Mossy500

Getting a shotgun as a gift from cousin in VA

4 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

According to the OP in a pm to me earlier......

....Pretty far from my neck of the woods, so I'm fortunate not to have crossed paths with him in the past.

Anyone here have any experience with this ill-informed thief?

Not cool to post pm's, dude, unless the sender said it was ok.

I guess I'm not one of the cool kids, then.

But this mis-informed thief needed to be outed.

If the OP (who I do not know) did not want the FFL's identity to be known, he should not have revealed it.

Forcing a customer to throw a perfectly legal (and not inexpensive) part in the dumpster prior to completing a transfer is unforgivable. You don't like what the customer wants to transfer? Then refuse the transfer. It's his right as a business owner. But you don't rip off a customer and expect to get away with it. Not in this day and age of the internet and forums like this one.

Just MHO for what it's worth.

• Like 5

Not cool to post pm's, dude, unless the sender said it was ok.

That is how I felt... I mean I don’t see a problem, but why jam the OP up like that if he doesn’t have anyone else out there? I wasn’t a part of the transfer, and while I’m shocked a NJ FFL doesn’t have knowledge about stuff like that (Paul from NJ Arms has adjustable stock pumps, and shakes his head on why those are legal, but on a semi-auto, it isn’t), it isn’t my place to put that info out there. PM stands for PRIVATE message.

• Like 1

Hey everyone. I'm thankful for everybody's help here, even to the FFL who had done my transfer (even after me losing the adjustable stock). Didn't want to ruin anybody's business as there's also a possibility that he did not know..that's primarily the reason I just PM'd those who had asked in the thread. I would gladly help the next person who will most likely have the same issue/questions around our area. As it is, we only have 2 FFLs nearby - being new to firearms and firearm community in general, I would not like to be banned/be an outcast from stores/FFLs most accessible to me.

Could it be partly my fault since I should have pressed that pump-action shottys can have adjustable stock in them? Makes one think...

Now if an admin can either nuke this thread(or perhaps delete that reference to the FFL), that would be great (IMO).

6 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

If the OP (who I do not know) did not want the FFL's identity to be known, he should not have revealed it.

He revealed it to YOU and anybody that ASKED in PRIVATE. The information was the op's to share not yours. See the difference?

6 minutes ago, WP22 said:

He revealed it to YOU and anybody that ASKED in PRIVATE. The information was the op's to share not yours. See the difference?

The post that named the FFL has been edited. He is now free to make more mistakes and screw more gun owners!

• Like 1

The post that named the FFL has been edited. He is now free to make more mistakes and screw more gun owners!
Don't get me wrong I think OP should out the FFL after he is reimbursed for his stock, but OP needs to do it not someone else.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just now, capt14k said:

Don't get me wrong I think OP should out the FFL after he is reimbursed for his stock, but OP needs to do it not someone else.

Do you really think the FFL will reach into his own pocket and pay for that stock? I don't.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Do you really think the FFL will reach into his own pocket and pay for that stock? I don't.

Hi everyone

I'll reach out to the FFL tomorrow as they were closed today (heavy snow). I'll update this thread what happens. How he responds will probably give us an idea if he really didn't know it's legal or what..

7 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

26 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I'll do my very best to impart with the FFL the wisdom I have gained from this thread. ;)

Really would like to think that he just thought the adjustable stock was illegal across all firearms in NJ..

44 minutes ago, nexnfx said:

I'll do my very best to impart with the FFL the wisdom I have gained from this thread. ;)

Really would like to think that he just thought the adjustable stock was illegal across all firearms in NJ..

This is his business.......he is holding himself out as being knowledgeable in the field.  Adjustable stocks on a pump shotgun isn't a fine technical point...this is like going to a gas station and the attendant fills your run-of-the-mill Chevy with diesel...

22 hours ago, capt14k said:

Please out this moron that made you throw away a perfectly fine adjustable stock. Just another reason we shouldn't have FFL's in leadership positions of 2A Groups.

NOW YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION!  FWIW I'M NOT A FFL!

Are there FFL's in leadership positions of 2A groups?  Or are you just speculating and/or inferring?  Because your statement can be easily misinterpreted......to lump us all together.  Please respond & thanks in advance!

Rosey

NOW YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION!  FWIW I'M NOT A FFL! Are there FFL's in leadership positions of 2A groups?  Or are you just speculating and/or inferring?  Because your statement can be easily misinterpreted......to lump us all together.  Please respond & thanks in advance!

Rosey

I was referring to the guy who is against CCW and has held many leadership positions in both NRA and ANJRPC and then the guy who is the head of the Association of NJ Gun Dealers (an organization of 1) or whatever the hell he calls it. He is against FTF transactions without a FFL and in interviews with the press regarding people shooting themselves at ranges he said there shouldn't be rentals. Too many FFL's are really Antis and don't want a change to NJ Firearms Laws, except they are looking forward to 10 rounds because of all the re-blocking and new mags they can sell. Not a chance I will be buying any. 

