn't have enough material, they say they can do a corneal implants.

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I was talking to eye dr's about potentially doing LASIK/PRK - if my cornea doesn't have enough material, they say they can do a corneal implants.

My wife looked into LASIK and found out she was not an eligible canddate due to her eyes. However she was a canddate for PRK, she got it done and despite being told it was going to be painful a day or two after it was not.

Hands down the best money we ever spent  

Corneal implants are only done to correct corneal inury/damage.  If you are a borderline candidate for lasik the eye surgeon should not offer the procedure nor should you even consider it as you are at increased risk for corneal damage--by the way corneal transplants do not always work.

I have an astigmatism which makes red dots kind of oblong and blurry. Best I have found so far is the Ultradot that I use on my bullseye pistol.

http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradotdist2010_004.htm

It’s still a little oddly shaped and if my eyes are tired it gets worse but if I am not tired, it’s good. Way better then cheaper ones I have tried. 

I don’t think they have green though, just red dots...

-Jim

My wife looked into LASIK and found out she was not an eligible canddate due to her eyes. However she was a canddate for PRK, she got it done and despite being told it was going to be painful a day or two after it was not.
Hands down the best money we ever spent  

I had the PRK, it was a tough/blurry week following surgery.
My astigmatism was also fixed.
Reading glasses were needed immediately for a 46yrs old. Eye surgery forces you into reading glasses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Jerseyrifle said:

I had the PRK, it was a tough/blurry week following surgery.
My astigmatism was also fixed.
Reading glasses were needed immediately for a 46yrs old. Eye surgery forces you into reading glasses.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My wife had the surgery in her mid 20s so she does not need reading glasses yet. The Dr said she will when she is older but she is good for now. Only issue she had with the surgery is she had halos from lights at night but that pretty much went away after about 1.5 years. 

6 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Jerseyrifle, I think, based on the Dr's comments that I would be in the same boat as you, that I would need reading glasses. Was it a worthy pursuit? Did it cause you any new issues for shooting?

Regards,

Shane

Just do it! The surgery improved my wife's shooting, she had a hard time focusing on the front sight before the surgery, no issues now. 

Let alone the fact that she can now tell what time it is at night without putting her glasses on, her peripheral vision was greatly improved as well. No more fogging when going from cold to hot. No more crappy "prescription" snorkeling goggles and she can see while swimming. The list goes on and on.

I honestly don't know why anyone that wears glasses and lives a semi active lifestyle dosent get the surgery. I know its pricey but we were able to get a no intrest payment plan through the Dr office. 

The only 100% solution to the eye dominance issue is to either teach yourself to shoot your long guns with your support hand (this seems to be the go-to solution for the pros), or teach yourself to be right eye dominant.

However, with a RDS, a lot of eyes dominance issues go away/can be trained away since you are supposed to shoot an RDS with both eyes open.

2 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

The only 100% solution to the eye dominance issue is to either teach yourself to shoot with your long guns lefty, or teach yourself to be right eye dominant.

However, with a RDS, a lot of eyes dominance issues go away/can be trained away since you are supposed to shoot an RDS with both eyes open.

The sources I've read all say you can't train your non-dominant eye to be dominant, so the only solution is to teach yourself to shoot long guns from the other shoulder if you want to shoot with both eyes open.   This can work pretty well with younger shooters.

I'm cross eye dominant, and just finished my 4th year of trying to shoot trap left handed with both eyes open (I'm a righty).   I never got my scores up to where they used to be, shooting right handed, with my  left eye closed.   Apparently, I'm no longer a younger shooter...    So for 2018 I'm switching back to shooting right handed and closing my left eye; not ideal, but my grand experiment in switching handedness failed.

On the other hand, if I ever find an event that calls for 25 birds left handed and 25 birds right handed, I should be hard to beat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 10X said:

The sources I've read all say you can't train your non-dominant eye to be dominant

Both eyes open when using RDS.

Close your dominant eye when using irons, zeroing a RDS or you need to be more precise with RDS.

Your non-dominant eye is now the most dominant. ;) 

For my entire life I never bothered to check if I have cross dominance.
When shooting trap with both eyes open I got terrible results, so naturally I closed my left eye. Pistol and rifle, I closed it anyway. Recently, I try to shoot with both eyes open and realized that my left eye is dominant, for the heck of me I couldn't teach myself to ignore second sight picture, but then if I use my left eye as dominant (no pun intended) it became much easier and although not yet natural I get better results in pistol shooting. When it's warmer I'll try trap with left eyed and left handed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk