Scorpio64

Snow Day !!!!

Gov. Chris Christie

Declaring state of emergency in Cape May, Atlantic, Ocean & Monmouth Counties. All state offices will now be closed. Please stay off the roads and stay sheltered and warm.

5:29 AM - 4 Jan 2018

It's official, my office is closed for the day.  Kinda cracks me up that 70% of vehicles on the road these days are 4x4, or AWD, suv's, trucks and  crossovers, and nobody  is allowed to go out because they call this storm a blizzard and declare a state of emergency when only 10" is expected to fall. 

Has anyone been out on the roads yet?

Gov. Chris Christie

Declaring state of emergency in Cape May, Atlantic, Ocean & Monmouth Counties. All state offices will now be closed. Please stay off the roads and stay sheltered and warm.

5:29 AM - 4 Jan 2018  
  It's official, my office is closed for the day.  Kinda cracks me up that 70% of vehicles on the road these days are 4x4, or AWD, suv's, trucks and  crossovers, and nobody  is allowed to go out because they call this storm a blizzard and declare a state of emergency when only 10" is expected to fall. 
My damn Jura has yet to arrive so I had to go get my Vanilla Flat White. It's Blizzard Conditions and roads are iced over. I wouldn't suggest venturing out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I had the good fortune to be in Erie during this year's Christmas snow storm. 56.5 inches in a 48 hour period.

We drove between the hotel and the inlaws a couple times without incident.  It's amazing what happens when you have good tires, a brain, and drive with caution... you can actually get places even when there's a metric fuckton of snow on the ground.  Hard pack is easy to drive on.

I was commenting to someone locally about the icing.  It's because they insisted on laying down an inch layer of salt.  All that does is melt just enough snow to re-freeze on the road surface as ice, making it MORE dangerous than just snow alone.

• Like 1

I just tried to head into work - I live by Sandy Hook and work in Central Middlesex County and my daily route takes me along the bayshore in Monmouth county. We are getting hammered here on the coast.

I turned around about 5 miles out from home. I will try to go in again later - I’m lucky in my position I can flex my schedule, as long as I work my hours in the week.

The roads do suck but the wind blown snow is the big safety issue. Visibility just flat sucks. It varies between 50 yards and 5 feet second to second. People were sliding through red lights right across Rt 36 from cross streets.

If you don’t absolutely have to go anywhere, stay home.

Stay safe. Stay warm.

No snow when I was coming to work.   Of course I left at 5:15 so I could miss the traffic, 42 minutes later I'm at work.  Normally it takes me 50-55 minutes in the morning.

By the time i got to work, it was blowing pretty hard.  I had a tough commute across the parking lot since I was too lazy to zip up my coat.

Just now, JackDaWack said:

My Wrangler has snow tires on it, they didn't even plow here yet... I slid all the way down my hill and wound up on jumping the curb at the bottom to keep from flying into the street. 

We're getting like pellets of frozen snow. 

Yikes.  Good luck getting back up.  Good thing it's a wrangler... 

Just now, Krdshrk said:

Yikes.  Good luck getting back up.  Good thing it's a wrangler... 

With front and rear lockers it never gets stuck, lol. Its just heavy so it's hard to stop. 

People never believe me, but the best car I had for the snow was a Honda Accord with blizzaks. 

3 minutes ago, T Bill said:

Just NE of the Delaware Water Gap wind is howling, light snow, and about an inch om the ground.  Route 80 is a mess, calls all over the place.

When I was on 80 they didn't even plow it, between rt15 and Parsippany at least. Real shit show.

i'm typing this from work because Corp won't close for anything....they'll make us come in, then realize that it's getting worse, then send everyone home early, you know, during the worst part of the storm.  Bassackward nimrods.

It's getting pretty bad here in mid-west Burlington county and they haven't even attempted to clear anything.  Even the turnpike has a mix of slush, packed snow and blowing powder.  

• Like 1

10" in Bricktucky. I already did the driveway, easier to finish later. Our business is based on trucks in & out so they closed (smart). UPS is the only thing on my road today so far. That's gotta be a fun truck in this weather. I am ready to deploy my army of snow beers for later.

• Like 1

As of 12:30p.m.

From APP

Monmouth County

• Middletown (Lincroft): 9.5
  • Shrewsbury: 8.8
  • Freehold: 6.5
  • Aberdeen: 5.5
  • Manalapan: 5
  • Long Branch: 4
  • Manasquan: 1.5

Ocean County

• Bayville: 16
  • Brick: 12.5
  • Toms River: 10.3
  • Mantoloking: 9.5
  • Manahawkin: 7
  • Tuckerton: 5.5
  • Stafford: 5
  • Bayville: 4.5
  • Barnegat: 4
  • Lakehurst: 4
  • Toms River: 3.5
  • Berkeley: 3.3 
  • Jackson: 3
  • Forked River: 2.5
  • Lakewood: 2
  • Whiting: 2
  • Elsewhere

Margate (Atlantic Co.): 16
  • Northfield (Atlantic Co.): 12
  • Green Creek (Cape May Co.): 11
  • Erma (Cape May Co.): 11
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

As of 12:30p.m.

From APP

Monmouth County

• Middletown (Lincroft): 9.5
  • Shrewsbury: 8.8
  • Freehold: 6.5
  • Aberdeen: 5.5
  • Manalapan: 5
  • Long Branch: 4
  • Manasquan: 1.5

Ocean County

• Bayville: 16
  • Brick: 12.5
  • Toms River: 10.3
  • Mantoloking: 9.5
  • Manahawkin: 7
  • Tuckerton: 5.5
  • Stafford: 5
  • Bayville: 4.5
  • Barnegat: 4
  • Lakehurst: 4
  • Toms River: 3.5
  • Berkeley: 3.3 
  • Jackson: 3
  • Forked River: 2.5
  • Lakewood: 2
  • Whiting: 2
  • Elsewhere

Margate (Atlantic Co.): 16
  • Northfield (Atlantic Co.): 12
  • Green Creek (Cape May Co.): 11
  • Erma (Cape May Co.): 11

Ya, AC is getting hammered! And the shore isn’t used to this stuff.

Funny watching all the predictions mutate as snow fell.

8 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

We’re at over 12” here at Sandy Hook bayshore with drifts over 21” and my front walkway almost blown completely clear by the wind.

The wind is making the snow weird.  Can see grass in some spots and 3' drifts in others.  I don't even know if it's possible to take an accurate measurement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, capt14k said:

My damn Jura has yet to arrive so I had to go get my Vanilla Flat White. It's Blizzard Conditions and roads are iced over. I wouldn't suggest venturing out.

How’s the machine?

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

With front and rear lockers it never gets stuck, lol. Its just heavy so it's hard to stop. 

People never believe me, but the best car I had for the snow was a Honda Accord with blizzaks. 

I believe you.  I had a big BMW 740 IL with rear wheel drive and Blizzaks on all four corners.  Threw a 60# of cement over each rear wheel and that car could out drive most four wheel drives.  Winter tires make a HUGE difference.

How’s the machine?
I wouldn't know. Seller hasn't even shipped it yet. She is in CA and said she would try and ship today. I'm sure it will arrive just as the weather gets warmer.