Bt Doctur

current regs on firearms and ammo

On 1/3/2018 at 8:28 PM, Bt Doctur said:

Using a pickup  with bed cover

Pistol and pistol ammunition, mags empty,

Rifles and ammunition

Shotguns and ammunition

small game hunting I just throw a vest with shells and shotgun in the bed

Cased/boxed firearm  in cab or bed, ammunition is ?

The "magic word" is "SEPARATE"!  Here's a more thorough explanation.  Three part answer:

1.  For travel from within NJ by a NJ resident to an exempt NJ location w/o a NJFPID card:  Firearm in cab cased or boxed.  Ammo (even loaded mags) in a locked ammo can also in cab, and placed as far away from drivers' seat as practicality will permit.

2.  For travel from within NJ by a NJ resident to an exempt location within NJ WITH a NJFPID card:  Firearm (long gun) in cab unloaded & uncased is technically LEGAL, but not recommended.  In fact Nappen says that the unloaded long gun can be in your hand and you can wave it out a window!  (I'm not testing that idea either, lol)!  If a hand gun:  a "securely tied package" of brown craft paper & bakery string will do, then you may simply toss it on your front passenger seat (again, it's LEGAL, but not recommended).  So whether or not you drive a pick-up has very little to do with transportation law.  If driving a sedan w/ a trunk, an unloaded & uncased hand gun can simply be tossed into the trunk along with loose ammo or mags splayed all over it, scratchin' it to hell.  As long as the cars' trunk is locked, that hand gun (or the dozens you're transporting in the same manner) is considered SECURED!

3.  For travel to another state for competition, plinking, etc.:  Firearm in cab.  Tiny padlocks installed OR trigger locks.  If no locks used, then transport firearms in bed of truck.  Mags unloaded & stored with firearm.  Boxed & loose ammo in a locked container stored away from Drivers' seat (in bed of truck is over-kill, but if you have a secure area to place it where it won't roll-around, even better).  YOU ARE NOW FOLLOWING INTERSTATE FOPA RULES!  Note:  THIS CONDITION ISN'T REQUIRED for staying in NJ (intrastate transportation).

IANAL, I only play on here :)  I hope that I've answered your question to your satisfaction.  If you require more info, come & see us (the Coalition of New Jersey Firearm Owners) at Raritan Center Expo Hall this Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday at the Garden State Outdoor Sports Show.  We'll be right next to the NRA's booth :) 

Rosey

http://www.cnjfo.com 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus Meridius said:

Kind of useless to have.. if you can't shoot em..  They are not cheap and no good for the barrel either. 

Tracers do no more harm to a barrel than conventional ammo.  The tracing compound doesn't ignite until the bullet is several feet from the muzzle.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

hhmm...wonder why knob creek hasn't burned down yet.

23 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus Meridius said:

Good one.. I know it is in it's own berm area.. but surrounded by trees.. wonder if there are certain bans due to weather.. that machine gun shoot is crazy.  I know it is generally held in the cooler fall  weather. 

Military ranges often have fires started by tracers and other munitions expended. A real  PITA as if a fire starts it needs to be monitored and all ranges have to be shut down so Range Control can go put out the fire. If it's very dry the military will shut down ranges not only for tracers but other types of ammo.  They are very good at controlling this.  If they weren't range fires at Fort Dix would have burned the Pine Barrens down years ago.

If you really want to see a range fire start easy fire an illumination artillery round that doesn't burn out while still in the air as it should.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Military ranges often have fires started by tracers and other munitions expended. A real  PITA as if a fire starts it needs to be monitored and all ranges have to be shut down so Range Control can go put out the fire. If it's very dry the military will shut down ranges not only for tracers but other types of ammo.  They are very good at controlling this.  If they weren't range fires at Fort Dix would have burned the Pine Barrens down years ago.

If you really want to see a range fire start easy fire an illumination artillery round that doesn't burn out while still in the air as it should.

I know.. one landed in a sand berm and turned the sand to glass that was so hot.. 

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

for some reason reading this made me think of an episode of top gear. where clarkson got to fire .50 cal at a car they were killing. his comment? something like "this gun is so powerful it set the ground on fire".

• Like 1