Sign in to follow this  
gleninjersey

Nespresso Coffee Machine

Wife wanted a Nespresso coffee machine for Christmas.  She loves coffee.  Her sister who we visited in Paris last summer had an older one.  My wife likes it and the coffee it made.

This one (a newer model) she hasn't liked any of the coffee pods it came with.  Anyone else have one of these? Have you tried other makers coffee pods and liked them? She is thinking about returning it.

I've never been a fan of machines like Kerig and Nespresso; however, the only Nespresso pod that I can tolerate is the Espresso version. I'm not a coffee snob but I've just never felt like the stuff that comes out of the machine has the same flavor as "real" brewed coffee.

Just my two cents, but I'd return the machine and pick up a Chemex, some filters, and a decent burr grinder. It only takes 4 minutes to make a full pot and is not as labor intensive as you might think. I tend to use medium to medium dark roast beans and it comes out perfect for me to drink without any milk or sugar.

If I want to make a single cup, I just use a V60 pour over dripper (https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Ceramic-Coffee-Dripper-White/dp/B000P4D5HG/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1514895216&sr=1-3&keywords=v60)

Here are the tools that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Chemex-8-Cup-Classic-Glass-Coffeemaker/dp/B000I1WP7W/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1514894830&sr=1-2&keywords=chemex

https://www.amazon.com/Chemex-FS-100-Filters-100-Chemex-Squares/dp/B000N4W2SG/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1514894830&sr=1-4&keywords=chemex

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic/dp/B00018RRRK/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1514894917&sr=1-5&keywords=burr+grinder

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-Buono-Pouring-Kettle-1-2L/dp/B000IGOXLS/ref=sr_1_14?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1514894830&sr=1-14&keywords=chemex

• Like 2

Thanks Medved.  I prefer the pot coffee makers myself as well.  Will check out your suggestions.
I'm simple.  "Chock Full Of Nuts" or "8 O'Clock" coffee is fine with me. 

You’re welcome - using a chemex is pretty simple. You put a filter in the pot and rinse the filter with hot water to prevent that paper taste. After that, you put your coffee grinds in the filter, wet the grinds and let them “bloom” for about 45 seconds, then fill the filter just about to the top, let that water drain through the filter, and then fill it back up one more time and your done. It takes about 4-5 mins from start to finish and cleanup is super easy as well, just toss the filter and rinse out the chemex.

I’m pretty simple when it comes to the coffee that I buy with the exception that I tend to buy organic beans since I sometimes wonder about what gets sprayed on plants outside of the U.S.

Wegmans has a decent selection of organic coffee that doesn’t cost a lot of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Wife wanted a Nespresso coffee machine for Christmas.  She loves coffee.  Her sister who we visited in Paris last summer had an older one.  My wife likes it and the coffee it made.

This one (a newer model) she hasn't liked any of the coffee pods it came with.  Anyone else have one of these? Have you tried other makers coffee pods and liked them? She is thinking about returning it.

Not sure which pods you use (original or vertuo) but there are tons of flavors you can purchase online:

https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/capsules/vertuo/vertuo-variations-confetto-banana-coffee-capsule

• Like 1

Nespresso? Does it come with a skirt?

Go to a garage sale and get a cruddy, rusty percolator from the 1970s and put some hair on your chest.

Mine is even worse. It's the one Federov is a spokesman for made in Switzerland. Got it to drink my Caramel Macchiato, Vanilla Flat White, and White Chocolate Lattes. Too hard to make them in a manual pot. I feel I have earned the right to drink girly drinks. I do at least get triple espresso though I like Ristretto more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Some serious snowflake drinks in here. How about fresh ground brewed coffee or fresh ground espresso. Foofy unicorn cappuccino snow white macchiatos are for Sanders supporters and those that don't know what to identify as
Those Unicorn Frappes are cold. I only drink hot espresso drinks, and I am plenty man enough to admit to it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Handyman said:

Nespresso? Does it come with a skirt?

Go to a garage sale and get a cruddy, rusty percolator from the 1970s and put some hair on your chest.

c9cc24ae380a6c32ce9574139623c4ab--lol-fu

May want to get a prescription for some reading glasses or better glasses.  Maybe some ADD meds?  I clearly stated it was a gift for the wife in the very first sentence.  She looks very nice in skirts and without any hair on her chest.

I also explained I like "regular" coffee (Chuck Full Of Nuts, Eight O'Clock Coffee, etc). Sometimes I flavor it with a wee bit of Jack Daniels.  I hope that's masculine enough for ya.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

I also explained I like "regular" coffee (Chuck Full Of Nuts, Eight O'Clock Coffee, etc). Sometimes I flavor it with a wee bit of Jack Daniels.  I hope that's masculine enough for ya.  :)

Only if you eat bacon while you are drinking it.

We just picked up a Breville Barista 870 a few month back. Doesn’t make standard coffe but great espresso and lattes. Nothing like fresh ground beans.
Good choice in the Breville. I was going to get the same model, but then decided I knew nothing about making the drinks I like so I would probably be better off with a Super Automatic Machine.

20 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Good choice in the Breville. I was going to get the same model, but then decided I knew nothing about making the drinks I like so I would probably be better off with a Super Automatic Machine.

Lol I hear you. I’m a double espresso guy, never thought I’d drink something called a latte. But it’s so easy even a caveman can do it. 

While I prefer to use a french press for my own coffee, we have a Senseo which does a decent cup. My wife prefers it since she doesn't like the stronger coffee I brew. Lots of pod choices on amazon and the Melitta Colombian or dark roast  work for me. It's also nice to have a selection of flavors available for guests, including decaf.

+1 on the Senseo. I got my first Senseo when they were giving them away for free. I have payed dearly to replace it a couple times since then though as they were discontinued years ago.  I tried the Keurig K-Cups and found them very weak and watery. I do use 2 pods per cup with the Senseo since I like a stronger coffee.

We drink espresso every day in my house made the old fashioned way on the stove with a Giannina pot I bought in Naples Italy while visiting my wife's family.

What kind of stupid store is Rook Coffee. Having a bad morning. Battery was dead from cold. Got jump pack out of car and left keys in ignition. Doors locked. Spare set at my office. Found one wire hanger in the whole house. Popped automatic lock button. Only enough juice to open drivers door. Go to get my Triple latte. Road closed. Go to Rook and they only sell plain coffee. What kind of coffee place is that? No flavors, no latte.

I have friends that rave about Rook coffee.
Ive had it twice , when Starbucks , DD and wawa was not available, and it was awful. 
Even if their coffee was good who the hell wants to pay $3.50 for a regular coffee that is $2 or less everywhere else.

What I really wish is Coffee Beanery and Tea Leaf started expanding into Central NJ.