2 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I was referring to the guy who is against CCW and has held many leadership positions in both NRA and ANJRPC and then the guy who is the head of the Association of NJ Gun Dealers (an organization of 1) or whatever the hell he calls it. He is against FTF transactions without a FFL and in interviews with the press regarding people shooting themselves at ranges he said there shouldn't be rentals. Too many FFL's are really Antis and don't want a change to NJ Firearms Laws except many of them are looking forward to 10 rounds because they are looking forward to all the re-blocking and new mags they can sell. Not a chance I will be buying any.

OK, got it.  Scott Bach, the Executive Director of ANJR&PC, to my knowledge, isn't against CCW.  Quite the contrary, as he initiated the legal battle to sue the state of New Hampshire for not issuing non-resident CCW permits to NJ residents, thus allowing them to carry in Free Amerikka (PA)!  If you're referring to Robert Viden of Bob's Little Sport Shop (and I think he's the one you're referring to), yes indeed Bob is of the opinion that CCW isn't warranted in NJ.  Fear NOT, as Bob isn't steering the ship.  The man has done quite a lot for NJ gun owners, so I won't disrespect him here on this forum.  

The guy who is the "head" of NJ Gun Dealers is a loose cannon!  That schmuck threw every gun range that rents guns UNDER THE BUS with his last interview to the media!  He ostracized himself in so doing, and I'm not aware of any other range OR FFL that's a member of his esteemed organization.

Thanks for responding.  Now the Newbies that read these threads & post here are properly informed :) 

Rosey

VP, CNJFO

http://www.cnjfo.com 

• Like 1

Yes Bob is who I was referring to. When I said leadership I didn't necessarily mean head. Though I do have issues with Bach and the amount of money he is making especially with the double dipping of getting a salary and then hiring his firm.

He is definitely the head of an organization of one.

Yet another update to this saga:

Spoke with the FFL and will have their guys search the dumpster for the adjustable stock. According to the FFL there has been no pick up of the dumpster since I was last there due to the snow condition so he's certain the stock will be found by his staff.He apologized as well.

Before I called him up, I checked with a local Mossberg dealer regarding the issue and they have also confirmed the same - although the guy did just say "adjustable stocks are OK for shotguns, not for any other rifle". Probably missed the illegality of collapsible stocks for semi-auto shotguns(needed additional back up source in case he won't believe me and this thread's valuable inputs).

Thanks again everyone.

Per the NJ Administrative Code  N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2 :

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher

So, if a semi-auto rifle either does not accept a detachable magazine OR does not have ANY of the other above-mentioned 'evil features' then an adjustable stock DOES NOT MAKE IT A NJ ASSAULT WEAPON.

Please read and familiarize yourself with the current NJ Assault Weapon laws, as your freedom and fortune depend on it. The links to the appropriate sections can be found on the State Police website here.

5 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

Per the NJ Administrative Code  N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2 :

A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be "substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it meets the below listed criteria:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher

So, if a semi-auto rifle either does not accept a detachable magazine OR does not have ANY of the other above-mentioned 'evil features' then an adjustable stock DOES NOT MAKE IT A NJ ASSAULT WEAPON.

Please read and familiarize yourself with the current NJ Assault Weapon laws, as your freedom and fortune depend on it. The links to the appropriate sections can be found on the State Police website here.

Thanks @njJoniGuy, appreciate it.

1 hour ago, nexnfx said:

Spoke with the FFL and will have their guys search the dumpster for the adjustable stock. According to the FFL there has been no pick up of the dumpster since I was last there due to the snow condition so he's certain the stock will be found by his staff.He apologized as well.

Before I called him up, I checked with a local Mossberg dealer regarding the issue and they have also confirmed the same - although the guy did just say "adjustable stocks are OK for shotguns, not for any other rifle". Probably missed the illegality of collapsible stocks for semi-auto shotguns(needed additional back up source in case he won't believe me and this thread's valuable inputs).

Thanks again everyone.

Did you also give him a rag to clean the egg from his face?

Well that's good news, this is a weird story though. Throwing an "assault part" into a publically accessible dumpster does not sound like proper disposal. You could have just went back an hour later and taken it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Purple Patrick said:

Well that's good news, this is a weird story though. Throwing an "assault part" into a publically accessible dumpster does not sound like proper disposal. You could have just went back an hour later and taken it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ain’t you smert

Was it the owner that did the transaction or an employee? I’m guessing you spoke to the owner...

I’m glad to hear that he is trying to do what is right. Definitely keep us in the loop. Employees can make mistakes, and I’ve had people from a local range that tried to conduct a sale incorrectly (I feel he did it to pocket the extra money, but I didn’t give him an option, as there was a specific amount of money due to them).

13 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Was it the owner that did the transaction or an employee? I’m guessing you spoke to the owner...

I’m glad to hear that he is trying to do what is right. Definitely keep us in the loop. Employees can make mistakes, and I’ve had people from a local range that tried to conduct a sale incorrectly (I feel he did it to pocket the extra money, but I didn’t give him an option, as there was a specific amount of money due to them).

From what I hear, he is the owner of the range/store.

I believe he is. I did try to be as courteous to him earlier when I told him that the stock was legal for my pump shotgun and he was receptive enough of my explanation.

4 hours ago, W2MC said:

Did you also give him a rag to clean the egg from his face?

Tempted..but no rag within reach at the time. ;)

17 hours ago, nexnfx said:

Thanks again everyone.

Dumpster diving in zero degrees?  Wouldn't you love to work for this guy?