Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

PSA - The Dog Whisperer

Sometimes we let the dental hygiene of our fur kids be less than it should be. Teeth cleaning for dogs is usually done under general anesthetic, which is expensive and risky, especially for older dogs, who probably need the cleaning more than their younger counterparts. We last had Maggie's (our GSP) done seven years ago. She was having surgery for removal of some polyps on her eyelids, so we figured since she had to be under anyway that it was a good time to have it done.

Fortunately, another opportunity, as above, has not presented itself - but no need for any surgery also meant that her teeth went unattended. Maggie is now 10 1/2 years old so I was torn between having an older dog anesthetized for a teeth cleaning or just letting it go.

125l3x0.jpg

Maggie and I often spend nice (read that: temperate) afternoons at our local Starbucks - her favorite place to go - no really. We were sitting there one day last summer, when a patron, dressed in scrubs, stopped to give Maggie some love. We got to talking and it turns out that she was a dental hygienist, but had given up her human clientele for the four footed variety. She does this without using anesthesia. She uses relaxation techniques with the dog literally in her lap. Frankly I had my doubts but decided that when it was time for Maggie's annual check-up to give this a try.

Today was that day. It only took about an hour and a half and Maggie was still giving an abundance of kisses at the end of the procedure. The hygienist said that Maggie was nervous at first, but after one false start, settled down and was fine for the balance of the procedure. This included scaling under the gum line, to remove impacted hair (short-haired dog with dry skin, licks her forelegs quite a bit). This woman travels to various vets and animal hospitals, mostly in eastern PA. Our regular vet, where this took place, is the Washington Crossing Animal Hospital, and she travels there on Wednesdays. When we had her teeth cleaned in 2010, breaking the cost out from the surgery, it was a little over $400. The procedure today was just a tad under $200 and Maggie is right back to her normal self.

I'd suggest you check with your vet to see if they offer this service (I doubt it) or maybe call the Washington Crossing facility. They may also be able to put you in touch with the hygienist so you could see if her schedule takes her closer to you, or perhaps your vet participates.

Now that I know how successful this was, and how well Maggie tolerates it, the next time will not be 7 years hence. I thought that those dog-lovers among us would like to know this information.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

Ok so I'm defiantly in need of this service for my male dachshund Luger. To say his breath is horrible is an understatement and he insists on licking my face all the time. 

Typical to dachshunds when he is scared and can't run he resorts to biting and will not allow his teeth to be cleaned or brushed without being put out. Like yourself I've been hesitant to have his teeth cleaned because I don't want to put him under anesthesia just for that simple procedure. Can you either post up or PM me her contact information. My vet does not offer this service but I'm close enough to Washington's Crossing and would have no problem making the drive. 

Great looking all liver GSP. That's not a dog from Bob at Shore shot Kennels is it?

Normally I'm pretty skeptical to this kind of stuff, however this sounds like a winner.  I'll be looking into this for sure once we recover from my older pooch's ACL surgery.  Just happened and wasn't cheap.

Bob,

Glad everything worked out with Maggie, she's a sweet girl. I started brushing Jake's (my lab) teeth with bacon flavored toothpaste when he was young so he kinda liked it. Been almost 6 years since he had to be put down,  we still miss him.

38 minutes ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

I would like to see the before and after pictures.

Maggie is not that vain, but there was a noticeable, visible difference, and more important was what you couldn't see - the impacted hair under the gum line. Definitely worth the cost.

Adios,

Pizza Bob