Bt Doctur

current regs on firearms and ammo

Using a pickup  with bed cover

Pistol and pistol ammunition, mags empty,

Rifles and ammunition

Shotguns and ammunition

small game hunting I just throw a vest with shells and shotgun in the bed

Cased/boxed firearm  in cab or bed, ammunition is ?

having spent 2 hours looking around have not found any statutes covering loaded mags except verbally  they cannot be with the firearm in the same case. Have not found anything regarding a loaded mag being called a loaded firearm.

If that is the case then carrying a mag in your coat pocket is carrying a unloaded ,  unregistered, un-serialized , weapon concealed? Only in New Jersey I guess.

What? This is news to me! Where did you read this?

Nowhere in the law does it state magazines can not be loaded. That is some BS overreach that Nappen came up with to make himself look like he knows more than he does and sell more books and tickets. I challenge anyone to show me where the law states loaded magazine 15 rounds or less with ammo other than hollow point or banned ammo types in a lockbox separate from the firearm is not allowed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Nowhere in the law does it state magazines can not be loaded. That is some BS overreach that Nappen came up with to make himself look like he knows more than he does and sell more books and tickets. I challenge anyone to show me where the law states loaded magazine 15 rounds or less with ammo other than hollow point or banned ammo types in a lockbox separate from the firearm is not allowed.

i didn't know where it came from.....but when i was being told that my enbloc clips could be loaded, but my magazines couldn't(during transportation) i started looking. i speant a rather unhealthy amount of time reading the statutes. what i gleaned from that time was 1) first and formost, ALL of nj's firearms laws/regulations/statutes are ILLEGAL. 2) they do not tell us what we CAN do, but rather they tell us what we CANNOT do(or possess when/where). there is not a single thing saying that we cannot load our mags before heading out to the range.

• Like 3

I think the loaded magazine thing came from an out of state case (CA?) where a guy was arrested for that.  Can't remember the details but he got off that bs charge.

If you're transporting your firearm to a location you're "permitted" to have hollow points there is no reason your magazines can't be loaded with them.

• Like 2

I think the loaded magazine thing came from an out of state case (CA?) where a guy was arrested for that.  Can't remember the details but he got off that bs charge.

If you're transporting your firearm to a location you're "permitted" to have hollow points there is no reason your magazines can't be loaded with them.

The hollow points I originally thought the same way about, but being hollow points are treated like a handgun in NJ I don't know if I would want to test those waters. You may very well be correct. I only really shoot hollow points in 4 firearms and one is a revolver. So they don't bother me as much to load at the range.

Edit: The more I think about it@Griz is correct. There really is no reason not to load mags with hollow points either if going to the range or any other permitted location.

I believe that Ohio also had a case where a loaded mag was considered a firearm. Much easier to just lock up the firearm separately from the locked ammo and not become a test case. I put two pistol rugs in a backpack (one for the pistol and the second for a box of ammo), put a small luggage lock on both rugs, and put the backpack in the trunk. Patiently waiting for incoming .....

I believe that Ohio also had a case where a loaded mag was considered a firearm. Much easier to just lock up the firearm separately from the locked ammo and not become a test case. I put two pistol rugs in a backpack (one for the pistol and the second for a box of ammo), put a small luggage lock on both rugs, and put the backpack in the trunk. Patiently waiting for incoming .....

You are being over cautious. If I am bringing a AR to the range or my French MAS Semi Autos I have multiple mags for each. I find it a PIA to load each one when I get there. It's bad enough to have to reload them. Rifle is in a case and mags are loaded in lockbox. Same goes for handguns.

If there was these other cases please provide a link to them. As Griz said the guy got off. Being arrested for a fictitious crime is pretty good grounds for a false arrest suit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, capt14k said:

As Griz said the guy got off. Being arrested for a fictitious crime is pretty good grounds for a false arrest suit.

But it still makes for a pretty lousy day even if you win down the road.

btw: I agree I am overly cautious and it is a pain. When I go to a pistol match I have to load 6 mags at the start and unload them at the end.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Danno said:

Ammo and loaded mags in the bed, firearms in the back seat of the cab, off I go. Oh yeah, I take the giant "I'M CARRYING GUNS AND AMMO IN MY TRUCK!!" sign off the side before I leave.

Nothing screams gun. Same logic as nothing should scream laptop or fancy electronics. Or Christmas presents, etc

• Like 1

Just as some others above had said.  Keep the firearm locked away from the ammo if you keep them side by side in the trunk. Don't keep them together in your gun case !! .  Yes, You can keep your mags loaded, you can put hollow points in them, you can transport them to the range loaded, you can even have tracer inciderary rounds in your magazines (just can't shoot that ammo in nj). 

Just as some others above had said.  Keep the firearm locked away from the ammo if you keep them side by side in the trunk. Don't keep them together in your gun case !! .  Yes, You can keep your mags loaded, you can put hollow points in them, you can transport them to the range loaded, you can even have tracer inciderary rounds in your magazines (just can't shoot that ammo in nj). 
That is good to know they are legal to possess. Now if I can just convince sellers to ship them. I've tried buying .30-06 tracer and incendiary rounds more than once and seller wouldn't ship. I just started to assume it was illegal period.

Just now, capt14k said:

I would think so.

Um.. Hell yeah that is the most logical reason..  Have you ever seen what one can actually do? Can you imagine some idiot in the Pinelands shooting that off in the dry season ?!?!  

8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

hhmm...wonder why knob creek hasn't burned down yet.

Good one.. I know it is in it's own berm area.. but surrounded by trees.. wonder if there are certain bans due to weather.. that machine gun shoot is crazy.  I know it is generally held in the cooler fall  weather.